Capacitive or Resistive touch for the next gen Pandora?

Which one would you prefer for the next gen Pandora?

• Total voters

Last time I checked there was no pressure sensitivity. I have yet to use the pandora for drawing. It's awkward to hold. Nice on the other hand is that you have the keyboard for hotykeys like in myPaint.
It has pressure sensitivity. It isn't officially supported by the OS but programs can connect directly to the device to get the raw data and process it themselves, it's pretty easy. mtPaint has been doing it since shortly after the Pandora first started shipping. I'm no artist and even I've found it useful for doodles. It's not a huge range of pressure values, but seems to work pretty well.

yes I'm my opinion it should be capacitive because they are much more accurate and responsive than resistive and actually have a readily implamented mutitouch (more than 2 simultanious touches) technology where as currenly resitive doesnt have that tech in any product right now.

resistive has only one benefit and that is the pressure sensitiveness which is useful for artists but not much else

yes I'm my opinion it should be capacitive because they are much more accurate and responsive than resistive and actually have a readily implamented mutitouch (more than 2 simultanious touches) technology where as currenly resitive doesnt have that tech in any product right now.

resistive has only one benefit and that is the pressure sensitiveness which is useful for artists but not much else

Problem is precision. Sure they're accurate; they register exactly under a big podgy finger.

Alternatively, they register a cm or 2 in front of your finger, which was Not what I pressed! aaauhrg.

yes I'm my opinion it should be capacitive because they are much more accurate and responsive than resistive and actually have a readily implamented mutitouch (more than 2 simultanious touches) technology where as currenly resitive doesnt have that tech in any product right now
The eeePC 101MT touch screen is resistive and has multitouch AFAIR.

edit: sorry, I just noticed the "more than 2"

Another reason why I don't like to use the Pandora for doodling is that you have to draw very slowly in order to get smoothly curved lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested to know what devices people have used when they compare resistive to capacitive screens. As I'd mentioned I've seen a whole range of differences between devices, so maybe some people have used crap resistive screens or crap capacitive screens (or the inverse).

kuru hotfix 7 alpha 2 should fix the input lag from the touchscreen
Oh that's great to hear. Got to try Xournal once again!

Edit: Hell yeah, forget what I said, it's all good now. Handwriting in Xournal now actually works. Cheers!

Digitizers rock.. I got a used IBM X60t which is resitive with digitizer - I absolutely love it.

The Galaxy note promises to be awesome, too. Would love to try that one out some time. But, and that's what kept me from getting the Lenovo Android Table with digitizer - Android software is very poor. No GIMP, no Xournal, no MyPaint...

How is the Pandora's current resistive screen?

Mediocre. Last time I said this, everyone said "no, it's just the software, the hardware is very good", but I don't think the touch screen is as good as the Nintendo DS, mostly because it's not quite as sensitive, so it almost feels more like a push-screen than a touchscreen. Not bad, but not particularly great.

Capacitive is great for tablets, but for the small screen of the Pandora resistive is more accurate. I even think without any touch screen UIs of emulators would have been better. Touch screen invites devs to use (QT) libraries that are mouse emulating and on the Pandora pretty user unfriendly.

@Milkshake

That was pretty awesome, seems with these developments that capacitive might be the way to go. Best of both worlds. Based on that I change my vote from resistive to capacitive.

^ But is the pressure-sensitivity in the stylus or the screen?

It's probably a soft conducting plastic of some kind, the more you push it down the greater the surface area it covers.

I'm still not convinced although it is something to consider. One of my use cases involves not using the stylus at all, having a need to rapidly switch between poking and controls. For that I use my finger nail because it's difficult to see what I'm touching with my fingers. Some kind of conductive "fake fingernail" might suit that purpose.

I prefer Stylus, I even play Angry Birds with stylus. :D But Pandora has gaming controls so of course they are the main Focus for Input, Usualy I only use analog Mouse nubs for everything on the Pandora, touchscreen pretty seldom, I'm a child of old school input hardware. :D

why not keep it resistive and give the option to get capacitive? but the capacitive option is "on order" and will include the cost of parts upgrade and etc.

I'm just wondering how much precision you need in a screen? I have a 4.3" tablet with a capacitive screen and it's plenty precise. 

Back