How Many Of You Had A Gp2X?

I picked up my GP2X back in 2007 when I found an add in the back of a issue of Retrogamer. I still use it all the time!!!! Its how I found all this crazy open source stuff all together!

You will all hate me but i think the gp looks shit ,psp was sooo much better but now i have a slim and the psp slim is dreadfull compaired to the psp fat 1000 ,i hope the pandora is nothing like any of the gp systems in terms of controls ,screen ,sound quality or power.

GP2X's "stick" was awful and the battery life was miserable. However, that was about it. Homebrew on it was stellar.

The complaints about the GP2X and GPH are essentially what led to the Pandora.

I will agree that the PSP slim is pretty nicely put together.

I am not saying the psp slim is nice at all ,i hate the slim model ,very cheap ,display is not what everyone says in regards to ghosting ,the fat model i had did have a much better screen and the slim speakers are not good ,crackles when the volume is at full ,this is not only my slim but i have two brothers and both have slims and i can confirm the display and speakers are bad ,then theres the umd door and internals that are easy broken and the creeking noisy thin case grrr i hate it.

Two things i hate are cheap plastic and clunky noisy buttons and dpad ,i really hope the panda is solid and has quiet controls,tho not sure about the controls as i have heard MWeston trying out streetfighter

2 years ago, almost to the day, I was looking for something that would just give me simple ssh access back to my computer, something smaller than a laptop, but still enough to let me do some work remotely. My custom firmware PSP tided over my emulation desires, but it didn't really have any typing capability. The GP2X had a USB host which, combined with a HUB+collapsible keyboard+wifi stick gave me the semi-portable remote computing I desired.
"But wait!" I was told. "This new thing we've just dubbed the Pandora is in final prototype stages! It does all that in a single package! No need for hub/keyboard/wifi stick!"
If I had known then how long this was actually going to take, I'd have probably gotten the GP2X combo anyway. I'd have probably still ordered into the Pandora in the first batch, but at least I'd have had something that would have worked for a while.

socket said:
I had an F-100, sold it when I got my DS, then sold the DS when I got my PSP... Waiting for the Pandora... very (im)patiently.... All I use the PSP for is emulation.
Correction, I sold my DS to help justify fronting the funds for the Pandora. I've since bought an eeepc when I realized this would take forever, and then sold it when I thought the Pandora's release was imminent probably a year or so ago... SIGH... Since THEN I bought my PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in 2005 I read an article in wired magazine about the gp2x f-100. At the time I have played emulators on a PC but I was unaware of any handhelds playing emulators. I got one right away. The controls were poor but not quite as bad as some people make it seem. And the early emulators partially the snes were not very good. The software improved a lot but the thing that killed it for me was the battery life. I tried several different brands of rechargeable batteries they all sucked. I think that people who ordered a Pandora who want to replace there gp2x/wiz won’t be disappointed at all. The bar is set pretty low. However I am worried about the pda/mid/umpc/whatever you call a handheld general computer people. I think some of these people might be disappointed with the early software and there might be some backlash.

Got my GP2X F100 in June 2006...had a blast playing all the old favourites on it for about 2 years. The joystick is pretty much worn out, and I don't think it runs on batteries anymore, only AC.

Good times though. I can't remember how I first heard of it...an emulation forum somewhere. That said, I can't remember where I heard about Pandora first either, but I pre-ordered first day. It'll still be worth the wait.

aaronson911 said:
However I am worried about the pda/mid/umpc/whatever you call a handheld general computer people. I think some of these people might be disappointed with the early software and there might be some backlash.

Considering it should be able to run any piece of open source linux software (as long as the software doesn't exceed the Pandora's hardware capability) then I don't see why there should be any problems. Any people who are new Linux users will likely have some problems customizing though.

I have an F-100 that I bought about 5-6 months after they came out. I broke the first joystick nub right away, bought a replacement, carry 2 sets of re-chargable batteries and it still runs great, I have been playing MAME quite a bit lately (even though Star Castle doesn't show video on it, everything else I have tried works great)!

I heard about Pandora at the very beginning, but just lurked until December and ordered when I was certain that it was coming out soon! :)

@quadomatic

Maybe you are right. I guess we will have to wait and see. Keep in mind not all ‘open source linux software’ is designed for the screen resolution, screen size, or input of the Pandora.

I bought a GP2X towards the end of its shelf-life. It would only clock to 220Mhz, but the upshot of that was that the battery life was pretty good. Until one day, after not using it for a month or so I turned it on and it guzzled through a set of fully charged batteries in less than an hour. Did exactly the same with the next two sets I tried. I even bough a set of non rechargeables and the same problem happened.

I sold it (as faulty) on ebay.

As it happens I really liked the little control stick thingy.

I bought a DS and had that for about a year (almost exactly a year, come to think of it). Gave it to my dad when his broke as I had, in the mean time, purchased a Dingoo.

My laptop recently broke so I replaced it with an Eee and I'm thinking of selling the Dingoo now, as I really couldn't afford a new laptop in the first place, and the Eee follows me around more than the Dingoo these days. Though DosBOX is just about to come out for Dingoo and I *really* wanna give that a try before I let it go!

aaronson911 said:
@quadomatic

Maybe you are right. I guess we will have to wait and see. Keep in mind not all ‘open source linux software’ is designed for the screen resolution, screen size, or input of the Pandora.

That's true, but that doesn't mean there isn't a suitable piece of software which would work with Pandora to substitute for the standard (e.g., Arora instead of Firefox)

@Pleng

DAMN, yours only got to 220Mhz? That's really unfortunate. IIRC, I generally ran mine at 280Mhz.

My GP2X had the battery life problem too, towards the end of its life. I lost the stick cap and ended up with a callous on my thumb. It could clock to 290mhz stable though :D

1 gp2x f100
2 gp2x f200's
and since the topic is going that way...

2 gba sp
1 gb micro
1 ds phat > traded in
on 3rd ds lite.
1 dsi

1 psp phat modded for homebrew > zero interest in the commercial games for it.

1 dingoo

1 sega nomad (portable genesis) awesome and well before it's time but the worst battery life of any hand held known to man.

and a drawer full of older devices like
2 atari lynx's with around 18 carts and the link cable for multiplay
a variety of older gameboys including all models except the virtual boy.
a pair of game gears

Belthos

I have a GP32 BLU+. Originally wanted to upgrade to a GP2X, but lack of funds delayed that indefinitely. By the time I had money for a new handheld, commercial games had convinced me to buy a refurbished DS Classic and a GOW PSP. By the time I returned to opensource handhelds, the Pandora seemed imminent.

Caught a link from b3ta advertising an SDK for a small Korean Game Gear rip-off.

Wrote a couple of games (Green and zTunnel are overlooked classics IMO) and then learned c.

Haven't looked back.

Back