Homemade Power Adapter?

Polymira

Still Fresh
Has anyone out there worked on a homemade wall or usb power adapter for the gp2x? A conversion from another adapter, or anything of the sort ... i need one, but would prefer not to shell out $25 + shipping for one =/

thanks

Polymira

Still Fresh
By USB, i mean an adapter that plugs into a pc USB port, and the gp2x's power port...

This was done for the psp, and a bunch of other devices, so i don't see why not ... may have to step the power down slightly, but other then that...

Kensupen

I just bought a 2amp regulated one from Radio Shack for digital cameras. It came with the correct adapter plug for the GP2X and I've had no issues with it. I tested the voltage and it runs between 3~3.3v DC and <0.01v AC. I recommend this one if you live in the States.

-Kensupen

Polymira

Still Fresh
Kensupen -

Could you give me the Radio Shack part #? & how much did you pay?

thanks a bunch

Chip

[Insert Custom Title Here]
Website
chipandre.com
I advise AGAINST a home-made USB power adater. The maximum output of a USB port (as per spec) is 500mA. The maximum draw of a GP2X is somewhere in the neiborhood of 850mA. While it's possible to make a regulating PS that would protect your USB bus from being toasted, is it really worth the risk?

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I have a harddisk that takes well over 500ma. It came with a usb adaptor so you didn't need a external power supply. The adaptor consisted of two USB plugs so it could share the current between them - maybe something similar could be done for the gp2x.

aapje89

Still here...
Website
Visit site
Has anyone out there worked on a homemade wall or usb power adapter for the gp2x? A conversion from another adapter, or anything of the sort ... i need one, but would prefer not to shell out $25 + shipping for one =/

thanks
are you sure you cant buy adapters with the right voltage somewhere near you?
I can just go to the store and get the one I want.... (and they don't cost $25 ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:

BradN

For one port, it might be possible with a 5V -> 3V step down converter, but I don't think you'll get any higher than 800mA at 3V from it, and you'll need a very effecient converter for that (>95%). If you want to power it from 2 ports, all you probably need is a couple diodes to drop the voltage down from 5V to something closer to 3.6 or so.

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes
Website
Visit site
I seem to recall you were able to plug in one of the Gameboys to a USB port and power it through that. I also seem to recall that the Gameboy power adapter was fine to plug into the GP2X, you just had to realign the centre positive/negative. Although, it may have been the GBA SP for the first one, in which case it won't work.

I got a supply from fry's for $10 that was regulated, took international power, had a 90 degree head and was available online for that same $10. I don't know how inexpensive you think the USB setup is going to be...

I just tried searching for the numerous other posts I linked directly to the unit, and came to the conclusion that the search feature here was useless and that there was a refusal to use useful stickies for common solutions.