Homebrew competition!!

I've only ever programmed in Java (and some *very* simple Python and BASIC) so I guess it would be good to try C++ for creating a game? Propably use this "SDL"-thing? Are there any good tutorials or something for how to do game loops, pixel/continuous collision and scrolling in C++ (or is it not so different from Java)? I would like to try making a simple game for the competition (even if I'd have no chance of winning anything ^^) but I wasn't even able to get SDL to run with code::blocks...

I've only ever programmed in Java (and some *very* simple Python and BASIC) so I guess it would be good to try C++ for creating a game? Propably use this "SDL"-thing? Are there any good tutorials or something for how to do game loops, pixel/continuous collision and scrolling in C++ (or is it not so different from Java)? I would like to try making a simple game for the competition (even if I'd have no chance of winning anything ^^) but I wasn't even able to get SDL to run with code::blocks...
Sebt3 is currently guiding me to making my first PND application using C++ and SDL. Once you've played a bit with SDL and you're looking to PND something it would be easiest to follow that.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58490-yactfeau/page__st__15

I've decided against using an IDE (proggers on an sdl forum said command line is always better).

But yeah if you want to have a go at creating a PND application in c++ and SDL that just shows a BMP then this is a good place to start. You can then follow the lazy foo tutorials and PNd them up and test as you go :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sebt3 is currently guiding me to making my first PND application using C++ and SDL. Once you've played a bit with SDL and you're looking to PND something it would be easiest to follow that.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58490-yactfeau/page__st__15

I've decided against using an IDE (proggers on an sdl forum said command line is always better).

But yeah if you want to have a go at creating a PND application in c++ and SDL that just shows a BMP then this is a good place to start. You can then follow the lazy foo tutorials and PNd them up and test as you go :)

Excellent, I will try those links, thanks! Now I just hope I'll be able to set up the toolchain under Windows... Or maybe I'll use that Linux Virtuabox someone posted somewhere... :)

The link I provided is to Sebt3s toolchain and I've asked typical newb questions. If you follow that link you should be able to follow set-up of toolchain to PND'ing your first SDL application

Which should give you a head start both in C++ SDL absolute basics to PNDing them :)

How do I install SDL on the Pandora (for compiling something on the go)? I'm relatively new to linux and none of the things on the lazy foo site work (apt-get, yum, rpm...).

I already got the pictue to load on my desktop though, yay me! :)

Edit: Oh I have to use opkg! heh...

http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=106

Worked for me the first time I tried it, the second time it banned me from logging in, so I had to reflash... B)
You probably ran out of NAND space somehow the second time. Your best bet would be to boot from SD when doing onboard development. I mean, I was originally able to get everything I needed onto the NAND with about 30MB of space left, but that doesn't exactly give you a lot of breathing room.

Oi I didn't think about that, I guess I'll have to get another SD card and install an image on it.

Edit: Hm it looks like I only have 39.4 MB space available, I guesd I really shouldn't try to squeeze the c++ stuff on there... I wonder though what I did to only have so few MBs left, apart from the MIDI package and the codec pack I din't think I installed anything to the NAND? Is there a way to find out what's eating all the space and possibly remove it?

A *LOT* of work to do, but wanted to share some tile blitting and the first few frames of my Sprite Sheet.

Cheers!

Will probably hold off on the bed and the poor wood tile as that's more for a top down RPG style game. Fairly happy with the shaded bit of the blanket. Pillows are crud. The knot needs to be longer. Right now it looks a bit like a target. Not sure how wavy I want the bad wood grain to be. I could straighten it all out and make it "planks" for hardwood - like in a bowling alley.

Knotty wood:

Screen1.png

Sprite Sheet:

Screen2.png

Edit: I'm fairly happy with the animation of the conveyor belt - though I didn't bother making an animated gif to show it.

Ah, linked lists, it's been too long. How I love to hate thee!

^ I'd suggest making the floor a bit darker and less contrast-y. Now it feels more like a wall :) . The character probably won't stand out. See here for tips on the subject (great tutorial altogether).

Other than that, looking nice :)

^ I'll try to re-encode it. Works for me.

EDIT: darn, now the audio and video are out of sync :(

EDIT2: Oh, and if anyone wants to host the higher quality video, I'd be happy to share it.

EDIT3: I'll try youtube, though last time they only showed green frames after transcoding? :unsure:

Theres a cmmon problem with one of the video files.i had same issue

Convert it to AVI then upload to youtube worked for me

^ I'm trying different combinations for container and video codec. Let's see if I could get it to work.

EDIT: So far so good :) , at least the preview shows actual frames. I changed the container to AVI and audio to mp3. Video is still theora. For reference, recorded with recordMyDesktop and transcoded using ffmpeg

Code:
ffmpeg -i wars-commando-preview-3.ogv -r 30 -vcodec copy -acodec libmp3lame wars-commando-preview-3.avi

Yay! B)

(Tip: don't resize videos for youtube. Let them handle it)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pf4pMU2HKiQ?feature=oembed

B-Zar, love the run and gun. It's a little odd to me seeing those huge boulders and being able to run / shoot right past them. Really like the grenades. Like the background wall, want something other than just brown for the platforms you're running on. I second Anihil8ion's sentiment, looking good!

Edit: lots of spikes, yikes! Looks like one has to be careful with the grenades, looks like you got yourself before the tank splattered you!

Edit 2: what're you using for screen capture?

Edit the 3rd: Yeah, I've bookmarked the "So you want to be a pixel artist" and the Lazy Foo tutorials sites. Both are really good references.

Messing around with level loading and initializing code. So much easier, in the short term, to simply draw stuff directly to the screen.

Need to get a "zoom" function going soon. The character at 16x27 is just too small for the Pandora's screen!

^ I'm trying different combinations for container and video codec. Let's see if I could get it to work.

EDIT: So far so good :) , at least the preview shows actual frames. I changed the container to AVI and audio to mp3. Video is still theora. For reference, recorded with recordMyDesktop and transcoded using ffmpeg

Code:
ffmpeg -i wars-commando-preview-3.ogv -r 30 -vcodec copy -acodec libmp3lame wars-commando-preview-3.avi

Yay! B)

(Tip: don't resize videos for youtube. Let them handle it)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pf4pMU2HKiQ?feature=oembed

Very Nice!

Are you going to release the source? I really want to look it over...

Back