Release Hatari (Atari ST emulator) 1.6.1 released

I have definitely saved the config, as when I quit and restart my default rom location is still in the disks window, disk B uses the location, but disk A doesn't seem to want to as it always defaults to the appdata folder.

Not too sure if there is anything else I can try?

Cheers

Rob

I included 1.4 in there as well, so you can try both, see if their behaviour differs. The config file shoudlnm't have changed appreciably, so it shoudl be compatible with both versions.

(ie: one appdata has both 1.4 and 1.6.1)

jeff

I didn't touch any code there, so probably a bug in Hatari; I've not had time to check it I'm afraid ..

jeff

Ok, will give the last version a try on my desktop later and report back.

Just tried on my Linux desktop (hatari 5.0) and it looks like it indeed doesn't save the file automatically. I think the program tries, but fails because the current file needs to be overwritten. So might be a bug in Hatari.

In the terminal..

File '/home/bob/.hatari/auto.sav' exists, overwrite?

I included 1.4 in there as well, so you can try both, see if their behaviour differs.
Yeah, I don't know why I was thinking of digging out the old version when there was a 1.4 icon in front of me. Turns out the behaviour is still good in the old version. Specifics: When you launch Cubase, it pops up asking if you want to use "VDI" or "Quick" video driver. In Hatari 1.4 you just pick one and you're good. In 1.6, the popup never appears, so you can't continue.

I can't share the files here so I'll drop you a PM.

Hey.. Could we have a version that doesn't moan about hard drives.. I seem to remember even if I use the non hard drive version it still complains about some hdd stuff... Bit annoying as I ran the non hdd one..

Hi all!

Did anybody (Gruso?) try MIDI stuff yet? I don't particularily need to run a full cubase or stuff like that, but there is a bunch of synth editors and librarians that would be very, very useful to get working...Any experiences?

I just tried a few MIDI apps app. two weeks ago. Got running cracked version of Cubase 3.1, Master Track Pro and a some other MIDI apps, also synth librarian for Kawai K4. MIDI timing performance is a joke unfortunately. Simply the hardware/software of Pandora is not powerfull enough to keep the timing steady. You can hear the tempo changes with plain ear. So speaking of sequencing, you'll get better results with Seq24 in default OS. Speaking of librarians, they should work as well as sample editors for samplers. MIDI connectivity is there, you just need to enable it in the emulator's setting. I couldn't try it as I don't have my old Kawai K4 at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey.. Could we have a version that doesn't moan about hard drives.. I seem to remember even if I use the non hard drive version it still complains about some hdd stuff... Bit annoying as I ran the non hdd one..
Jeff... Any ideas??

It never bugs me about Hard Drive stuff - what TOS are you using?

Did anybody (Gruso?) try MIDI stuff yet? I don't particularily need to run a full cubase or stuff like that, but there is a bunch of synth editors and librarians that would be very, very useful to get working...Any experiences?
Funny, just had to replace the battery in my Korg M1, and now I'm wondering if I can use some of the old ST librarians to restore factory presets/tinker around.

(if so, what cables are people using too.. could a USB-Midi cable be used on the mini-USB socket without resorting to a hub for example?)

Hm. Now, I've tried a little bit of Midi stuff. Specifically, I wanted to use a editor/librarian for my Kawai K5. So obvious steps:

* Connect USB-MIDI thingie (1-in/1-out) to hub. Activate USB Host. Insert hud. Confirm with dmesg that we actually recognize the USB-MIDI thingie. So far, so good.

* Connect MIDI cables to K5. The K5 obviously does Active Sensing, since the midi activity led starts blinking in the AS timing.

* Start up Hatari. Go into config and enable MIDI emulation.

Now, it gets a bit more difficult: 

What device should I be using? Hatari defaults to /dev/snd/C1somethingMIDI, or something like that. I also have a /dev/midi1 and a /dev/dmmidi (with a slight reservation for my memory here). Which one (or any one) should I use?

