BackAssward said:
may88 said:
Prometheus said:
Aninhumer said:
Wait wait, people actually pronounce .exe as Eee Ex Eee? :blink:
I always pronounced like eksy.
I do. :D

I've not heard of the "eksy" pronunciation before, though. :lol:
Exe is an abbreviation of executable. PND is an initialism.
That's not a hard and fast rule... some abbreviations are pronounced one way, some the other; some initializations are pronounced one way, some the other. We tend to agree on some, and some are in a grey area.

borgqueenx said:
You guys have to understand this thread is another result of total boredom.
Pnd into "how to pronounce exe, gif"....omg :p
I think a lot of us will agree to that. However, it's keeping us busy and no one is getting hurt. At least it's on topic, since we are using the others as examples for PND.

Initialisations (initialisms) are pronounced as the letters and Acronyms are as a word. Problem is how people choose to interpret said letters.

SQL - me, I'd say S.Q.L (without the dots :) ) but for others it's sequel. FAQ - again I use the initials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the MySQL book I read specifically stated that the correct pronunciation of MySQL is My Ess Que El. So people who are saying "sequel" are actually pronouncing it wrong.

may88 said:
Initialisations (initialisms) are pronounced as the letters and Acronyms are as a word. Problem is how people choose to interpret said letters.

SQL - me, I'd say S.Q.L (without the dots :) ) but for others it's sequel. FAQ - again I use the initials.
My point is that, I don't believe that is a rule. I certainly don't see it defined anywhere as a rule accepted by a majority. I can see why you think it *should* be that way, I just don't see it as a fact. Also, language is a living thing and evolves.

Edit: fixed quotations.

BackAssward said:
may88 said:

My point is that, I don't believe that is a rule. I certainly don't see it defined anywhere as a rule accepted by a majority. I can see why you think it *should* be that way, I just don't see it as a fact. Also, language is a living thing and evolves.
Totally agree with you and that's what this thread is all about. Just arguing my case firmly. :p

What does PND stand for anyway? If it is PaNDora then we have a new problem on our hands. So PND becomes PaNDee (Pandy).

These only one way to sort this out...POLL!

Chairman_Now said:
Mofokubik said:
For the record, it's gif, as in gift. I don't care who says otherwise, if you disagree you are wrong.

Actually, it is pronounced 'jif'. How do I know?

I was working on the first commercial website back in 1995. As such, we had the ears of all of the major online services at the time. The gif/jif debate was in full force in our office. We settled the matter by calling a high-level at Compuserve (the folks that created the format). I lost a bet when they told us that if was 'jif'.

Yes, I thought it was a hard "g" sound, too, given that it was an acronym for Graphic Interchange Format. But the folks from Compuserve had a different notion of how acronyms worked.

So there.

Although Compuserve officially state it as Jif... I refuse to call it jif since it doesn't make sense.
gif is just as short to say.
gif also shares the hard g sound of graphic interchange format. So regardless of which Einstein thought Jif was better... I simply don't care... he was wrong from all angles.

Phawx said:
Actually the MySQL book I read specifically stated that the correct pronunciation of MySQL is My Ess Que El. So people who are saying "sequel" are actually pronouncing it wrong.
That's BackAssward's point. It's a living language and both are right. What I find is that people use S.Q.L for the language and Sequel for the server and as that's normally a wintel box you can blame Bill for that.

On a slightly related note...

Has any else tried to enthusiastically explain the awesomeness of the PND system to anyone else? With me, nobody seems to care, but they let me ramble anyway.

:D

Linux people are the worst; they just love their package management systems. If you ever need to wind up a Linux fan, just start poking holes at APT or YUM, then watch them visibly spark.

Prometheus said:
Aninhumer said:
I do. :D

I've not heard of the "eksy" pronunciation before, though. :lol:

E X E - saying each letter as you would alone - is pretty universal. I've never heard anyone say it differently, and I've met hundreds of computer users over the years that have used the term. On the other hand, we're all native English speakers.

