Hi Res (.mov) Files

Samalthos

Still Fresh
Website
www.myspace.com
Is there any way of playing (.mov) files on pandora? they sqay that they are hi res and they are extremly good quality (oh by the way did i mention that they are Red vs. Blue and Hey, Shipwreck?)

Exarus said:
Is there any way of playing (.mov) files on pandora? they sqay that they are hi res and they are extremly good quality (oh by the way did i mention that they are Red vs. Blue and Hey, Shipwreck?)
MPlayer supports the .MOV container. As long as they are not DRMed, they should be fine. Though often hi-res .MOV files are encoded with h.264, which we may not have an optimized full speed codec for right at launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
H264 might not be optimized at launch, but could be full speed at some point, right? I sure hope so!

elinscheid said:
H264 might not be optimized at launch, but could be full speed at some point, right? I sure hope so!
Absolutely. HD h.264 playback is one of the primary features that TI is touting for its 35xx line. The chip is certainly capable, it's just a matter of getting the codec optimized for the hardware. The quick MPlayer port that Squidge did a while back was just that - quick and dirty. Even so it got to within about 15% of full speed. It shouldn't take much to get h.264 running smoothly.

Cool, this is one of the many benefits of Pandora, the same software and hardware on all units, and actual optimized movie playback :).

I hope that this will really be able to play a lot of stuff, because that will be awesome.

Sweet! I still can't believe how powerful this little computer is going to be. It's absolutely a dream product. Full speed play back with a high resolution screen means no more spending hours re-encoding video to be played back on a crappy product. And Svideo out. When I think about all that this little device is going to be able to do... I really can't think of anything it is missing. It's perfect.

Chip said:
elinscheid said:
Absolutely. HD h.264 playback is one of the primary features that TI is touting for its 35xx line. The chip is certainly capable, it's just a matter of getting the codec optimized for the hardware. The quick MPlayer port that Squidge did a while back was just that - quick and dirty. Even so it got to within about 15% of full speed. It shouldn't take much to get h.264 running smoothly.

If i remenber Squidge don't use level2 cache in his version of mplayer. cache Level2 could done 3 to 4x faster than normal build.
Some people are working to optimise mplayer for OMAP NEON (beagleboard/Pandora) and maybe the DSP could do some job ;)
http://git.mansr.com/?p=omapfbplay;a=summary

elinscheid said:
Sweet! I still can't believe how powerful this little computer is going to be. It's absolutely a dream product. Full speed play back with a high resolution screen means no more spending hours re-encoding video to be played back on a crappy product. And Svideo out. When I think about all that this little device is going to be able to do... I really can't think of anything it is missing. It's perfect.
its missing VGA out :/ seeing that we got direct access to the video chips and other interfaces, I hope that I can atleast get 640x480 pixel perfect

JayFoxRox said:
elinscheid said:
its missing VGA out :/ seeing that we got direct access to the video chips and other interfaces, I hope that I can atleast get 640x480 pixel perfect

Yeah, it's a pity that it can play HD files and no way to watch it on TV. Also 3g / hsdpa would be awesome, so it's still missing stuff. If a Pandora 1.5 would be released with HDMI / VGA and 3g / HSDPA, it would be awesome, then really it wouldn't be missing anything for me.

Let "3g / HSDPA" in phone or plug it by HS USB Host port. But some video interface for connecting standard PC monitor, allowing at least 1024x768, will be super (D-SUB, (mini)DVI, hdmi...). May be MK2 :)

Anyway, I'll preorder MK1 Pandora without hesitating. I'll be fully satisfied with it as it now.

Back