Capacitive or Resistive touch for the next gen Pandora?

Which one would you prefer for the next gen Pandora?

• Total voters

Another point to consider is glossy vs matte (like the P1) screen. I can't stand glossy screens since the reflections are so distracting. A matte screen would be my choice.

Also, we know Craig is in favor of android and multitouch, but it is hard for me to imagine holding a clamshell device by the screen and using multitouch gestures. I might be wrong, but it seems too awkward.

I'd say multitouch resistive is best, but as long as I can use nubs for pointer control, I'm not going to make a fuss.

The (micro)SD flamewar is more worth fighting. <_<

I've not used resistive since my HTC Diamond Touch HD phone, and before that had never used capacitive... have to say though I've not missed resistive screens.

I'd vote capacitive, though agree the main Pandora desktop menu might not be so easy to navigate as with a thin stylus

I love my current 1GHz pandora, but I think the next gen pandora screen should NOT be neither capacitive nor resistive.  Based upon the illustrative drawings, it seems like both capacitive and resistive need some power for every single touch, and therefore will make the battery life shorter?  Also, personally I hate the screen gets dirty and perhaps damage if pressed down too hard.  The original idea behind the pandora, correct me if I'm wrong, is to provide hardcore (retro) gamers the flexibility to do whatever they want with the device.  To me touchscreens are for amateurs  :)  .  I kinda like the old-style mouse and touchpad because they are more productive.  Considering the size of the pandora, a touchpad maybe out of the question, but if the new pandora is a little bigger then this should be considered?

Whats wrong with using nubs + face buttons for pointer control?

The only place to put a touchpad in a pandora is on the back.

Flexibility --> lots of input/output devices

good Android support --> multitouch

I'm you don't like the touchscreen, don't use it - some people find it very useful!

Whats wrong with using nubs + face buttons for pointer control?

The only place to put a touchpad in a pandora is on the back.

Flexibility --> lots of input/output devices

good Android support --> multitouch

I'm you don't like the touchscreen, don't use it - some people find it very useful!
I'm not saying the nubs and touchscreen are not useful, especially the nubs I like them.  I'm just saying it would be nice to have the touchpad too since the nubs make my left thumb cramped after a while.  Also what I'm trying to say is that keep everything the 1GHz have now (nubs, buttons, keyboard, etc) but add the touchpad.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no room for a touchpad. Besides, nubs and trackpoints are superior technology.

There is no room for a touchpad. Besides, nubs and trackpoints are superior technology.
Why not put a touchpad on the back (as on the PSvita?)

Also, do you think there is any possibility of having miniature sticks instead of nubs (so they pivot rather than slide)

Why not put a touchpad on the back (as on the PSvita?)

Also, do you think there is any possibility of having miniature sticks instead of nubs (so they pivot rather than slide)
Back where? Bottom of the case makes no sense, nor does the back of the lid. Fingers don't go between the shoulder buttons either. There's no centered place where fingers would naturally reach for a trackpad... why must I type this.

Miniature joysticks? Haven't seen any and there would be no advantage over nubs, would there?

The screen of the pandora is too small for a finger use. If I put my 2 thumbs on the screen I won't see anything! So I want to use a stylus. But I don't care if the screen is capacitive or resistive. I want a precise working stylus that's all.

A Wacom digitizer like there is in the Galaxy Note would be great for very precise (pixel-perfect) stylus control. It's pressure sensitive and even supports hovering which is great in remote desktop applications. Maybe add a digitizer as an optional feature if it's too expensive. It can be combined with capacitive or resistive screen. Like frostfall, I don't care if there is an additional touch screen as long as I can use a stylus. 

I f the thing is going to fully support Android Apps and Games it will be a bit difficult to do that with a resistive screen.  Pretty off puttin for those looking at from an Android perspective.

A Wacom digitizer like there is in the Galaxy Note would be great for very precise (pixel-perfect) stylus control. It's pressure sensitive and even supports hovering which is great in remote desktop applications. Maybe add a digitizer as an optional feature if it's too expensive. It can be combined with capacitive or resistive screen. Like frostfall, I don't care if there is an additional touch screen as long as I can use a stylus. 
I'd second that. I've had a Galaxy Note 2 for 2 days, it's EMR digitiser pen (wacom) is awesome. Capacitive multi-touch screen for finger use, EMR passive pen for precision, pressure sensitivity and hoverable input. It even supports other wacom pens.

Probably not a cheap way to go, but it would be cool.

A P2 with a Wacom digitizer would be my dream device. :)
would a digitizer be that useful in a pandora/clamshell form factor and screen size?
The digitiser would work at least as well as the current stylus does on the Pandora, it would be just as precise, but it would also add the ability to hover the cursor without touching the screen (acting like the cursor when it's controlled by the nubs without left clicking, so you can see tooltips and stuff).

I'm hoping for something like the S Pen for the Galaxy Note. Not sure how it works but it's basically a capacitive screen that also allows the use of a normal stylus instead of those big goofy pen things. That would be great.

However, a digitizer like the one mentioned above would be absolutely amazing. Unfortunately that's not possible because Wacom patented their pen sensor design. No one can use it. I'm still waiting for them to release a TabletPC.

EDIT: Wow, um, perhaps I should learn to read before posting. Turns out the Galaxy Note has a Wacom sensor built into the S-Pen. The phone is basically a digitizer. That's amazing, and has definitely changed my phone choice...

But it also means the likelihood that this can be done for the Pandora 2 is very slim, because Wacom is a very, VERY greedy company. Samsung probably had to pay a fortune to get Wacom to do that.

Back