How Many Of You Had A Gp2X?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I was looking at the dates people joined the forum, and I started wondering how many of you all actually owned a GP2X?

I got mine in 2007, used off of someone on the Anandtech forum. After a while I d-pad modded it using Bacteria's instructions. It worked quite well for fighting games.

I ended up taking it apart again to try and put in an ACTUAL d-pad, but I ended up messing up the case pretty bad trying to melt it (and ended up ruining my radio$hack soldering iron...which is okay since it led to me getting a Weller). I could've put back the old mod, but I never felt like it, and some of the wires I soldered ended up breaking off since I used 30 AWG wire. Once the Dingoo showed up, I just picked up one of those.

I was mostly disappointed by SNES emulation. It didn't work nearly as well as I would've hoped (pretty much nothing ran fullspeed without frameskip...but then that was probably an unrealistic expectation). However, the CPS2 emu was fantastic. The GnGeo2x emu was good, but not nearly as good as CPS2.

Did you have a GP2X? If so, when did you get it?

I got mine at the start of 2008. I d-pad modded it using Gruso's instructions. :D

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OqJHOOCSFxw[/media]

Have to agree, CPS2 emulation was a big standout. Although I got all the mileage I could out of just about every emulator. It went unplayed for a good while thanks to the Dingoo, but I've been toying with it again recently and rediscovering just how good some of the homebrew is. It's bulky but still feels better to hold than the Dingoo.

I did my judging for the Pandora Angst comp last night. There are some very nice GP2X entries, and it was great throwing 8 or 9 new apps onto the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I like the Dingoo, but it absolutely cannot top the homebrew on the GP2X. There was so much stuff...so much original stuff. The GP2X functioned infinitely better than the Dingoo does also, though GMenu2X on the Dingoo has finally made the Dingoo MUCH more useful. I have no idea why people are still using Dmenu.

The GP2X scene also functioned far better than the Dingoo scene. Finding the latest releases of Dingoo software is a huge pain the ass. Everyone keeps uploading to sites like Mediafire and Filefront. People in the GP2X scene ALWAYS used the file archive, and people sometimes even made attempts to update files so that the links would remain the same. Because no one adheres to one site, finding new software is a total charlie foxtrot.

I had a GP2X and a GP32 before that. I found this forum while looking for a small portable media player to watch anime on, GP32 seemed like a great idea back before all the chinese players with NES emulators hit the scene. But I fell behind with updating the firmware (it still has the old original "cheesy" fw as it was occasionally referred to as) and the visibility was a bit on the poor side being a FLU so I eventually got tired of trying to stay on the front edge of everything GP32 related.

I stepped away for a while and came back after seeing an ad for the 2X somewhere while once again looking for a decent media player, so I hung on a few months to watch the break up of Gamepark into GPH until that came out and tried to enjoy it despite the wacky controls (and it was easier to buy SD cards than Smart Media cards) and it was easier to watch anime on not to meantion more power of course. But the fw updates started to become very complicated. Between having to have an account with GPH (where the english section wasnt always working too hot, and the korean was confusing) and people kept screwing up the updates and after reading a couple of different how-to posts on how to get the "right" fw and how to exactly install it, which were both different, I gave up trying to update, In the meantime people (DaveC) was starting the joystick mod and rumblings of the F200 started just as I lost the cap to my joystick and finding that he was getting more requests for the mod than he could handle I just gave up and it joined my GP32 on the shelf.

I toyed with the idea of getting the F200 but all the FW changes in the past left a bad taste in my mouth not to mention I still had a working F100 with the exception of the missing cap. Having 2 GP2X2 seemed silly so I came back after a few months to see if I could find someone here to sell it to, only to find out about both the Dingoo and the Wiz, one seemed like it'd be undersupported and the other wash another GPH device which I still wasnt sure I was all that comfortable with, then I found out that the Pandora project that had once been nothing more than a dream in a couple of Forum user's sketch books had gotten ridiculously close to being a reality and decided to hang out and see how things went.

Yeah I'm still waiting for the thing but I havent seen anything that fits my needs better. crazy right?

I bought my GP2X a month or two before they suddenly stopped making them. I hated the battery life and find the form factor of the Dingoo a lot better minus shoulder buttons, should have made those better on Dingoo.

