How Do You Pronounce .pnd?

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Just wondering when you guys read .pnd, do you read it like "pinned" or something else? Like "pond" or "panda"?

Obviously, panda is far away from .pnd but pond is pretty close. Only reason I bring this up is the whole .gif thing. People like to pronounce .gif like "gift", but it's actually pronounced like jif.

I don't know if a proper pronunciation has been clarified or not, so if anyone can fill me in, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Prometheus said:
I just pronounce it as "Pee Enn Dee", myself. :p

I've never said it out loud, but when I read it in my head the above occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phawx said:
Just wondering when you guys read .pnd, do you read it like "pinned" or something else? Like "pond" or "panda"?

Obviously, panda is far away from .pnd but pond is pretty close. Only reason I bring this up is the whole .gif thing. People like to pronounce .gif like "gift", but it's actually pronounced like jif.

I don't know if a proper pronunciation has been clarified or not, so if anyone can fill me in, it'd be greatly appreciated.
For the record, it's gif, as in gift. I don't care who says otherwise, if you disagree you are wrong.

as for pnd, every time I read it in my head, I think P.N.D.. I do like the sound of pand though.

Pee en dee is what I say in my head, but the following could all work:

pwned
pandee
pindee

BackAssward said:
I agree with Pe eN De. Same pronunciation type as exe, xml, iso, ...

Yeah, but lots of people say "jay-peg", "giff", "eye-so" (.ISO) and "ping" (.PNG).

I've been thinking "pee en dee" but I definitely like "pinned" and "pand" more.

Edit: And I think I prefer "pinned" as it evokes neither "panned" nor "pander".

Prometheus said:
I just pronounce it as "Pee Enn Dee", myself. :p

That's how I say it, too.

Mofokubik said:
For the record, it's gif, as in gift. I don't care who says otherwise, if you disagree you are wrong.

as for pnd, every time I read it in my head, I think P.N.D.. I do like the sound of pand though.

The creators say otherwise. I've seen it mentioned in numerous books. Apparently they even mentioned the correct pronunciation in the original spec. First result on google: http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/

So in this case, you're probably wrong, regardless of what you think. :p Please don't spread misinformation.

BackAssward said:
/agree

Rather fitting, since PND files are ISO files, right? ;)

QBJECT said:
BackAssward said:

Yeah, but lots of people say "jay-peg", "giff", "eye-so" (.ISO) and "ping" (.PNG).

I've been thinking "pee en dee" but I definitely like "pinned" and "pand" more.
That's why I said "same type as"... in that I understand there are two ways of doing it. I too say jay-peg for jpg (well, isn't jpg short for jpeg anyway). I also say bin for bin. For exe, I say e ex e.

I guess it's a grey area for some extensions, but well defined (one way or the other) for other extensions. I honestly thought iso was pretty well accepted as i es o.

SONY said:
PND is said in acronym form.

/thread
SONY, what's with you lately? You been answering question made for OP as if you had the authority to speak for them. You are telling others how PND *is* said, not as your opinion but as if it were a fact, even though you have no authority to make that call (plus the /thread part). That's just a couple examples, I don't care to go dig the rest up.

Are you just drunk a lot lately?

I always pronounced the three letters separately (Pee Enn Dee), but then I met skeezix who created the damn thing, and he pronounces it like "pinned" or "punned" (some really short vowel in there). But I have a feeling he doesn't care how you pronounce it.

may88 said:
P.N.D It's that simple. Not else obvious. No need to create confusion.

Wait, so you're suggesting "Pee dot eN dot Dee", is that correct? That could work...

Back