No Usb Connections?

Wombat

Still Fresh
Hi All,

I can't seem to find any topics about this, but I cant connect my GP2x via USB, I've tried settings to 1.1, 2.0, Full Speed, 3 different PC's , loads of cables. :(

even under linux dmesg shows no USB plug in/out activity.

I have tried with usb host on, usb storage on, usb networking on, all with no avail..

Does it look like the USB on my unit is faulty? or is there something I have missed?
BTW only 2 days old, only wanted to access the NAND/SD via USB to make sure everything was ok etc..

TIA
Wom.

Wombat posted on Sep 27 2006 at 02:40 PM said:
Hi All,

I can't seem to find any topics about this, but I cant connect my GP2x via USB, I've tried settings to 1.1, 2.0, Full Speed, 3 different PC's , loads of cables. :(

I have tried with usb host on, usb storage on, usb networking on, all with no avail..

Does it look like the USB on my unit is faulty? or is there something I have missed?
BTW only 2 days old, only wanted to access the NAND/SD via USB to make sure everything was ok etc..

TIA
Wom.

Only a thought (I am a GP2X noob!), but I seem to remember reading somewhere that your inserted SD card needs to be formatted (with FAT32) in order for your PC to detect the GP2X via USB. But I could be wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a different cable. The cable that comes with the '2x is kind of wonky and doesn't always work (Mine works on 1 PC but not on another. :p)

Also, you could try installing USB mass storage device drivers on your Windows installations.

Mousey posted on Sep 27 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
Wombat posted on Sep 27 2006 at 02:40 PM said:
Hi All,

TIA
Wom.

Only a thought (I am a GP2X noob!), but I seem to remember reading somewhere that your inserted SD card needs to be formatted (with FAT32) in order for your PC to detect the GP2X via USB. But I could be wrong!

Yeah it's full :) I wasnt slow doing that :D
All other aspects are working fine apart from the USB.

Megagun posted on Sep 27 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
Try a different cable. The cable that comes with the '2x is kind of wonky and doesn't always work (Mine works on 1 PC but not on another. :p)

Also, you could try installing USB mass storage device drivers on your Windows installations.

Tried 7 cables, 4 pc's, 3 with windows and 1 with linux ;)
Think covered my bases LOL..

Just hope it's not bust :(

The requirments:
SD card FAT32 formated
Good USB mini to standard (forget the one with the unit)
USB 2.0 port

Put SD card in GP2X and Host machine, Power on GP2X, Select Settings.
Got to USB and select it, on next screen select SD Memory Card.
On next press B key or press joy stick.

This should work. If windows complains about an unrecognized USB device your cable could be bad, there are a number of other problems that can cause this as well. But if windows is complaining you have activated the USB.

Good Luck.

Gary Miller posted on Sep 27 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
The requirments:
SD card FAT32 formated
Good USB mini to standard (forget the one with the unit)
USB 2.0 port

Put SD card in GP2X and Host machine, Power on GP2X, Select Settings.
Got to USB and select it, on next screen select SD Memory Card.
On next press B key or press joy stick.

This should work. If windows complains about an unrecognized USB device your cable could be bad, there are a number of other problems that can cause this as well. But if windows is complaining you have activated the USB.

Good Luck.

Done all that, tried 7 cables 4 pc's as per other post, it's as if the port on the GP2x just doesnt initalise. :(:(

Ok ... On SYSTEM settings

Advanced ON
USB Host OFF
Storage OFF
USB Network OFF
Web Server OFF
Telnet .. OFF
Samba Server OFF

Of course the Web/Telnet/Samba don't matter if USB network is off for now.

Gary Miller posted on Sep 27 2006 at 08:40 PM said:
Ok ... On SYSTEM settings

Advanced ON
USB Host OFF
Storage OFF
USB Network OFF
Web Server OFF
Telnet .. OFF
Samba Server OFF

Of course the Web/Telnet/Samba don't matter if USB network is off for now.

yeah tried with OFF & ON even always on, power cycleed and left cable in -> usb -> sd, nothing pops up on pc(s).

dmesg under linux one shows no activity or presence of a usb connection., starting to think its faulty :( could it be a bad factory flash? think it would be worth re-flashing? corrupted usb modules? I am miffed...

I assume from your comment that it you have not flashed it ...