Apparently with some languages - like Dutch - things are different. E = A, A = E, or something like that. That'd certainly mess up how you pronounce things. ;)

gp2.eXe said:
Edit: That makes me think... what do people think when they think about my username? Hmmm...
I don't know all the phonetics, so I'm just separating things with a space, to indicate sounds. Doesn't work for all languages, but hopefully it gets the point across.

I would say your name as... G P two dot E X E

Sounds like the name of a virus or robot or AI or something. :D

BackAssward said:
Aninhumer said:
[quote name='BackAssward' date='18 May 2010 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1274216619' post='852996']
I agree with Pe eN De. Same pronunciation type as exe, xml, iso, ...
Well, my first IBM PC was a 286. Everyone I knew was a techie, a lot were like that, even gif was Gee I Eff and pcx was Pee Cee eeX. Though bat was bat, sys was sys, com was com. I cannot remember when gif became gif.
[/quote]
Yes, I've always said P C X, sys, and com as well. I learned gif as "jif" (as in jiffy) - not G I F or gif (gift)

Phawx said:
Even if we type, isn't it still faster with less syllables in your head? Pend is pretty good. But I think pinned flows better and works better in context. Pin the program. Pinned has a thumbtack look to it:
Some of us have minds that work better with letter combos than mixing concepts. Having to remember that a file type is said "pinned" because it's like a thumb tack board would be pretty nasty. Much easier to remember "PND".

But then, I can overhear someone say 20 numbers in a row and remember ~95% of them. (avg 1 error per 20)

Trevsweb said:
i pronounce it P N D like P D F
Ditto. :)

Chairman_Now said:
Actually, it is pronounced 'jif'. How do I know?
Yet more proof! :D

Now for a question - how do you pronounce Linux?

I now say "li-nux", though the first time I saw it written (not said), I thought it was "Lie-nux"

Tempel said:
I always pronounced the three letters separately (Pee Enn Dee), but then I met skeezix who created the damn thing, and he pronounces it like "pinned" or "punned" (some really short vowel in there). But I have a feeling he doesn't care how you pronounce it.
I've always thought it was "punned", myself. Good to know one of the creators agrees! :p

may88 said:
SQL - me, I'd say S.Q.L (without the dots :) ) but for others it's sequel.
I know some people who pronounce it "squiggle" :blink: ...

Kramy said:
Now for a question - how do you pronounce Linux?

I now say "li-nux", though the first time I saw it written (not said), I thought it was "Lie-nux"

I say l-eye-nux (Southern England, posh (itself an acronym of Port Out, Starboard Home - I can explain further on request.), others in the office from up-north say l-in-ux. Truth is. BOTH are wrong. The name of the OS is base on Linus and Unix, and Linus is pronounced L-ee-nus, so it's l-ee-nux.

Let's keep the Dutch out of this as that would say l-Ay-nux in this case. Plus they all speak excellent English anyway.

may88 said:
What does PND stand for anyway? If it is PaNDora then we have a new problem on our hands. So PND becomes PaNDee (Pandy).
Ok, but since we can do whatever we like. When you are trying to be all cool and technical showing your Pandora to people, would you rather say:

Ok, now I'm going to take my Pandies, put them on this card and in the slot, and voila, my Pandies are ready to use. :p
Or would you rather say P N D?

In the end, people are going to say what ever they like, and we are just bored and having a community discussion. It's good to have something to talk about that is relevant to a degree and doesn't turn into a flame war.

Lol, "put on your big girl pandies, and deal with it." :lol:

Kramy said:
E X E - saying each letter as you would alone - is pretty universal. I've never heard anyone say it differently, and I've met hundreds of computer users over the years that have used the term. On the other hand, we're all native English speakers.
Not sure if you're American or not but I'm possibly a more "native" English speaker than you, living in the UK. :p
Everyone I've had discussions about .exe files with has pronounced it "Eksy", but then that consists of at most half a dozen people, and they're possibly just copying me.

