Several Questions Of A Gp32 Newbie

eightpack

Still Fresh
Hello my new community :)
I just bought a gp32 from ebay, obviously the normal blu version and not blu+ :D
After not having found suitable answers via the search engine, I gonna post my questions here:

1. With Opensnes9x, how do I adjust the clock speed? I've read posts here, that Street Fighter II Turbo is very good playable with 156 Mhz and FS2, however I can only select the frameskip, not the clock ratio (I can do this however with the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis emulator - this one runs perfect with 166 Mhz).
2. I installed gpdrive, so i can move files faster from my pc to my gp32. I just can't find a way to transfer files after having started gpdrive.
3. Slubman launcher and explorer - what programm do I have to dl and install onto my gp32, so I can use the actuall selection screen in the backround (where u can select between launcher, explorer, pc link etc.)?
The slubman explorer doesn't seem to work, after launching it my gp reboots.
4. Zack Mc Kracken and Monkey Island 1 + 2 - Zack and Monkey 1 have 22khz mp3 files in their directories, but when playing these games with 160mhz gpscumm, there is no sound :(
Monkey 2 has sound, but I can't play the game, as it demands the recipe ingredients at the beginning - this wouldn't really be a problem, as I got the original Amiga version here with the spinning thing, BUT there is no way to enter a number with the controls :ph34r:

Well, I think that's it for the moment. I'm looking forward to every answers you can give me. If any of my questions should have been discussed and solved properly already, plz accept my pardon for asking it again.

Greez

eightpack

1. At the beginning, there's a cplockspeed setter.
2. Start GPDRIVE, then plug in usb cable. if you're using 98 you need to install the niversal usb storage drivers or whatever they are called, but with XP will work straight away.
3. Not sure
4. Umm..... Not too sure........ Have you copied all files to the GP? If so I'm not sure about compatability with gpscumm and mp3 but it works with ogg.
4b. about MI2: You can use numbers, hold down R and move the cursor.

1. For Street Fighter II Turbo, you are better off running on the DRMD Megadrive/genisis emulator. Using this, you can play SF2 at full speed with perfect sound. I do not believe that it is possible to get the same quality of play from the current SNES emulators..

2. gpdrive should only be used with windows. This program should allow your windows machine to recognise your gp32 as an external drive. Once you have connected your gp32 to your windows box, run gpdrive on the gp32. Windows should then inform you that it has detected a removable disk. You may then write to this disk in the same manner as any other disk on your system. Note that gpdrive is only suitable for small files. If you are planning to write 128MB movies to your SMC, you should consider buying an SMC card reader.

3. Sorry, can't answer this one as I haven't used slubmans firmware.

4. Again, haven't yet used gpscumm, so can't help here.

RatchetMan

Are you using the Slubman Firmware, or just the applications individually. If you have Slubman Firmawre on the GP32 and you are not going to the selection menu when you power up, PUSH THE SELECT BUTTON and turn off AUTO RUN.

If you don't have the firmware installed, then that is the root of the problem. The main selection screen is present in the firmware.

Hope this helps.

Thx 4 the gpdrive tip! I always started gpdrive with the usb cable already connected to the pc. Now I first start the program and then plug in the cable, so it works :)
I don't have the slubman fw installed, as the normal one works fine. I just wished I could use the main selection screen of it as well :(
As for the scumm probs - is there any freeware program I can use to simply convert the mp3 files to ogg files? I'd really like to play these Lucasart Games with sound.
THX for your help so far :)

I got a new problem now:
I changed the name of the monkey2 dir to monkey island 2 via gpdrive, cause I wanted to have more than 8 letters. But scumm couldn't find a game in this dir anymore, so I tried to undo the namechange. But I got an error message and I also couldn't delete this dir via the gp manager anymore. So I saved all folders to my pc and formatted the card with windowsxp (thx 2 gpdrive) and copied the folders back. But when i started gp32, it said that no game was installed or the card wasn't inserted correctly. Now I always get an error message when starting gp manager and can't format the card again :(
Is there any program I can use to format the SMC again and make it useable again?

eightpack posted on Apr 12 2005 at 05:14 PM said:
I got a new problem now:
I changed the name of the monkey2 dir to monkey island 2 via gpdrive, cause I wanted to have more than 8 letters. But scumm couldn't find a game in this dir anymore, so I tried to undo the namechange. But I got an error message and I also couldn't delete this dir via the gp manager anymore. So I saved all folders to my pc and formatted the card with windowsxp (thx 2 gpdrive) and copied the folders back. But when i started gp32, it said that no game was installed or the card wasn't inserted correctly. Now I always get an error message when starting gp manager and can't format the card again :(
Is there any program I can use to format the SMC again and make it useable again?

One hint: get a card reader, it is much easier and father than using that PC-link thing. It is more reliable too.

Last edited by a moderator:
at most, the gp32 can handle is 8 letters for any folder/filename(+3 for externsions) and no spaces.

Ok, here's the current status:

Bought a new SM Card (128 MB) and an USB card reader.
With the new card, everything works fine. I saw the new card uses FAT, so I took the other one and formated it into FAT too. But when trying to connect with GP32 Manager, it still says "an error occurred in GP32 during process".
I tried it with blank formated card, with formated card and same folder structure and with formated card and all the stuff that's on the other card. But it's always the same error message i get.
And when trying to simply press play in the gp32 menu, it tells me that either no game is installed or the card is not inserted correctly.
Hope someone here knows how I can make the card work with GP32 again.

Thx in advance

You should not format a smc to FAT in win XP (win 98 is fine though) as the GP will not be able to use/read it. You have to format it with either the pc-link software on the pc or on the GP itself via slubmans commander etc.

You do not need to format new (unused) smc`s as they come aready formatted for use on the GP.

Trooper

trooper posted on Apr 19 2005 at 06:41 PM said:
You should not format a smc to FAT in win XP (win 98 is fine though) as the GP will not be able to use/read it. You have to format it with either the pc-link software on the pc or on the GP itself via slubmans commander etc.

You do not need to format new (unused) smc`s as they come aready formatted for use on the GP.

Trooper
How to format it with slubman commander (I couldn't find this prog) on the gp itself, if it doesnt start any programs?
Or do I have to flash my fw to slubmans? If so, can I play commercial games with this fw anymore or not?

EDIT: I used the search engine again and found this nice smc recover tool. Now the smc works again :)
But nevertheless, where do I get the slubman commander from?
Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Back