Mine has tried to work from the beginning (had two bad USB cables, one with the machine, and another that I purchased). The symtom was that windows failed to recognize the device but at least it complained. There have been reports of USB 1.0 / USB 2.0 issues but you have tried many so this could be potentially discounted. If the SD card is not FAT32 the USB interface will not start at all so I assume you checked that. The flashing issue might be interesting but you MUST use a SD card of at least 128 MB to do it, using one less than that will screw you machine by dropping some modules (someone lost Samba thaat way).

Not sure where to go from here ....

Gary Miller posted on Sep 27 2006 at 09:29 PM said:
I assume from your comment that it you have not flashed it ...

Mine has tried to work from the beginning (had two bad USB cables, one with the machine, and another that I purchased). The symtom was that windows failed to recognize the device but at least it complained. There have been reports of USB 1.0 / USB 2.0 issues but you have tried many so this could be potentially discounted. If the SD card is not FAT32 the USB interface will not start at all so I assume you checked that. The flashing issue might be interesting but you MUST use a SD card of at least 128 MB to do it, using one less than that will screw you machine by dropping some modules (someone lost Samba thaat way).

Not sure where to go from here ....

Yeah, the only thing I can think of now is either faulty usb modules in the flash? (factory 2.0.0) or faulty hardware connections inside on the usb port, dry join etc, but wouldnt of though so on a 3 day old item.

I've got a wide selection 32MB-1GB cards here for various devices i'll see if any work with USB activated etc, maybe the 1GB i have in there thats working with the emu's/games/vids/etc isnt recognised when the usb is activated?

I dont know if the firmware just checks for a FAT32 partition or specific SDCard traits when turning USB on?

If you have a small SD (I use a 512 Mb) then try it after formating as FAT32, just to make sure. If this does not work then I would say there is a problem with the unit and you can either try getting it swapped or try to fix it your self. If you can swap it that might be the safest way to go, flashing the the machine is the 2nd option. Opening it and trying to fix it would be my last ditch effort on a new GP2X.

Gary Miller posted on Sep 27 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
If you have a small SD (I use a 512 Mb) then try it after formating as FAT32, just to make sure. If this does not work then I would say there is a problem with the unit and you can either try getting it swapped or try to fix it your self. If you can swap it that might be the safest way to go, flashing the the machine is the 2nd option. Opening it and trying to fix it would be my last ditch effort on a new GP2X.

One thing I did notice, just after I select SDCard and it goes to the USB Connected logo screen, it flickers the same as the initial flicker after power on, it is supposed to do this?

Wombat posted on Sep 27 2006 at 05:05 PM said:
Gary Miller posted on Sep 27 2006 at 09:48 PM said:

One thing I did notice, just after I select SDCard and it goes to the USB Connected logo screen, it flickers the same as the initial flicker after power on, it is supposed to do this?
mine does flicker but I had not noticed it till you said so ... I just tested it ..

mine does flicker but I had not noticed it till you said so ... I just tested it ..

Well I've fired off an e-mail to gp2x.co.uk/cdworld.co.uk with link to this thread, see what they think, hopefully they'll agree and send a replcement :)

Thanks for everyones help on this, I knew I wasnt *THAT* mad B)

I had the same problem, just dug out an old digital camera usb attached it and it connected immediately.

I've took delivery of my GP2X today and are having SD card and USB problems. I have a 1GB own brand SD card from PLAY.COM.

Used an existing cable to connect GP2X to my PC. All going well until file transfer screen on PC froze while I was putting software on the SD card and I had to restart the GP2X. Then I find that the SD card is not recognised by the GP2X, (but is still recognised by my PC.) USB is also non-op and I get a message: 'One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it."

Tried a different cable, no joy, tried a different PC, still no joy, (not even a message of any kind.) Bought a new SD card ( a 128MB Kingston brand) and the GP2X recognises it and i can now use the GP2X as normal using a memory card reader to transfer files to the SD card from my PC, just no USB connection to my PC and the GP2X.

For info the GP2X is version 2 and had firmware 2.0 pre installed.

I ordered it from www.lik-sang.com who are based in Hong Kong, (I live in the UK) dont fancy having to send it back.

Any ideas?

If the GP2X does not recognize the format then the USB connection WILL NOT activate. Think of it as the same situation with the SD card not in the GP2X which will act the same way. You might want to try the windows file system checker and see if it finds ands repairs the SD. Then try it again.

Back