Power Supply Crock Of Crap

Website
Visit site
I just bought a wall plug to my gp2x (f100) and it only cost $16.99. at radio shack. The special adapter to convert power into dc is a crock of crap. it is just a myth. You don't need the gp2x adaptor.

...what?

Nobody has ever said you needed the official adaptor. It just needs to be the right head, with 3v and negative polarity. Your "wall plug" is obviously converting the AC to DC too, or it wouldn't work.

The polarity is important too, as without it, magic smoke escapes, and its a complete git to get it back in.

$17? That sounds awfully cheap compared to what I paid at Radio Shack a year ago ($30), sounds more like the prices of the low amp ones. 2A sounds way too high, I haven't even seen Radio Shack sell anything like that, but the ones I've seen on the "approved" list on the wiki were the 1A one (that cost like $40 last I checked) and the 800mA cellphone charger. The kind you got sounds more like one of those 300 or so mA ones, could you let us in on that?

Tesco and Argos in the UK sell multi-adapters for £7.00 ($14.00).

I contacted the UK distributers of GP2X and they stated that these are the ones they use.

Exophase said:
... 2A sounds way too high, I haven't even seen Radio Shack sell anything like that, but the ones I've seen on the "approved" list on the wiki were the 1A one ...
The official adapter reads 3.3V 0-3.0A (set at 2.0A). I bought one new with my GP2X-F200.

Last edited by a moderator:
bman said:
Exophase said:
... 2A sounds way too high, I haven't even seen Radio Shack sell anything like that, but the ones I've seen on the "approved" list on the wiki were the 1A one ...
The official adapter reads 3.3V 0-3.0A (set at 2.0A). I bought one new with my GP2X-F200.

The official adaptor has a switch for the amperage? :blink:

I don't think even 1A is enough. I did some crude tests with my GP2X and it often draws up to 1.5A for a brief moment while powering on (and then it settles at 0.5A). This results in it not powering on 9/10 times when powered off my 1A AC adapter.

I bought a nice adaptor at Fry's Electronics. 3A, multiple voltages, and it comes with half a dozen switchable plugs. It cost less than 20 dollars. :)

Orkie said:
I don't think even 1A is enough. I did some crude tests with my GP2X and it often draws up to 1.5A for a brief moment while powering on (and then it settles at 0.5A). This results in it not powering on 9/10 times when powered off my 1A AC adapter.
The strange thing is that I have a 1.2A adaptor, and it works fine everytime :eek:

You guys know how they like to underate the things though. I've got a 5v switching-type usb wall adapter, and despite being rated for 500mAh, I can pull 800mAh easy without the thing so much as getting warm. (actual, tested with meter).

I feed my homebrew handheld with 2000mAh, so it grew 2 feet long...

I bought the official adapter (AUD$20), its safer. ;o)

...all those people who accidentally reversed polarity or switched the wrong voltage and killed the tiny electronic pixies...

Back