Homebrew competition!!

Cannot wait to get home and play these games tonight!

I remember Bzars being a pisstake to get past the 2nd level though!

Teehee :p

The first two levels are more of an introduction. The difficulty curve starts at level 3. :D

FTR: I've played through all the levels except for the last. But even for that I've made sure that every step of the game is possible to get through without losing one heart. The end boss is also very much possible, I'm just not good enough at the game yet :)

Just remember: double tap to run (important for jumps), you can aim grenades (press up/down when throwing) and you can fire faster by tapping the fire button than just holding it.
That double tap thing took me ages to figure out. I was going nuts as to why I couldnt make certain jumps, lol

I probably should emphasize that somehow. All the jumps are possible without running up to level 3 (except for the harder routes).

I probably should emphasize that somehow. All the jumps are possible without running up to level 3 (except for the harder routes).
This game is a fucking joy to play. Challenging as hell.

Thanks for all the time and effort!

Good luck!

Well I didn't get close to finishing my game in time for the competition, but at least I got started with C++ and for my first project I think it doesn't look too shabby. :)

cool, good stuff Emnasut.. keep hacking on it for the next round, and let us know how it's going!

I made a webpage for my game, with some hints for playing it: Rescue - web page

I've been enjoying to play all of the games, I'll give my one line reviews here:

Greyout: I really like the idea, the style, and the feel. A clever puzzles / action combo makes this a favourite for me. Foxblock's world upsets my mind in a fun way!

Raedr: Nice, cute and fun game from MrZ, my son (3) was very enthusiastic when he heard it has a dragon! and my wife and I like it too.

Rescue: This is my one. More bloody than Pulp Fiction! More gratuitous nudity than Eyes Wide Shut! Better physics than Pong! Beware the Wumpus and Grue!

Robo Hell: I like the style, and it seems to be a very challenging one! I hope RichiZ will fix pygame asap ;) so we can all enjoy it on the go.

Snowman: Lol it's scary trying to budget that snow! Missiles shot from your own snowy body. A 'cool' challenge from ZiZ, and awesome work on the engine.

Unready: A race against time, QuantenMagier runs through fields of lava, seemingly without end! This can be a big hit like Tetris! Unready 3d, bring in on mama.

Wars-Commando: I, my wife, and son have been playing keenly for days! A rich retro-style game. I envy B-ZaR that he released early, no all-night rush to finish!

Thanks everyone, and especially RichiZ, for giving us some really beaut new games. I for sure am enjoying and will continue to enjoy each of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man, I'm glad you enjoyed Robo Hell. Despite it's many flaws I poured my blood sweat and tears into that for the first 3 weeks. Hit a major stumbling block by attempting to switch to C++ and SDL midway through due to framerate issues.

That was my downfall to having a polished game as SDL required a lot more learning :(

Hey man, I'm glad you enjoyed Robo Hell. Despite it's many flaws I poured my blood sweat and tears into that for the first 3 weeks. Hit a major stumbling block by attempting to switch to C++ and SDL midway through due to framerate issues.

That was my downfall to having a polished game as SDL required a lot more learning :(

FWIW I think you should have stuck with pygame for the duration of the competition.. In any case, what you did release there is a great start, and I'd love to see the end result if you decide to finish it.

I'd be happy to help you port it to C++ / SDL, to say 'thanks' for organising the comp. Actually C++ is very similar to python, you can almost do it automatically. I wrote a game once in python and was surprised how simple it was to translate to C++, but I did know C++ and STL well enough already.

The SDL boilerplate could be an obstacle, but once you've done that it gets easy. Of course it's often harder to debug C or C++ compared to python.

We might also be able to fix python / pygame. It really should work fine for your game I think. The Pandora has plenty enough grunt to run Robo-hell at 60fps. Perhaps there's a lot of floating point math going on in your game? I can't imagine there would be more math or sillier n^2 algorithms than in my game though! Or maybe we have a pessimal python / pygame shipped with the Pandora?

Robo-hell works 100% smoothly at 60fps on my 1Ghz netbook (HP mini), which is barely more powerful than the Pandora. From my tests the Pandora's GLES is actually much stronger than the Intel 'family graphics' GL on my netbook (at least with the Linux driver).

^ One thing I noticed was rendering the text every frame instead of using a cached copy of it. Rendering text from a truetype font is slow.

Hey Swwam

That's a very cool offer of you! I'm reading a helluva lot up on C++ and SDL at the moment and started a new game already. PyGame does have known issues and myownlittleworld took a look at my source and advised ?I should be using dirtyrects. I should've looked into that but I'm trying to get my brain geared toward c++ now!

There's this issue with PyGame

http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=122

And this one

http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=121

It's a shame because on the app store/open handhelds theres a game called Bubb Man 2 which was written in Pygame and that's pretty damn slow...I've tried a bunch of pygames and there all really slow. Was a shame as that's what I basically bought my Pandora for!!

But then looking at SDL it's not that different so I guess I just have to learn that.

I enjoyed doing Robo Hell...I don't have much intention to fix it however as I'll just try a new game with a few more variables I think. I'd like to have a gun and figure out how to do some splatter shots like when your hero bumps his head!

I've tried a bunch of pygames and there all really slow. Was a shame as that's what I basically bought my Pandora for!!

Do you know if they did an optimized build of python and pygame for the Pandora? I just mean, using the right FPU and compile options, etc. Maybe ED would be the guy to ask about it.

I think it might be an issue with python not so much SDL or pygame, non-graphics parts of your code profiled as being really slow, more so than the graphics plotting IIRC.

I might try to build python myself on the Pandora, I'll see if I can get it to work any better.

Sam

Back