Horrid Sound And Fix

chris_c

I noticed that recently my sound while using headphones had a terrible echo like some really cheap nasty reverb gone wrong, it was especially noticeable in tracks with a single solo vocalist - say Annie Lennox or Duffy, it made the lyrics almost illegible.

I've fixed it but I'm not exactly sure why it should behave like it did

you need to edit a file in your home directory called .asoundrc

mousepad .asoundrc

look for a line commented like this

#periods 128

uncomment it (and save of course!), and I'm guessing at least log out, you may need to reboot

anyhow phew - sound back and louder too! at least I can tell what they are singing now!

I did notice that that the config looks a fair bit more complex than I'm used to, personally I'm not bothered with software volume control and am quite happy to use the REAL volume control (thank heaven for it!)

Anyone care to comment on the need for the config being like it is, and does anyone know if its possible to simplify it - alsa is not something I'm terrifically clued up on - but cmus is one of my Pandora's killer apps!

cant see a faulty headphone jack make it echo - crackle or cutout intermittently maybe

but equally i can't make it fault again - either with putting back the comment or waggling the headphone jack!

I should just be grateful its fixed - but I hate it when I can't reproduce a problem...

Back