How many Pandora's actually out in the wild?

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Or simply put, how many made it to customer hands in total or how many were manufactured total? Just wondering, I thought it was closer to 20-30 thousand but figuring from information I've seen online we might only have 7500 of them max... across 3 different tiers (CC, Rebirth and 1Ghz)

6000 before the last run I think, but I could be mistaken... ED probably knows better than anyone and even though 6000 might be the end produced number, we would also have to factor in defective @ manufacturer and defective not caught @ manufacturer....

Well, I got one of those 2000 Rebirths.  So there's at least one of them in North Carolina.

By the way, I could use some extra spare batteries for my Pandy...is there a way to still get any?

Last edited by a moderator:
Manufactured, as ED says. How many are still used nowadays, is a totally different guess, but my impression is that it's a tiny fraction of the manufactured number.

I don't think so. I still get repairs for very old ones as well :)
Yes, there are probably a lot of people with two Pandoras, so my guess is about 2000 of them are still actively being used.

A shame we got never enough to tell, it's over 9000... Could I get you to lie about the real number, EvilDragon?

Hopefully Pyra will be OVER 9000!!!!
emoji6.png

That would be nice if that resulted in a lowering of the price...I'd love to have a Pyra when it comes out, but just don't know if I am gonna be able to swing it.

I have 3 around me as I speak. A 1ghz in a CC case with a broken headphone jack (infront of me), my CC in the 1ghz silver case that has a broken hinge sensor  (to my right), and my 1ghz my fiancee had with a worn down left shoulder button and wonky left nub. (Right beside the CC)

Yes, there are probably a lot of people with two Pandoras, so my guess is about 2000 of them are still actively being used.

Speaking of....Can nubs still be repaired?  I think mine are bad

I don't know if you are not being overly optimistic here - when I did the poll last year I got only 300+ answers - granted not everyone would answer, but that gives you an idea of the active base size. Then look at the repo downloads, even the most popular PNDs do not get more than a couple of hundred downloads per version.

This being said, it could be that some people keep using their Pandora only for emulation and have no interest in new PNDs.

Estimating the total active base is difficult.

Assuming that I am like the typical user (a risky assumption), judging from repo downloads is not very illuminating. When I first got my Pandora (months ago), I went through the repo, downloading many many PNDs and putting them on an SD card. The stuff that works, works and the stuff that does not, I ignore as I am too busy with the stuff that does work. I have not downloaded any updated versions or new software from the repo since; I have an unreliable card reader which is a pain in the arse to use, and the WiFi does not work properly, and I have not had sufficient incitement to update anything that would cause me to pass these obstacles -- my system (mostly) works, for what I want it to do (note-taking, emulation, music-playing, programming, portable serial-over-USB control machine). If program X (picoDrive, LibreOffice, audacious...) works, why bother updating it?

Back