Power Adapter

SnipaMasta

Still Fresh
Website
www.snipamasta.co.uk
I've been trying to get some kind of a mains adapter to work for my GP2X - but I've been having problems. I'm using a 3volt adapter that does fit the power hole - and set the polarity working with what it says in the manual (positive outside, negative inside - which does seem a bit odd), but when I put the plug in the screen goes screwy and it doesn't work.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem - or managed to get an adapter to work.

(naw)mcx posted on Feb 7 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
Same with me.  It has to be 3.5v i think

me too,
I can`t find a mains adaptor that does 3.5v :(
Yet another GPH screwup :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
me too,
I can`t find a mains adaptor that does 3.5v :(
Yet another GPH screwup :angry:

Not really.... I have an 800 mA adaptor at 3 V and my gp2x works fine for hours on end.

Way to jump to conclusions.

Yeah, sounds like it's not the voltage but the current. You need around 1amp to power the gp2x (read the manual), a lot of cheaper multi-voltage adaptors only do about 350ma. Be carefull not to go too high above 1amp though or chances are you'll brick your gp2x.

oh and it def is 3v. mine runs at 3V and 1.2A and works like a treat.

I have this generator in my garden, i have to put oil in it to run. It makes a loud DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN sound all night... The power outage is well over 3000watts, if i plug my gp2x into this, would it be ok?

;)

I bought a uniross adapter from gp2x.co.uk with my gp32, is the power voltage the same with a gp32 as with a gp2x? im not going to try unless someone else does. So who is going to pull the short straw first? DaveC? I know youd like to ;)

Look on the power adapter, and if it supplies 3V at 1000ma (1A) or more and has the symbol for the center being negative, it will work perfectly.

Are you sure you're current reading is correct? If the draw is 1.2A, you are either measuring wrong, or your unit is defective (either the PSU or the GP2X). Try a different adapter. I believe the max draw when you are watching a movie, playing a game, etc. should be closer to 800mA and when you are just in the menu it should be closer to 500mA. Current values are appoximate; I didn't search for the exact, but I do know that 1.2A is way too high.

I'm not sure if you know this but just in case you don't. For current measurements, you put the meter in series, and for Voltage, you put the meter in parallel.

I think he was reading it off the adapter itself.

Make sure it's centre negative, and make sure it's regulated.

Oh, when he said the voltage was slightly higher, I assumed he must have been measuring it along with the current. If the PSU just says 1.2A, that doesn't mean it constantly outputs 1.2A; it can output up to 1.2A

Donny, Nickspoon got it - the adapter is 1.2A - not the draw from the unit (which would be lower, I know).

Nickspoon - the polarity is correct - the centre is negative. As for being regulated, I have no idea if it is or not. Is the GP2X really that sensitive?

And when I said the voltage was higher I was just running the adapter from the mains socket and measuring it - and the voltage appeared to be about 3.5/4

SnipaMasta posted on Feb 8 2006 at 12:16 AM said:
Nickspoon - the polarity is correct - the centre is negative. As for being regulated, I have no idea if it is or not. Is the GP2X really that sensitive?
The GP32 was. I thought all LCD screens were.

Apparently, the GP2X doesn't like non-regulated power supplies, though I'm unsure that this is the case, as I've been using a regulated universal one the whole time, and it works. Try a regulated one if possible, to see if that solves your problem.

I had a choice in store between 800 mA and 1.7A multivoltage adapters, so I went with the 1.7A.... Sure it cost $10 more.

Same day I bought the NiMH 2600 mAh rechargables, which was $15 more then the 2400mAh.

So instead of spending about 75 after taxes, I spent like 100 after taxes... just on power for the 2X, and that book on 3D Level Design.

I love macaroni and cheese.

im just gonna wait til craigx tells me what to do, ive not been led astray by him wrongly before! I got my adapter for my gp32 from him! Im just wondering if he would stock one... the adapter for my gp32.. i put it at 3v, after that it goes up to 5v and above, no 3.5v though...

I just got one at Walmart for 15 bucks. Replacable tips, 1.3A adjustable Voltage (3-12).

Set it to 3V and plug in the right head, and It worked clear through an episode of Naruto.

GeminiDomino posted on Feb 8 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
Set it to 3V and plug in the right head, and It worked clear through an episode of Naruto.
And then EXPLODED.

Back