Why Get A Pandora?

drunkgoblin

Still Fresh
I've been following the progress of the Pandora for some time now, and it seems to be coming along very well. However, at this point I find myself asking "Would an Nvidia ION netbook be better?". According to some sources the price tag for ION netbooks will be comparable to that of the Pandora, they will run any x86 OS that I know of, and allow access to the already huge library of PC emulation. Also I've heard reports that the Intel N330 Atom Dual Core can be OC'd to 2.0ghz, which I have emulated PSX on very successfully in the past. So my question is, what makes the Pandora the system to buy? Is the ARM processor superior to the Intel Atom even at its lower speed? Is the Graphical capability in the Pandora Comparable to ION? I admit I like the fact that Pandora is so small, and the built in game-pad is simply awesome, as is the touch screen. I just want to make sure I am in possession of all the facts before I make any decisions.

Well it is not going to be as powerful as a laptop. so if that is you main issue go for the laptop.
If you want a device you can put in your pocket and do "most" stuff a laptop can do... then the Pandora is the way to go.

If you want a netbook buy a netbook.

If you want a handheld gaming device with gaming controls and a long battery life, buy a pandora

If you want both buy both.

I think Drunkgoblin already hit the nail on the head when he mentioned size and gaming controls! As we all know the Pandora is the smallest console that offers both quality gaming controls and keyboard on the market, that coupled with the awesome community supporting it the Pandora is likely to be the most powerful and usable console of it's size.

In my handbag I carry around an Eee PC 701SD which a really love as it's small and light, and I carry my Wiz too but even all that is just slightly on the heavy side, also the Eee PC 701SD default battery lasts only about 3 to 4 hours, which isn't a huge problem as I have a power adapter at work and one at home, but it could be a problem on a long journey :( . The Pandora will be much lighter and tiny compared to the Eee PC+Wiz combination and have a much longer battery life then the Eee PC.

In the end though it's up to you :)

It fits in my pocket! (in theory)
That's what sold it for me, that and the keyboard. Nothing with any kind of power and a near-full keyboard is this portable.

Hmm, you make a good point about the portability of the thing, and I hadn't considered the batter life into the equation, that might be the deal breaker. Kinda makes me wish I didn't buy a Wiz a month ago, this thing sounds like it will kinda make the Wiz obsolete.

If you want games that run exclusively on x86 (Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, etc), go for the netbook.

drunkgoblin said:
Hmm, you make a good point about the portability of the thing, and I hadn't considered the batter life into the equation, that might be the deal breaker. Kinda makes me wish I didn't buy a Wiz a month ago, this thing sounds like it will kinda make the Wiz obsolete.

Stick the Wiz on fleabay. I would guess that as soon as the pandora is launched second hand prices for the wiz / gp2x etc will drop, however the extra attention on these handhelds may bring more interest and second hand prices may go up, but i doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why get a Pandora? Because it's gonna be freaking awesome!

I believe that is, as they say, enough said. :D

EDIT: The ion platform will be excellent, especially when combined with the proposed via nano dual core processors, but atm, forget about it. Atom sucks in every regard aside from portability.

IMHO it is gonna take a while for x86 portables can catch up to arm.

Pandora awesomeness aside, if you think they're equivalent then the pandora's unique features are probably not very important to you and if you see running another OS as some sort of feature then I think you would most likely be happier with the laptop/net book. Getting one will not however make you want the pandora any less.

Back