Sound and Desktop in Debian Wheezy

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
Seeing how it runs so well (fast and clean GUI, not fancy bullshit :) ) on mom's cheap machine, I replaced my desktop Linux Mint with Debian Wheezy amd64 (64bit version?).  Anyhow, forced it to install xfce from a clean install and everything went well.  However, I cannot seem to get the sound to work.  I have dual monitors: one is connected via VGA and the other is via HDMI.  Somehow Wheezy always uses the default sound device and not the HDMI one.  Unlike Mint, Wheezy does not have a graphical sound setting where I can just pick the sound device and be done with it.  I did google around and found stuff about messing around with the .asoundrc file and stuff.  Tried all stuff with it but still doesn't work.  How can I, in terminal, magically redirect or force Wheezy to output sound via the HDMI cable instead of the default one?

Another question:  Where do I put this line 'xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of HDMI1' so it will automatically extend the desktops instead of mirroring them on boot?

Thanks,

Shenmue

Last edited by a moderator:
Try installing pavucontrol to select the sound device?

- Neelix
That's it!  Question #1 solved. Thanks! :)

Question #2:  Any idea where to put this line 'xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of HDMI1' so it will automatically extend the desktops instead of mirroring them on boot?

I recently switched to Debian Wheezy XFCE from Mint 14 as well.  So far - it's absolutely great!

Quick, clean, no unnecessary BS.  Perfect.

Now to figure out if I want to spend the time to do that to the other 10+ Linux installs of varying flavors and versions that I have installed through my extended family's machines.  So far I'm leaning towards yes.

Just compiled 64-bit dolphin emulator on wheezy and it runs way better than on windows on!  Yeah!  No turning back to windows now :D

Back