How Many In Total?

svs-57 said:
I think you must finish first batch and only then organize new production process.

Here's a hypothetical for you. What if they were, say, 4400,000 USD in the hole and needed second batch money to complete the first batch - or go bust leaving only a few hundred Pandoras in the world, ever. What should they do then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in response to this tweeted question:

@Craigix How many, do you think? I'm 600 - 700 in the queue, so I was wondering if I'd receive mine this week. I hops so! :D

http://twitter.com/Burnthechildren/status/15130865582

Craigix answered:

@Burnthechildren Probably next week. I'm Having some time off on thursday and friday after Ed and MW leave. Then it's back to work on mon.

http://twitter.com/Craigix/statuses/15138314501

Which means they are not expected to get to the 600-700 mark until after the break this coming weekend, which is after they ship hundreds out this week.

It's clearly quite a time-consuming production at the moment, and it is right they are taking steps to speed this up in the future, though I do think it would help to give guidance about what numbers have shipped. There are loads of posts and loads of threads consistently about this.

silver said:
Well in response to this tweeted question:

@craigix How many, do you think? I'm 600 - 700 in the queue, so I was wondering if I'd receive mine this week. I hops so! :D

http://twitter.com/Burnthechildren/status/15130865582

Craigix answered:

@Burnthechildren Probably next week. I'm Having some time off on thursday and friday after Ed and MW leave. Then it's back to work on mon.

http://twitter.com/Craigix/statuses/15138314501

Which means they are not expected to get to the 600-700 mark until after the break this coming weekend, which is after they ship hundreds out this week.

It's clearly quite a time-consuming production at the moment, and it is right they are taking steps to speed this up in the future, though I do think it would help to give guidance about what numbers have shipped. There are loads of posts and loads of threads consistently about this.
If you are at position 600 to 700 in Craigs list it means that you are *not* among the first 700 devices. The reason is that 1/4 of the first devices goes to ED. So at position 600 in Craigs list would mean that you might get the device number 800. For the devices >700 some more boards have the arrive first, those are expected at the end of this week. So yeah, it can just be produced next week.

Xtreme2k said:
craigix said:
We can't continue the way it is, it takes too long. We spent *DAYS* just sticking on batch labels, bumpers, adhesive strips etc. Not good.

Craig, I believe you that this would save time for the whole project including the second (and maybe third) batch. It will, however, surely not speed up the remaining first batch units because the time for communicating the changes with the chinese, getting samples etc. will be more than the few days you would need to stick on those labels to the 3000 pandoras. You have to understand that I - like probably most of the people who pre-ordered - have no interest in speeding up the next batches. We have waited a really long time and expect you to get _our_ ones out as fast as possible, not further delaying it for your own future interests.

Craig please listen to this post!!! , It sais it all! :eek:

But I guess it's already too late... :(

Ivanovic said:
If you are at position 600 to 700 in Craigs list it means that you are *not* among the first 700 devices. The reason is that 1/4 of the first devices goes to ED. So at position 600 in Craigs list would mean that you might get the device number 800. For the devices >700 some more boards have the arrive first, those are expected at the end of this week. So yeah, it can just be produced next week.

Ah, that might make it less confusing. I'm actually around 800 according to openpandora (above twitters not me). Although I have to say, when I emailed to ask where I was in the queue, there was no comments about which queue that was. I just assumed I was, overall, around 800 in the list.

I don't really mind - a few more weeks is neither here nor there against the timescale of years of delay - though it has made very confusing about numbers. A tweet saying - "we've made over 500 so far, 200 now with ED" would help people know if it was this week, next week, next month, 2 mon.... etc..etc..

craigix said:
Just stick with us while we get this right early on rather than later.
It's not getting easier, but I will.

craigix said:
We can't continue the way it is, it takes too long. We spent *DAYS* just sticking on batch labels, bumpers, adhesive strips etc. Not good.

We need further organisation to speed things up, and these small changes we want will be worth it because they will mean the next 8000+ will be so much more easy to build.

I paid 1,5 years ago. I don´t have any interest in speeding up the 2.Batch. I paid to be in the first batch. If you move the next 3000 Pandoras to the second batch I will claim my money back.

If i knew this was going to happen then I never had to preorder one , then I just had to order a pandora from the second batch , because the speed doesn't matter anymore then. :(

craigix said:

We need further organisation to speed things up, and these small changes we want will be worth it because they will mean the next 8000+ will be so much more easy to build.

I'm going to be a PITA and ask that you grin and bear the customer backlash that could be heading your way, and provide the following as some snippets of reason for WHY customers may not be happy with this decision to give the plastics factory more work - especially as (for quality's sake) it will require more samples to be sent from China:

craigix said:
There isn't any accepting to do, these are the MP cases.

We just wanted the photos for a sort of insurance that they had built units.

craigix said:
But alas it had to be China with our budget.

You have to understand they just lie and lie and lie to us... It's all smoke and mirrors constantly. This is just how they seem to do business.

Anyway the good news is that all the final case samples have been absolutely superb.

The decline of manufacturing in the west is all due to this smoke and mirrors Chinese crap. I bet most companies go though it, save very little money, but stick with it because they invested so much. It's one big long con by China.

If I can I'll move that case production to the west at the earliest possible opportunity because I'm not falling for it.

craigix said:
That about sums up the shitty way they do business. Dishonest and lazy.

