Pandora Running Atari St Emulator .. Gorgeous!

Thanks for your labor of love skeezix. I can't wait to play through all the games I missed the first time through my childhood.

This looks most excellent, skeezix - many thanks. :) This adds yet more to the list of things I'm looking forward to getting into!

(I never had an Atari ST or an Amiga back then, but I've been buying up some games and other software for both of them, to save for when my Pandora arrives. Does anyone have any suggestions for stuff a platforming nut might like on the ST? :lol: )

Thanks Skeezix!

Finally I will have an emulator platform that is properly suited to emulating the machines I'm interested in and capable enough to do it without breaking a sweat and practical enough that it offers the best possible and most versatile ways of playing the games.

I never really had an ST (I bought one as part of the uber console / computer collection I had a few years back but had to sell it before I got a chance to use really it (I was also a Commodore boy!)). Now I can have one in my pocket! How stupendious is that?

You're all wonderfull, all of you Dev's, the OP team and everyone involved.

Thanks.

Shouldn't Hatari also be capable of doing STE? If so, I am very interested in how Obsession Pinball works. A video would be great, but just trying and describing would be great as well.

Asmo said:
2 player Stuntcar Racer over Null Modem cable. Totally worth hauling your ST and TV round to your mates. Even if theirs was an Amiga.
Yes, it was worth it! I had an Amiga and my friend had an Atari. We played stunt car racer 'till our hands had blisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xenu said:
Yes, it was worth it! I had an Amiga and my friend had an Atari. We played stunt car racer 'till our hands had blisters.

I loved Stunt Car Racer, I was playing on Amiga, but never had a chance to try a two players game.

b_o_b said:
Shouldn't Hatari also be capable of doing STE? If so, I am very interested in how Obsession Pinball works. A video would be great, but just trying and describing would be great as well.

It does have various bits of emulation for STE and Falcon, yupyup. Its really quite an amazing piece of work, and this is a full port, not a trimmed down one; get the latest one from sourceforge and fire it up, thats what you'll have on your pandora :)

jeff

Prometheus said:
(I never had an Atari ST or an Amiga back then, but I've been buying up some games and other software for both of them, to save for when my Pandora arrives. Does anyone have any suggestions for stuff a platforming nut might like on the ST? :lol: )

Hmmm platform games. I don't think they were ever really the Atari or Amiga's strongest point to be honest, save a couple of notable exceptions.

Specifically for the ST is even harder. Well there's Zool, but it was better on the Amiga, and even then it wasn't really that good. I honestly can't think of any others. Perhaps somebody else could help out?

For the Amiga there was Oscar which was also a bit pants. If you like puzzle platformers there's Bubba 'n' Stix which is really very good. For shoot-em-up style platforms there's Turrican 2. The only true out-and-out platformer that I remember being worth playing on the Amiga was Superfrog which was really very good.

Prometheus said:

You should checkout Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Turrican II, Shadow of the Beast, Rick Dangerous, Giana Sisters, and Lode Runner. All great games, imo.
Have fun! :)

Amiga lack of good platform games you say?

Arabian Nights is a good platformer, often overlooked.

Yo!Joe! is also good.

Soccerkid.

Kid Chaos.

SuperFrog.

Shadow of the beast
Leander
Batman...

I could go on and on.

This...

skeezix said:
Hatari also can run hard drive images, so you can mount the SD card as a hard drive, and other awesome stuff. Hell, run the MIDI out a USB MIDI device and use Notator/Cubase :)

...I just hadn't thought of. Goddamn. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I think I'm obliged to have Skeezix babies. Or something.

Finally a quick, easy way to try out all the TAMW stuff. KCS in your pocket... :D :D :D :D

KodeIn said:
Xenu said:

I loved Stunt Car Racer, I was playing on Amiga, but never had a chance to try a two players game.

I played it on the Amigas at the school computer club. The twoplayer version is bloody awesome. That and Gravity Force were the weapons with which the geek ranking was established. *nostalgia*

Hey, a though: Would it be possible to hack a plugin or something to route the virtual serial port over IP? As in: Two-player stunt car racer over the net?

I had the C64 version of Stunt Car Racer and actually it wasn't bad, it was feature complete and the graphics were downgraded a bit. The track had the same color as the ground. Never got to play any dual player action, but I'm hoping there'll be online multiplayer in the future :)

Thanks for sharing; and as if we weren't hungry enough for Pandora already. I'd be happy to buy you a beer, time to donate to the dev fund, so excellent!!

Pleng said:
Hmmm platform games. I don't think they were ever really the Atari or Amiga's strongest point to be honest, save a couple of notable exceptions.

Specifically for the ST is even harder. Well there's Zool, but it was better on the Amiga, and even then it wasn't really that good. I honestly can't think of any others. Perhaps somebody else could help out?

try Switchblade, Prince of Persia or Rick Dangerous they're all really good on the ST

Pleng said:
Prometheus said:

For the Amiga there was Oscar which was also a bit pants. If you like puzzle platformers there's Bubba 'n' Stix which is really very good. For shoot-em-up style platforms there's Turrican 2. The only true out-and-out platformer that I remember being worth playing on the Amiga was Superfrog which was really very good.

http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_category=16

Over 600 Amiga platform games, A lot of them are duplicates (OCS, ECS, AGA, CD32 etc), And a lot of them are probably not very good, But i`d still say that`s quite a selection by any systems standard.

Trooper

Prometheus said:
anyone have any suggestions for stuff a platforming nut might like on the ST? :lol: )

Not because it's the best (by a wide margin) and not because the Amiga version didn't look better (they usually did) but for some reason 'Beyond the Ice Palace' stuck in my mind. The reason probably being the overpowering background Muzak that exemplified the ST 'sound'.

Pleng said:
Prometheus said:

Mad Professor Moriarty, Quick and Silva, HERO (flashback clone) Bomb Jack, Black Lamp (loved that game), Flood, Baby Jo, Dizzy games, Venus the Fly Trap (awesome Shooty platformer), Fire and Ice, James Pond 1 and 2, Leander. The list goes on there were loads.

Best place for Atari St stuff IMO is Little Green Desktop also try Lees Atari Shrine

Back