I would have bought a Pandora but went with the GP2X since Pandora was still in development preproduction in March of 2008.

Peace & 420

Link

Like Alpha2, I got my GP32 FLU at the beginning of the year 2004, after spending a few months deciding between the GP32 and the GBA. Mostly for emulators, SMS back then. I glass-modded it to make the picture clearer (and the unit more weighty), but then sold it and bought a BLU.

Yet it seems that the more you have, the more you want, applies on emulation too. Even though Genesis emulation was great, SNES was a bit far from it, so the GP2X followed. As it no longer works off batteries, it is only used when I am ill and can play with it off an AC adapter.

All in all, I am glad it was the GamePark route instead of the GameBoy one, as the scene has been much more friendly and productive :) Now I have been waiting for the Pandora from the first mentioning of it more than three years ago.

Have to say that for development, the GP32 was the best playground for me. It was so much like the old MS-DOS C days. Hopefully it will return with the Pandora.

PS. Whoa, probably my longest message in those years :)

GP32 BLU, GP2X F100 and waiting for my Pandora :)

I used the 32 the most, finished many many NES and Mega Drive games on it. The battery of the 2X was a huge put down, so I have it beside my bed connected to a wall socket and I play with an hour or so weekly. I will be traveling next week and will take it with me (with many many rechargeable batteries), heard a lot about issues with batteries for ppl who use it with their AC adapter mostly, so I might charge a pair and leave it on this evening to see how long it will last.

I have 3 of the original GP2X's, albeit with my custom knobs made out of pure jewellers silver .. ;)

Sidenote, I don't have any of the handhelds these forums are about (Pandora upcoming), but I love looking at the join-dates of the people in this thread.

I almost bought an F100, and then later I almost bought an F200, but I was put off by the tales of inadequate D-pads and battery life. That all led me to the Pandora, although I didn't invest straight away. I would always come back and check whether it was released yet (I was deathly afraid of joining forums back then).

GP32 FLU with glass screen mod
GP32 BLU
GP2X First Edition with ultra-crap joystick
Dingoo
Wiz
Pandora (soon)

I miss the days of the GP32, I'd still rate it as the best console I've ever owned. I spent many, many hours using that machine. The FLU was great for outdoor use, but the BLU was such a good screen everywhere else. Great controls too.

I never liked the GP2X F100 at all. I am aware that there is a lot of software for it, but I just hated the controls.

I like the Dingoo, but it was an impulse buy while waiting for the Wiz & Pandora to be released. Good machine, but when the Wiz finally arrived the screen and build quality outclassed the Dingoo and I decided to get rid of it to a mate. I use the Wiz occasionally, and I like the thing a lot, but I'm holding off a lot of gaming until I receive my Pandora (and have been holding off for a while now.)

I hope the Pandora returns these forums to how they were in the both the GP32 and GP2X days. I don't know whether it is the constant waiting and nothing to talk about, or we have attracted a different crowd now, but these forums are not exactly friendly at the moment. I mainly lurk now. It has got to the point where key developers (e.g., Vimacs) have gone because of the bickering and members of OpenPandora team (ED & MW) have decided to limit what they post in fear that it'll be taken out of context.

Somewhere during 2005/2006 I bought a GP2X F-100 MK2 via some Dutch collective-buying website. I needed a device which could do emulating stuff pretty well, and also video, music, etcetera. The F-100 was the way to go, there was nothing else on the market that supported my open source ideas and the portable possibilities that I wished for. Had a lot of fun with it, and everyone I showed it too was pretty amazed.

Last year I also bought a Wiz. Because my F-100 had died on me while I was transforming it into a full blown arcade stick... Well, even if it didn't die I would have bought it anyways. It's a really great piece of hardware! Especially the screen is stunning and a real leap forward compared to the old F-100. I rate it even above the PSP and the DS.

I also ordered a Pandora. Mainly to support the idea of a 100% open source device, which was to be created by the community itself. Nobody ever tried this kind of thing, so I put in some money to help make it happen. A full pocket PC with gaming controls, yay!!

I find these forums to be the best I've ever been to, I can't vouch for the old days but there is definitely a good level of maturity and helpfulness going on around here (MOST of the time), and by maturity I just mean that we don't have illiterate posters that write in txt speak and call each other gay every five minutes, rather than the knob gags and innuendo that comes from me.

Back