It is why I won't ever use a Chinese company again (that and reading up on how they treat their workers).

... however for all the hassle I would have rather paid more in the UK over a 12 month contract.

I'll be proud to put 'Not made in China' on the Pandora, and to support local business - and the price of the Pandora won't change a great deal.

craigix said:
We will get them, we will pull out of China. Problem solved.

I'll sleep better at night.

craigix said:
Pleng said:
Which leads us to ask why you went with a Chinese company in the first place?

Because I wanted to find out the reality for myself. That's just how I like to do things.

No, we didn't know how this factory treated people, or how they would treat us. Now we know. Now I'm taking the business away from them.

Simple isn't it?

Now I'd like to do some of my evil editorialising, to help clarify how I believe some will read those (and many other) posts you've made on the topic in context, as they happened. As with the quotes above, the order I'll put my thoughts in seems reasonable but isn't necessarily 100% chronological.

1. You bought from China, believing that you could not afford to get them made anywhere else at a cost you/we/the market could bear. Despite being aware of the reputation that China has - because "that's just how you like to do things".
2. The plastics factory have treated you/us poorly, and you have discovered that they treat their staff inhumanely as well. Disgusted, you declare that you will pull out of China at the earliest opportunity.
3. You assure us that you can not only get more cases made outside of China, but that it will not cost much more to do so - prices can remain either the same, or poretty close to it, with Western manufacturing.
4. Having brought assembly "home to the UK" instead of in the USA factory originally mentioned, you seem to have found both that the cases aren't quite as good as you'd previously thought/reported (each one needs "tweaking") and that there is more manual labour/it is harder work to assemble than you'd thought.
5. You announce that you are planning to give the Chinese plastics factory more work - one must assume for more money - despite the humanitarian issues that troubled you only quite recently, and despite a couple of assertions that - at the end of the day, using Chinese business to do the work doesn't ACTUALLY work out much cheaper.

At least, that SEEMS to be (a subset of) what you've said. The number of queries this raises is quite gargantuan, but there appears to be a lack of consistency, and I'm too exhausted just from this post to phrase a lot of queries. I hope it's self-evident that this move to give the plastics factory more money AND more time to delay things still further will doubtless cause people to question you quite vigorously. Cut them some slack please. Don't go off on one because it's embarrasing to be questioned so much. Please :)

We don't know how long the wait will be, or how much production can be sped up, though. If you're the very next in line it will probably introduce a delay, but it could be a win for the later parts of the first batch, all depending. If they can at least fix the shoulder button issue, that's an improvement in build quality as well.

It's sad if this is a pretext for another Two Months, but I can't see why you'd blame them for making sound tactical decisions. If someone was going to dig 500 holes, I'd afford him ten minutes to go get a shovel. Even if I suspected they were going to take an hour.

The shoulder button problem is easy to fix. Don't paint them ;) It was a stupid idea to paint them as they will be the first things to wear off, because of their placement and sweaty fingers.

mysticmaus said:
If i knew this was going to happen then I never had to preorder one , then I just had to order a pandora from the second batch , because the speed doesn't matter anymore then. :(

It may. AFAIK there is no way to know/ne sure, but it seems second (and later) batches MIGHT not overclock as well as the first batch units.

mali said:
The shoulder button problem is easy to fix. Don't paint them ;) It was a stupid idea to paint them as they will be the first things to wear off, because of their placement and sweaty fingers.

I don't want to get too far into making recommendations without knowing the flip side/extra details, but - often, less is more. :)

@Maus: I don't want to seem presumptuous, did you order a long time ago? Because if you ordered at the same time that you joined in April this year then I don't understand where your desperation is coming from. I'm not attacking you or anything, it's just that you speak as though you have been waiting a very long time, rather than a month and a half.

Anyway, this decision was probably not taken very lightly. I can't imagine that the guys talked this over and decided to go back to the factory with more work without seriously considering if it was worth it, and having to deal with the inevitable backlash from us. I suppose it's down to being a necessary evil at this point. If we want them faster, we're going to have to trust, as hard as that may be.

Sugar_Kane said:
Anyway, this decision was probably not taken very lightly. I can't imagine that the guys talked this over and decided to go back to the factory with more work without seriously considering if it was worth it, and having to deal with the inevitable backlash from us. I suppose it's down to being a necessary evil at this point. If we want them faster, we're going to have to trust, as hard as that may be.
Agreed. OPT are the guys at ground zero, they're the ones who know what's required to get the job done. There's no way they'd put more responsibility back into the hands of the case factory unless it was really really needed.

mysticmaus said:
I ordered way back in 2009

I think a lot of people officially signed up to post some time after they ordered. Usually to post "So when the duck am I going to get this thing?". I know I did.

I also didn't expect, back in 2008, to be quoting a statement like the one above in 2010 :(

mali said:

Yeah, we tried using unpainted ones in painted cases (Mike got some samples with him) yesterday and they work.
So yeah, telling them to NOT paint them saves the drilling.

No mould change needed, yes.

Last edited:
Gruso said:
EvilDragon said:
No mould change needed, yes.
That sentence will get people going. :D

I suggest people read it as "No mould change needed, correct." :)

:D

Confirmed: No, mold change needed, yes. ;)

Back