Aninhumer said:
Not sure if you're American or not but I'm possibly a more "native" English speaker than you, living in the UK. :p
Everyone I've had discussions about .exe files with has pronounced it "Eksy", but then that consists of at most half a dozen people, and they're possibly just copying me.
Except, it's an American English word not UK English. If you complained about the spelling of grey vs. gray, or of Aluminium, I would be on your side... not in this case.
:p

BackAssward said:
Except, it's an American English word not UK English. If you complained about the spelling of grey vs. gray, or of Aluminium, I would be on your side... not in this case.
I don't think exe is a word at all, but in any case I was just refuting "lol, you must be forin". ;)

may88 said:
I say l-eye-nux (Southern England, posh (itself an acronym of Port Out, Starboard Home - I can explain further on request.), others in the office from up-north say l-in-ux. Truth is. BOTH are wrong. The name of the OS is base on Linus and Unix, and Linus is pronounced L-ee-nus, so it's l-ee-nux.
Hehe... I know someone called Linus. He says "L-eye-nus", as you put it. ;) More confusion!

may88 said:
Let's keep the Dutch out of this as that would say l-Ay-nux in this case. Plus they all speak excellent English anyway.
Okay. :D

Aninhumer said:
Kramy said:
[quote name='BackAssward' date='18 May 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1274223592' post='853088']
[/quote]
^

:lol:

I'm actually Canadian. We use words from the US and UK, and have our own.

Hundreds trumps a dozen. I've talked to techs, programmers, gamers, college students, kids, etc.; today was the first time I've heard that way of saying it.

I'm guessing it emerged across the pond - perhaps because of your closer proximity to places with other root languages.

Ahh!... root! Not to be confused with route or route!

When I pronounce PND in my head it's almost always pee en dee. Anytime I've ever tried to reconcile it into a single syllable it's always become "penned". Like when writing. "Jane penned a masterpiece of literature." It also reminds me that the pnd.xml file is apPENDed to the end of the ISO. I know silly, but it makes sense to me.

I'm in a mid-level southern drawl state in the USA. We pronounce things pretty much like everyone else here though.

exe = Eee ecks Eee
com = Cahm
bat = baht
SQL = I've always heard it pronounced like sequel, although I've caught myself pronouncing it either way depending on how it affected the flow of speech.
Linux = Leh-Nux - I know I'm wrong, but it feels so right.
jpeg = Jay-Peg
PNG = pee en gee
ISO = Eye-So

gif = G-if (that's a hard G) I know full well that it's Jif. I agree it doesn't make sense, and NOBODY that I know
a ) pronounces it like Jif, nor
b ) has anyone insisted that G-if is wrong.
So, majority rules on this one. It's Gif. Compuserve can suck it.

.PND = Pee ehn dee

It's not a word, it has no vowel.

.exe = eee ecks eee
.PSD = Pee ess dee
.MP3 = ehm pee three
.AVI = aye vee eye (because "avi" is silly)
.JPG = Jaypeg (because it's just a short version of Jpeg)

Linux = Lihnucks

P N D like the letters.

Gif, jaypeg, B M P, eyeso, E X E, S H, bat, com, C M D, A V I, ogg blah blah blah

I'm an American English speaker from new York.

Also, compuserve is dead now, they have no right to say what's correct. :)

As far as I know PND is short for Pandora and does not stand for three words (so it's not an initialism)
I just tried to confirm that on pandorawiki.org and failed. That thing needs loads of attention (not mine! ;) )

So in my head I have been thinking PND would be pronounced "pand": Simple, reflects the origin, and sure it sounds like panned, but that's not too bad.
To me P N D makes it sounds like it stands for something. Which would be fine if we want to make a backronym for it (I propose that the P stand for PND...)

Back