How Good Is Gpengine?

andmaz

I am getting a 166 FLU anyway and am very interested in Gpengine and would like to know just how good it really is.

I am a registered PC Magic Engine user and think that is awesome - remember it running just about full speed on a 133/166 Pentium 1 many years ago with nearly 100% compatibility.

Playing the handheld PC Engine GT at the moment but its a bit bulky so if Gpengine is as good as it sounds then that would be excellent.

Particularly like playing;

Galaga 88
PC Kid
Twin Cobra (2 player helicopter shootem up)
R-Type

Good smooth frame rate with good sound is a must but am willing to sacrifice sound is necessary.

Its amazing, every game i have tried fully works at 133 MHZ

R Type is one of my favourite games on the GP32 and is by far my favourite PC Engine game.

One thing though the save does not work and i am unsure if it is still being worked on.

The gpengine is perfect it has everything you need.

Only thing missing is savestates so you can't save the game and put new batteries in and play from the same spot :(

but thats the only flaw.

I'm wondering if it will be released cause the UK meetup has the version with RF support which makes me think if its not being worked on then y hasnt the RF version came out yet?

But the all games work from what i'v seen besides street fighter

but u can't play the CD games tho otherwise it's great :)

:ph34r:

Thats very good news!

Saving would be the icing on the cake but the majority of the PC Engine games would not allow saves anyway so it could be said that Gpengine is 100% faithful to the original.

Can't wait to get my GP32 (looked at the Tapwave Zodiac but thats for next year I think and would get one of them as well as a GP32).

No you miss understand me

Saves and savestates are different.

Say you had 3 lifes and u saved then u died instead of replaying the level you load the savestate and that loads up the exact sate of the rom as when u saves so u can go backto the same place with the same time money energy etc when u want to.

It's handy if your at the end of the game and you need to turn the gp32 off you can go back in say 3 weeks at exactly the same place u left off :) its better cause u can save when u want not if and when the games lets u.

:ph34r:

No, andmaz was right. PCengine had no save function for most games and thats the way it was intended.

for rpgs saving seems vital, but pcengine is there for the shoot-em-ups.

Yeah but the point being, you have battery life. Even if you dont want to "save". If you play and your batteries start to go dead, your SOL. You cant just savestate, swap for good batteries and continue. So how it is, you can only really play and fully enjoy GPEngine if you have brand new (or fully charged batteries) otherwise it could just quit in the middle of a game and leave you bummed.

Plus there's a hell of a difference between playing a PC Engine as it was intended (long stints in your lounge or bedroom) and playing a GP32 like most people do (short stints while on the train etc). It would be really nice if we could carry on from where we left off in a game - as much as I like the first 10 minutes of R-Type playing it over and over is wearing a bit thin...

J(ohn)

Now I have my GP32 FLU running @166 I can answer my own question - Gpengine is just about as good as having the real thing - a few games don't work but alot of the main ones do.

andmaz posted on Mar 11 2004 at 03:45 PM said:
Now I have my GP32 FLU running @166 I can answer my own question - Gpengine is just about as good as having the real thing - a few games don't work but alot of the main ones do.
Yeah, street fighter is the only one iv found that doesnt work (well, it has buggered graphics). Its on of the best emulators on the gp. maybe with a lil tinkering to get those last few games working and saves then this would b *perfect*.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dozer posted on Mar 11 2004 at 04:27 PM said:
Yeah, street fighter is the only one iv found that doesnt work (well, it has buggered graphics). Its on of the best emulators on the gp. maybe with a lil tinkering to get those last few games working and saves then this would b *perfect*.
I have the same problem with SF2.
Is there any way around this? The SF2 rom is far bigger then all the other I have as the other show up as 256 or 512 while SF2 is like 2300. Is that the prob?

Would be so sweet to have it working since the SNES version is quite up to speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back