How Can I Access Windows Folder From 2x?

Jarska333

What do you want?
Website
Visit site
Now, I've been combing trough the forum in search for the answer, to no avail.

Simple task: I wish to share a folder on my D: drive titled "2xshared" in such a manner, that I can use this folder as storage for testing large files, like PSX isos. I've so far managed to connect to my 2X via telnet, and have viewed the default page on my 2X trough my browser... But for the life of me, I cannot get any resources shared. So the connection works, but... Do I need some special software on my PC's end, or...

Any help is apreciated. :)

You need to install the Samba client.

Then, telnet to your GP2X and do:
smbmount //your_pc_name/2xshared /directory/to/mount/things/in

If you want to have 2xshared visible from the menu, mount it in /mnt/ext.

OK, I feel stupid. I never could get the \\gp2x to open in explorer... Of course, it wasn't \\, but //.... :p

Edit: And of course, that was just the WWW thing... :(

"Connect to the gp2x with the samba server \\gp2x with the windows explorer
and coy all the directories inside the zip."

I can't get this to work. Telnet works, I have created the folder in my 2X, but explorer just refuses to find the \\gp2x...

Try \\your.gp2x.i.p in Explorer.

For example, if the IP of my GP2X is 10.10.10.2, then I'd open up Windows Explorer and type in the address bar "\\10.10.10.2" (wihout the quotes). It should give you two folders, gp2x and Printers and Faxes. gp2x is the one you want - it brings up your filesystem.

If that doesn't work , you don't have samba enabled.

Jarska333 posted on Jul 2 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
OK, I feel stupid. I never could get the \\gp2x to open in explorer... Of course, it wasn't \\, but //.... :p

Edit: And of course, that was just the WWW thing... :(
I found that to get the WWW server working (and in fact to get ping working as well) I had to add in a default route.
I have my 2x set to 192.168.1.10 and my PC set to 192.168.1.11
Telnetted into the 2x and issued this commend:
route add default gw 192.168.1.11

After that it all seemed to work fine.

Edit: Oh yes, had to have the Samba part and USB networking turned on (obvious but better safe than sorry :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Allright, do I need to do anything else than switch "Samba Server- Always On" on my 2X? I've had that on since forever, I assume I need something else...

I've done everything to the letter, but still no joy. My 2X is cursed. Anyone know a reputable catholic priest?

umm i'm not sure i'm using the right telnet, is it the MS Telnet that i can start from the command prompt (or run menu...) ? 'Cause that telnet doesn't recognise the commands i type, just some weird 1-letter commands :-/
damn my networking skills suck.

yuujin posted on Jul 5 2006 at 02:34 PM said:
if i may answer that then yes and yes, but the commands in the wiki don't work so i figure the samba dir must me misplaced... help plz >__<;
Which page in the Wiki are you looking at?
Or rather what commands are you issuing over the Telnet session?

I had some problems with connecting to my \\gp2x\gp2x\ share as I needed to enter a particular username (root, with no password) which had to be done using a CMD prompt. Is your PC machine usually connected a NT Domain or active directory?

Ben
---

well right now i'm staring at the line "Unzip the archive to \\gp2x\gp2x using full paths."
i mangaged to connect to the gp2x via telnet, and then mkdir /mnt/ext but when i tried the commands insmod and modprobe the computer didn't find this "smbfs.o". i tried the smbmount command too but no luck there either.
My pc isn't connected to anything at the moment :)

yuujin posted on Jul 5 2006 at 02:50 PM said:
well right now i'm staring at the line "Unzip the archive to \\gp2x\gp2x using full paths."
Can you open the \\gp2x\gp2x share and see the contents?

yuujin posted on Jul 5 2006 at 02:50 PM said:
My pc isn't connected to anything at the moment :)
Not even the GP2x ? ;)

yuujin posted on Jul 5 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
no i'm not sure where to put this \\gp2x\gp2x folder, and how?
hehe well the gp2x is connected until the batteries dies :p
OK, you can get to it several ways.
The easiest is to click "Start" then "Run" and enter "\\gp2x\gp2x" into the box that's appeared.
This should (if all is right) pop up an exporer window that is the root of GP2x (at least the Linux root, I believe that's what it's called, I'm a Windows man myself, although trying to change ;) )

Then from there you can unarchive the contents of the zip into there.

"insmod" wouldn't work as yet because the files aren't there to be found.

ah, thank you! now i've made it a bit further, but the new problem is that the folder i thought i created as a shared folder really isn't. when i type \\10.10.10.2 (the pc's ip) i just get printers etc. and scheduled tasks. no folder :( how do i create a folder here to put shared files in, or a shortcut to an existing folder? sorry for being such a lamer.

EDIT: Whoa, i made it somehow! Thanx again! Gonna try diablo on psx4gp2x now... :-D

Back