My Current Pandora Issues, Help Needed!

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
Okay, the answers to these points might be dotted around but I think the more information posted on these boards the better at the moment, so here goes:

1) Upon logging in to the Pandora into xfce, a window pops up saying 'could not look up internet address etc', how do I sort this out?

2) I got the correct romset for mame but the sound is awful, like morse code! Do I just need to crank up the cpu? I though 500 mhz would be more than enough as my gp2x handled it quite well at 250?

3) I got games to run on uae4all on my gp2x yet on the Pandora, things keep crashing. Is it just a case of trying different kick.roms?

4) Can FUSE run games from .zip?

5) Snes9x keeps booting me out when selecting a rom, what's going wrong?

6) Hatari ST does the same, when I get to the codebreakers ad at the start of a game, I press '1' or 'space' to skip the screen and it boots me. Answers on a postcard!

7) Should roms just go in a roms folder in the relevant folder to the emu in the appdata folder? I wish we had readme's on the software.

Thanks for reading and I'm sorry if I'm asking questions which have already been asked, I just don;t have time to go through the boards (being a dad n'all). I still am having trouble getting any games to load, although I'm aware that it's early days in the development of the emu's (uae4all exclusive to the Pandora please!).

#7 I just made a directory on my SD called ROMS and put everything in there..

Have you checked to make sure your card isn't corrupted or somethign?

#1 Is it really like morse code or just gravely crackling audio? I'm having that problem right now.

Very crackly, the gp2x was able to emulate soundly badly at 250, which is why I can't understand why this beast can't handle it, have you upped the cpu? Also, you say you created a roms folder, I take it you have folders within that to seperate different systems (snes, amiga etc)?

Yeah... so I have a folder called Pandora in that are "appdata" "apps" "desktop" (all case sensitive I believe
you put the PNDs into apps or desktop

Then on the root of the card I have a folder called ROMs and in there "NES" "SNES" "GBA" "GBC" etc.

It's all a personal preference really.

So we're in the same boat as the sound issue. It doesn't matter what app it's an OS issue.

Edit: Yeah I've overclocked to 750 mhz to improve GBA and audio is still nasty

Sure no problem... just post here to bring the sound issue up again ;)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53974-bad-sound-quality/page__st__15

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have answers to more than a couple of these, but...

NickLoTurco said:
2) I got the correct romset for mame but the sound is awful, like morse code! Do I just need to crank up the cpu? I though 500 mhz would be more than enough as my gp2x handled it quite well at 250?
There is a minor audio bug in MAME at the moment, which seems to occur at random. If this is what's happening to you, hit "P" (the default pause key) and then hit it again - this will resolve it, if this is what's going on. Some games, such as CPS2 titles, do require a bit of an overclock, though.

7) Should roms just go in a roms folder in the relevant folder to the emu in the appdata folder? I wish we had readme's on the software.
This seems to depend on the app. Some things are happy to just let you browse for files, others will create a folder in appdata to drop them into.

NickLoTurco said:
Unoptimized build still. Also if I remember correctly, the GP2X version is an older version which wasn't as accurate but much faster. Someone mentioned a desire to combine the older version with the new and let it pick automatically depending on whether the game is known to work well in the older version or if it needs the newer version to run at all.

NickLoTurco said:
3) I got games to run on uae4all on my gp2x yet on the Pandora, things keep crashing. Is it just a case of trying different kick.roms?
You need the 512KB file. If your file is only 256KB it won't work.

NickLoTurco said:
Okay, the answers to these points might be dotted around but I think the more information posted on these boards the better at the moment, so here goes:

You're running the PC version of MAME, wait for a port of the GP2X one which is about 4* faster.

But while your using the PC one, consider the power of the Pandora to be able to actually run it quite well.

craigix said:
You're running the PC version of MAME, wait for a port of the GP2X one which is about 4* faster.
Sounds good. :)

Dies Franxis already have a Pandora? He deserves one. ^^

NickLoTurco said:
1) Upon logging in to the Pandora into xfce, a window pops up saying 'could not look up internet address etc', how do I sort this out?
Have you flashed the firmware since getting it? Some of the very first Pandoras shipped with an older version which had a minor problem which could conceivably cause this (missing entry in /etc/hosts). You should also make sure you have the latest HotFix installed, and the Codec Pack. The latter contains libraries which some emulators require.

4) Can FUSE run games from .zip?
Have you tried it? Did it work? If not, I guess it's a no. Spectrum games are hardly huge anyway.

I'm still not able to flash the firmware. I click the R button on boot, it gives me 3 options, no option to boot from SD. How the hell am I going to be able to flash new updates if this doesn't work?

As long as the firmware package is unzipped into the root of the SD card in the first (left-most) slot, you should get the option to boot.

pnd's will only apear if the card is in the slot next to the volume but you use the slot next to the power buttom to flash.

paddy said:
pnd's will only apear if the card is in the slot next to the volume but you use the slot next to the power buttom to flash.
PNDs should appear regardless which slot the SD is loaded into.

Yeah Paddy it didn't work. Thanks though! I still can't boot from SD, crazy! I've tried unpacking the zip onto a blank SD card, tried it in zip and nothing. Should the file be unpacked into the same category pattern as I'm using for my pnd's? (Pandora/desktop/etc etc)??? Fennec showed up before, as did Snes and VBA, they are gone now even though they show up on the SD card. Why are some on my desktop and others aren't? The fact that I can't even reflash is ridiculous!

Back