How do you even use FUSE?

j0e

Hello everyone,

I received my pandora on Saturday and have been having great fun with it, playing my favourite childhood games and making music. One thing I have not been able to get my head around however is the FUSE Spectrum Emulator. When I load it up it begins at the 48k spectrum BASIC prompt, but I can't find any way to insert a tape nor any key for Symbol Shift. In fact, most times to quit I have to hard reset my pandora if I'm running it in xfce. I've found next to no documentation on FUSE on the internet. I know I'm probably overseeing something... but what is it? Can anyone guide me on how to get FUSE up and running? Thanks very much.

Isn't there documentation in the pnd (documentationmenu in xfce)?

Nope... there is nothing about FUSE in the documentation menu.

OK, now after some further fiddling I've managed to figure out how to do these things - the menus are accessed by the F keys (Fn + a number), and symbol shift is mapped to Ctrl (select). But now, there's another problem... constantly there is a cracking sound being played through the speakers - it is always there. Games don't even run at full speed, and the crackling causes multiple gaps in the sound. Any help would be much appreciated.

OK, now after some further fiddling I've managed to figure out how to do these things - the menus are accessed by the F keys (Fn + a number), and symbol shift is mapped to Ctrl (select). But now, there's another problem... constantly there is a cracking sound being played through the speakers - it is always there. Games don't even run at full speed, and the crackling causes multiple gaps in the sound. Any help would be much appreciated.
The clicking sound is a known problem with Fuse running on the recent Hotfix's. I'm still using Hotfix 5 which works perfectly with Fuse and all my other emulators. Fuse is my favourite emulator so I won't be updating until the issue has been resolved. I believe one of the Hotfix 6 beta's works ok with Fuse but not sure which one.

AFAIK Hotfix 6 Alpha 4 (HF6a4) is the last OS release it works with sound unaffected with - I use HF6a4 from SD card, Fuse works fine with it, no speed issues.

Just in case you go the route of installing another OS version, remember that Fuse requires that the comunity codec pack is installed too.

I don't have it to hand right now, but IIRC the menu where you select loading a game also has the quit/exit option in it.

Because it was released way back in the GP32x board days, the threads for it are over there:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54714-fuse-update/page__p__881573

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53815-fuse-help/page__p__862261

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56503-does-the-fuse-emulator-work/page__p__915156

Last edited by a moderator:
Can`t find a ZX Pandy thread!

I`ve just moved over from FUSE to ZX PANDY...

Brilliant little emulator.. save states etc...

Thing I`m finding trouble with is with save states.. sometimes it just doesn`t work.. going into the menu and pressing save state doesn`t do anything.. load state works ( well it doesn`t if there`s no save`s there ) it seems to work on ROller Coaster, but not on Matchpoint ... weird..

I´m afraid I am too stupid to find the corect "keyboard". When playing 1943, and fiddling around with joystick 1, joystick 2 and keyboard, following Asmo´s first quoted link which says:

Pandora D-pad + B button mapped to joystick by default (choose type in Options -> Joystick -> Keyboard).
Which is I think what I have done...tried afterwards for over half an hour with all the other possibilities. No luck. the D-pad is either "off" or not functioning as joystick at all.

Is there an easy solution or does 1943 just happen to be "off"?

Or is it my fault simply because i do not have the latest SuperZaxxon (firmware upgrade failed so i just stayed with the older version, which otherwise works fine with everything I do on the Pandora).

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can press F1 (Fn + 1) to open menu and select joystick from Options -> Joysticks -> Keyboard -> Type.

This won't help though if the game doesn't support joysticks. There are some games that only use keyboard.

You can use xmodmap to remap keyboard keys to d-pad and ABXY buttons. This makes navigating the menu a little harder but fortunately you can also use the menu with the keyboard.

(I've actually made a small GUI that makes using xmodmap easier. Maybe I should release it sometime.)

Aah thank you, didn´t think of that (games that simply have no joystick support). i was just slightly puzzled because I believe FUSE on Dingoo A320 was a bit easier than Fuse on the Pandora, for me, and I normally love fiddling around with home computer emulators a lot but here I was just not getting any game going here so far. I will try keyboard remapping and report back.

Back