Pandora How to Port an App from A to Z : Pandoralive

Pardon me if this is a dense question, but what is the main advantage of code::blocks over cdevtools if you are editing/compiling from the shell? Are there more included -dev libraries or somesuch?

Pardon me if this is a dense question, but what is the main advantage of code::blocks over cdevtools if you are editing/compiling from the shell? Are there more included -dev libraries or somesuch?
Yes, I have added many new libs in code::blocks.

For the Dillo browser, for example, I think it needs FLTK libs, which are include in code::blocks. You would have to download & compile yourself (plus maybe other libs needed to build FLTK, I don't remember) before beeing able to compile Dillo.

Plus, the GCC compiler and Binutils linker & assembler are more recent in code::blocks (gcc 4.7.2 / 4.4.3 and binutil 2.22 / 2.19).

But it will works on cdevtools too.

Ok Neelix lets stick to facts shall we?

The article has been viewed more than 200 times and there is zero complaints in the related comments. 

I have received zero email from the contact form about the contents being an issue.
This is actually consistent with my point. I would expect most people who find the images off-putting to simply close the page and look elsewhere. You still get a view from it because they loaded the page to begin with, but no complaints because they wouldn't bother to stick around long enough to read through the entire article or comment on it.

In any case I have to agree with pmprog that the number views on this article is meaningless in this context, as the forum drama is likely to have inflated it.

Besides, the only feedback i received from my proactive post on the forum was almost exclusively about the pictures and almost nothing about the contents. This coming from seasonned developpers on Pandora. One has to wonder who is being the more counterproductive ones in this story.
Thus proving my first point - it detracts greatly from the point the content itself. This also directly contradicts your previous point of having received no complaints.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to dissappoint you Neelix, but I just checked again to be sure, the article of Dredd has the second longest average time spent on the page among all articles published so far. So your theory of people closing the page after opening it does not stand well versus reality.

...thus driving home the point that the audience you really want is those who...stay...extra long on a web page with boobies?

Sorry to dissappoint you Neelix, but I just checked again to be sure, the article of Dredd has the second longest average time spent on the page among all articles published so far. So your theory of people closing the page after opening it does not stand well versus reality.

*shrugs*  that doesn't really surprise me, given the nature of the article.

The fact that you are referring to these statistics however just shows me you have entirely missed my point.   I concede that most of the current readership probably aren't too worried about it.  I expect most of them fit into the demographic that the images would appeal to, myself included. 

However I firmly believe use of those those images is restricting your potential audience to it's current majority demographic by alienating a fair number of those outside that demographic who might otherwise show an interest.

Indeed it  has already been shown in the course of this this thread that the use of these images is costing you word of mouth referrals by those who don't feel comfortable recommending the page as a result.

I suppose a lot depends on your intentions for the blog.   If you simply wish to pander to your existing fan base then perhaps you might be on the right track.   If you wish to attract new blood into the community  then you need to be able to appeal to the wider audience.

- Neelix

...thus driving home the point that the audience you really want is those who...stay...extra long on a web page with boobies?
Huh, I dont think they stayed very long checking three pictures. That page is not a boobies gallery or something. Its fairly clear they have been READING the text, since the time spent is proportionally consistant with the amount of text observed on other posts published so far. Thats exactly what I want, yes. 

My girlfriend's comment: "all those women wanted those photos to be taken of them"

My girlfriend's comment: "all those women wanted those photos to be taken of them"
 Maybe, but did anyone ask them if they're OK with their photographs being redistributed in this way?
They usually sign contracts which allow their images to be used as the photographer chooses. The Linux Power image almost certainly is fine to repost - the ones of ladies in bras and such are less certain, but given the setting they're taken in I doubt that they care much about who actually sees them.
D.

The fact that you are referring to these statistics however just shows me you have entirely missed my point.  

[...snip...]

I suppose a lot depends on your intentions for the blog.   If you simply wish to pander to your existing fan base then perhaps you might be on the right track.   If you wish to attract new blood into the community  then you need to be able to appeal to the wider audience.

- Neelix
Exactly.

Indeed it  has already been shown in the course of this this thread that the use of these images is costing you word of mouth referrals by those who don't feel comfortable recommending the page as a result.
If you want to expand your audience, it's never really a good indication to listen ONLY to the ones who have been involved with the Pandora for a long time. This being said, I take a careful look at all feedback.

Yes, they are overly sexual, perhaps mildly sexist. I really don't care.

[...]

If you still have a big problem with the mildly erotic imagery in my post, kindly fuck off and read something else.
You can read whichever you choose or most likely neither.  Now fuck off!   :)
I'm sorry DaMummy that I did not include any erotic pictures of horses for your pleasure.
Those reactions prove that there really is an eleven year old boy behind that article. We should not be so harsh, DREDD will hopefully learn to behave when he gets older...

what is the main advantage of code::blocks over cdevtools if you are editing/compiling from the shell?
klapse, thanks for reminding me about cdevtools. I added a comment on my article, comparing the two:

cdevtools is a fine alternative to codeblocks.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=cdevtools.freamon.40n8e

codeblocks comes with more tools and libraries, and a GUI. cdevtools is a much lighter download (67MB as opposed to ~1GB), and more compatible with the Pandora firmware (e.g. no need to include libstdc++.so in a PND). IIRC, our codeblocks PND was built based on cdevtools.

Here is a “cdev” script, similar to my “cbdev” script, for using cdevtools from another shell (e.g. ssh).

http://sam.nipl.net/code/pandora/misc/cdev
Maybe, but did anyone ask them if they're OK with their photographs being redistributed in this way?
Yes, of course. Like I said, I took those photos myself. Also, Jess Alba is my sister.

Those reactions prove that there really is an eleven year old boy behind that article. We should not be so harsh, DREDD will hopefully learn to behave when he gets older...
If you want to insult me, don't try to do that by comparing me to a child. I like children, children are awesome!

I would like to contribute some more articles to pandoralive in future, on porting and creating games. With reduced smut-factor!

They will skip most of the tedious crap covered in this Dillo one, and instead cover other nonsense, such as:

- using Notaz sdl-omap for full-screen

- using pandora buttons and nubs instead of W A S D

- coding with SDL and GLES on Pandora

- dealing with the FAT32 appdata issue in more detail

I guess for the game making article I will have to make a game. That will be fun.

I just couldn't care less about theses images...

Dredd took times to write a nice article. Other people should write article rather than whining about that article and give cretits to Dredd works...

Back