Holiday Reordering Mini-update

Thanks for the update. Just found out today that a cc refund apparently started for me (had no idea) in September and just finished processing ?! :angry:

Definitely want to get the order alive again. :)

I just posted this on the other thread, but wanted to mention that I was able to open a dispute on my Amex card using their online tools. Go back to your statement with the charge, then if you click on the transaction it has a link to open an investigation.

I was quite surprised, since the Amex chargeback window is normally 60 days, so I rushed to put in a chargeback just in case the Amex refunds were never going to come. It sounds like anyone else who paid via Amex might want to do the same thing...

Opening an investigation doesn't mean they will do the chargeback, though if we get permission from the vendor in writing it probably would assist us in getting this done.

That being said, I will allow for them to follow-up on this further because I think what this bank is doing is 100% immoral and I'm pretty sure it's illegal as well. It's not as though AMEX didn't remit the funds. It was their stupid decision to process this way. If they wanted assurance of no chargeback they could have requested further documentation from us regarding that we wouldn't do this.

Instead this bank began this ridiculous refund fiasco which they have been extremely slow with and will cost thousands of dollars divided out amongst everyone to repay currency conversion fees, and for losses due to fluctuations in value.

Xanas said:
Opening an investigation doesn't mean they will do the chargeback, though if we get permission from the vendor in writing it probably would assist us in getting this done.

That being said, I will allow for them to follow-up on this further because I think what this bank is doing is 100% immoral and I'm pretty sure it's illegal as well. It's not as though AMEX didn't remit the funds. It was their stupid decision to process this way. If they wanted assurance of no chargeback they could have requested further documentation from us regarding that we wouldn't do this.

Instead this bank began this ridiculous refund fiasco which they have been extremely slow with and will cost thousands of dollars divided out amongst everyone to repay currency conversion fees, and for losses due to fluctuations in value.
Yeah, I know it's not guaranteed but given we're getting close to 90 days I'd rather be safe than sorry and at least get the investigation going and not find myself outside the window unable to do anything. I resisted doing a chargeback hoping it would all sort itself out but given the latest news that the bank isn't refunding money on their own, I wanted to be sure I did what I could.

The bank definitely is doing some screwy stuff here, making some interest while they sit on all of our payments...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update as always, Chip.

With the New Year just around the corner, I've been focusing on fresh starts. Soon we'll have this refund fiasco behind us, and a Pandora delivery to all not long after! Think about that for a minute, and it makes this whole situation so much easier. :)

And a Merry Christmas to all!

some good news at least, will a video of a unit in it's retail housing and running be up in time?

Can you please confirm, deny, or (perhaps most likely) refuse to either confirm or deny that the CC reordering infrastructure won't be live until at least one completed unit exists.

Klepto said:
Can you please confirm, deny, or (perhaps most likely) refuse to either confirm or deny that the CC reordering infrastructure won't be live until at least one completed unit exists.
And some kind of manufacturing update. Things like whether the 2000 screens anticipated by now have come?

Klepto said:
Whichever is ready first will be up first.

I still couldn't figure out, how to order a Pandora. Do I still hold a chance? I have registered for the e-mail subscription from the OpenPandora.org site long time back, but I never received anything.

Please let me know, if I can order a Pandora. I am very excited about this project.

Kasi Viswanath said:
I still couldn't figure out, how to order a Pandora. Do I still hold a chance? I have registered for the e-mail
When it's possible, you'll notice the information on here, on openpandora.org, and maybe even on the mailing list.

hey

Buzzy42 said:
I just posted this on the other thread, but wanted to mention that I was able to open a dispute on my Amex card using their online tools. Go back to your statement with the charge, then if you click on the transaction it has a link to open an investigation.