I suppose that Hatari runs as a normal user. The devices are rw-rw---- root audio. For testing, I did a chmod 666...or am I already in the audio group? Hm. Must check.

The thing is, of course, that it isn't working. When trying to "get patches" from the K5, I either get "connection error" or a hang. Similarly when I try to send a bank. I do realise that there are a lot of potential sources of error here, including badly written librarian or very picky timing demands from the K5, but still: Have I missed anything obvious?

Next step will be to get the simplest atari MIDI app and just check for midi activity at all :)

The old Atari ST M1 Editor I used to use is helpfully preserved here - and so is the Kawai K5 one, if you don't have it handy:

http://tamw.atari-users.net/cage_art.htm
Yep, that's my dealer, right there :) I did find another K5 editor too, but right now it seems that my problem is that I don't get the MIDI thing going properly. Then again, I figured out that my K5 still has v. 1.0 firmware which apparently is notoriously buggy in its sysex routines. Ah well - more testing later.

There is a slightly newer Hatari source release floating around; not huge differences so I've not bothered to update the package, but if people are interested I can. (just need to forward port a couple changes of mine and hit build, take me an hour probably :p )

jeff

Changelog 1.6.2:

• Some fixes for overscan screen in STF/STE
  • Better IKBD/ACIA compatibility
  • Improved audio filters for YM2149 and DMA sound
  • Several improvements in Falcon mode : DSP, CPU, MMU, FPU, videl borders
  • Various fixes for FDC, SCSI, printer output, ...
  • Fixes to the SDL UI, OSX UI and python UI
  • Improvements to the debugger

Should I try 104? you think that`ll clear the annoying warning message ??
 Weird - I'm using 102, I only usually emulate a 1040st, dual floppies. I've never been bugged by any Hard Drive messages - of three versions bundled in the last Hatari (1.6.1.1), are you perhaps using the one with a Hard Drive add-on accidentally somehow? Or it's a throwback to having run the HD one before?

Maybe backup your TOS, delete the appdata folder and run again, choosing the standard version, see if that clears it up.

Ok.. I'll try some stuff.. I am definitely using the no hdd 1.6 version though

There is a slightly newer Hatari source release floating around; not huge differences so I've not bothered to update the package, but if people are interested I can. (just need to forward port a couple changes of mine and hit build, take me an hour probably :p )

jeff

Changelog 1.6.2:
Some fixes for overscan screen in STF/STE
Better IKBD/ACIA compatibility
Improved audio filters for YM2149 and DMA sound
Several improvements in Falcon mode : DSP, CPU, MMU, FPU, videl borders
Various fixes for FDC, SCSI, printer output, ...
Fixes to the SDL UI, OSX UI and python UI
Improvements to the debugger
I reckon do it :)

I'd have to check, but they likely live in the same appdata .. the config file hasnt' changed structure or key-value meanings in quite some time, so its generalyl safe to run the same directory with different hatari versions, so thats how I probabyl built the pnd. But if you'd gone and set up a bunch of settings and saved a new conf, then switching between no-hd and hdd versions may not do anything.. your changes could well override the defaults I put in for those run-modes.

So clearing appdata (or removing your saved config files therein) may well get rid of any warnings. Or you could fiddle with config settings.

Personally, I'd use the latest hatari and with hdd, in the pnd.. but I provide the options, since your mileage may vary :)

jeff

Can someone please help me get iControlpad working with Hatari and the game Pang. I have it paired with my pandora as HID Joystick. Once I start Hatari, I assign Joystick 0 as icontrolpad. and Joystick 1 as pandora controls (keyboard)
When I start the game Pang, I can control player 1 fine with the pandora d-pad and buttons, but I cannot control player 2 well with the icp, press up on the icp d-pad makes the 2nd player fire but that all it can do all other buttons and d-pad movements don't work.

Back