Release Hotfix 5 released!

Ok this hot fix has totally messed up the colour or something. It's hard to explain when playing sensi soccer or Mario when the screen moves you can see faint lines going across the screen.

I'm getting this too, did you update via PND or reflash?

I did the PND update, just wondering if I should try a reflash.

That's weird - is it always visible?

We didn't change much here, except for setting the default CPU speed to 600 MHz - maybe some LCDs don't like that exact speed?

That's weird - is it always visible?

We didn't change much here, except for setting the default CPU speed to 600 MHz - maybe some LCDs don't like that exact speed?

No it is not always visible, was running super Mario world at 800 MHz on the SNES EMU, then tried a bit of Mame. Both seemed to have more ghosting. When playing Mario black outlines of scenery seemed to leave a slightly flashing residual trace. Don't remember that happening before, but I've not played Mario much on the Pandora.

Have not noticed any problem with PSX ReARMed, which makes me think that perhaps it is a problem with the way some apps use SDL or something of that nature.

I'd wait and see what other users have to say before investing too much time looking for a fix.

Also WIFI performance rocks with HF5, was good before for me, but is now even better in terms of range & page rendering speed. It is now faster to render pages than my HTC desire when browsing in my bedroom (2 floors up from the router). :)

I've updated with the pnd, and it was deffinately not there before. Depending on the background it varies on how well you can see it, but ghosting is worse. Would a flash install help you think?

Thanks for all the hard work on this. It really has progressed immensely. Just installed via .PND Have a lot of quality Pandora time coming up, pulled my IT band kayak surfing and have to rest.

I have unfortunately not yet received my Pandora, but it's great to know that there are already 5 community-tested updates along with all the tweaks and hacks by other users...Exactly why I love this device and community. But hey, try not to squash all the bugs before I get one, what fun is a device with perfect software anyway. :p

I'll have my Panda tomorrow (the USPS attempted to deliver it yesterday but we didn't hear the doorbell *sigh*). I've downloaded both hotfix 5 and the full firmware package for 5. What's the general consensus - should I do a full firmware update before populating the unit or will the hotfix (pnd) be enough?

Since I have upgraded to HF5 (via PND) all my PNDs that contain a space in the name won't start anymore, neither from the link (which still show up in the menu or on the desktop) nor by running it directly via pnd_run. If I remove the spaces it starts. Did the script change somehow so the path isn't escaped anymore or something like that? I opened the pnd_run script but it's too complicated for my linux knowledge to figure out...

For those in need of one of the removed applications here are their PND downloads for quick reinstallation.

Pidgin

gnumeric

AbiWord

Claws-Mail

ED, could you add the links to your announcement? I think it's more comfortable than on page three of the thread.

am getting occasional mounting error messages; e.g. when trying to autostart wbar or conky.

also still having to reinitialise any keyboard shorcuts that have been made

.pnd install was fast and painless. Seems to be working perfectly as well. Thanks!

ED

Are the SDL libaries included with HF5 the same as before?

I am managing to compile my SDL app except for a reference to <SDL_image>, font and mixer aren't generating any errors, only SDL image.

Any other additions/changes to the development libaries included by default?

I love the new features, but I'm now beginning to encounter some instability and some random oddness. I applied Hotfix 5 via the PND installer, on a replacement Pandora that was newly-arrived.

I keep getting messages that PNDs couldn't be started, but trying again immediately after this makes them run just fine. I also keep getting problems with Thunar, which tends to start as unresponsiveness, but then sometimes locks up the whole system, requiring a hard-reset. If I try to shut down when it's gotten unresponsive, it does not shut down, and instead dumps me to the login screen, instead!

For what it's worth, back when I tried using the newer pnd_run.sh on my old Hotfix 4 system on my previous Pandora, I got this same behaviour. Given the random messages about not being able to start PNDs, I have to wonder, is it connected to the newer pnd_run.sh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the new features, but I'm now beginning to encounter some instability and some random oddness. I applied Hotfix 5 via the PND installer, on a replacement Pandora that was newly-arrived.

I keep getting messages that PNDs couldn't be started, but trying again immediately after this makes them run just fine. I also keep getting problems with Thunar, which tends to start as unresponsiveness, but then sometimes locks up the whole system, requiring a hard-reset. If I try to shut down when it's gotten unresponsive, it does not shut down, and instead dumps me to the login screen, instead!

For what it's worth, back when I tried using the newer pnd_run.sh on my old Hotfix 4 system on my previous Pandora, I got this same behaviour. Given the random messages about not being able to start PNDs, I have to wonder, is it connected to the newer pnd_run.sh?

All I can add, for what it's worth, is that I flashed HF5 and so far have had no issues with Thunar (icon not detail mode which has issues) or PNDs not starting.

I did give some thought to using the PND update but in the end plumbed for the flash. It does make you wonder what possible differences/issues the two update methods might create, if any?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back