I was quite surprised, since the Amex chargeback window is normally 60 days, so I rushed to put in a chargeback just in case the Amex refunds were never going to come. It sounds like anyone else who paid via Amex might want to do the same thing...
I think we were advised by craigix not todo any chargebacks, cause the bank decided planned (edit: hopefully it didn't go further than the planning stages, hehe) to charge craigix an absurd amount for everytime there is a chargeback. Hmm, I guess this might be a reason why the bank is holding off doing the refunds.

edit
To quote part of craigix's post:
craigix said:
Also please don't request charge backs - this only leads the bank to believe they were 'right' to do this and weakens our argument that there were wrong - they have also told us they plan to charge us $38 for every charge back they receive just to kick us while we are down due to their actions.
cyas

yosh64 said:
hey

Buzzy42 said:

I think we were advised by craigix not todo any chargebacks, cause the bank decided planned (edit: hopefully it didn't go further than the planning stages, hehe) to charge craigix an absurd amount for everytime there is a chargeback. Hmm, I guess this might be a reason why the bank is holding off doing the refunds.

edit
To quote part of craigix's post:
craigix said:
Also please don't request charge backs - this only leads the bank to believe they were 'right' to do this and weakens our argument that there were wrong - they have also told us they plan to charge us $38 for every charge back they receive just to kick us while we are down due to their actions.
cyas

In one of the reorders threads (post 413), it was posted that people who contacted them with Amex cards and no refunds were told to do chargebacks, as of a day or two ago.

I definitely didn't mean to cause any problems, just was trying to keep the ball rolling. :/ I actually figured it would kick me straight back out given the amount of time that had passed.

I think Amex ceased all business line credit accounts in mid november which is causing all the problems there

hey

Thanks for clearing that up Buzzy42.

I quote Jacquelyn from this thread/post

I have just been in informed by HSBC that they are unable to refund American Express transactions and the only way to receive the refund is for you to initiate a chargeback.

I am so sorry about this. They only informed me within the last ten minutes when I contacted them again, I have contacted them numerous times over the last month with regard to refunds not received. Over the last week the majority seemed to be only American Express refunds and I insisted on receiving a reason for this.

Hah, I remember my mum was telling me the other day that alot of businesses (at least in Australia) don't offer American Express because they charge alot more for it to be used compared to some other credit cards or something. Now does this seem like any coincidence that they are not giving refunds to American Express cards, seeing as though it may cost more? I dunno. edit: I don't think ya can really jump to any conclusions here, but this does at least make me suspicious.

cyas

As one of the people who ordered through Amex, I (and others) really need to know whether to do a chargeback or not, as apparently we still can. I know that it was mentioned not to do chargebacks, but it was ALSO mentioned (Jacquelyn) to do them.

This being obviously time sensitive, I think we need to know as soon as possible (within the next day or two, in case it's a 90 day limit on chargebacks) as to what we should do. The worst case scenario here that I can conceive is that those who ordered via Amex can no longer do chargebacks, and yet the bank will not give you the money for whatever reason (do banks really need one?), making everyone the loser.

Parak said:
As one of the people who ordered through Amex, I (and others) really need to know whether to do a chargeback or not, as apparently we still can. I know that it was mentioned not to do chargebacks, but it was ALSO mentioned (Jacquelyn) to do them.

This being obviously time sensitive, I think we need to know as soon as possible (within the next day or two, in case it's a 90 day limit on chargebacks) as to what we should do. The worst case scenario here that I can conceive is that those who ordered via Amex can no longer do chargebacks, and yet the bank will not give you the money for whatever reason (do banks really need one?), making everyone the loser.
I hate to be the nay-sayer in all this but I'd really do the chargeback- or at least initiate the process- if I were you. (Which I already did). Since it seems like the office staff at Openpandora are telling people that chargebacks may be the only way we get a refund, I decided it's worth a shot. I didn't expect it to let me file this late after the charge, and granted I have seen NO money back in my account, so it is far from settled.

But given that it's the holidays and there is a strong chance there won't be any firm answers until after Jan 1, which would be past 90 days for most orders, it seems like trying to get the money back is not a bad thing. Maybe if you're in doubt (I hadn't seen the post from Craig about how much a chargeback costs when I started mine) wait until Dec. 30 or 31 but keep an eye on the calendar.

I did email Debs at OpenPandora to ask for clarification and explain why I was doing the chargeback but she hasn't responded. (again, understandable with the holidays, it's possible we'll get more info tomorrow)

Back