Pandora Running Atari St Emulator .. Gorgeous!

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I posted a video here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VmRLv9IhyTI

This is not at all optimized, but you can already hear how the sound is clearly superior to what we could get on the gp2x/psp/etc, and runs perfect, no frameskip.

Hatari also can run hard drive images, so you can mount the SD card as a hard drive, and other awesome stuff. Hell, run the MIDI out a USB MIDI device and use Notator/Cubase :)

Heres the desc I put in the video:

Wish youtube jwoudl actually save the damned description I've typed in 5 times..

Pandora is a combination UMPC(netbook) and gaming machine in one, from Open Pandora.

Hatari is a very good open source Atari ST emulator.

Atari ST is a 16/32bit machine, that was the primary competition to the Amiga.

(Atari ST runs Time Bandits, Dungeon Master, Captive, Xenon, Civilization 1, Monkey Island, lots of greats. plus is a full GUI OS with WordPerfect etc, good times!)

Hatari is set to no frameskip, fullscreen, pixel doubling to fill the screen (overscan borders removed), audio on.

This is a fast port with no pandora optimization; not compiled with optimizations (which would speed it up 20%); running regular clock on Pandora (We could overclock another 30%). Using SDL (not as fast as gong raw.) On top of X11 full desktop (we could run without X11 for more speed.)

So as you can see, full speed, no frameskip, and not even optimized.

Right away the SDL lib maps the Atari ST keyboard to the Pandora keyboard, and the joystick to the Pandora d-pad and buttons.

Finally you will have ST, Amiga and others in your pocket!

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now I really gotta show up on your door sometime! :D
What are you doing next week post Family Day?

KEyboard works good; if you're quick you might notice..
1) up front the crack demo is there, and I have to hit 1 to pick Xenon out of the list of 3
2) next it shows the trainer white screen; hit space to go into the game without training

Then its 'fire button' to get into the game proper, which is mapped to to Y by SDL.

Yes, Dungeon Master, Captive, Millenium 2200, Civ 1, Time Bandits, all work.

I was tempted to geek out and show 3d modelling in mono-ST mode in a CAD, but thats gong too far :)

Next up ... *Secrets*

jeff

Must sleep now; worked day and night for a month or two straight, and free time all next week ... oh yeah :) But first, to sleep a few days.

Dungeon Master with touchscreen ftw :)

In my other emus I always built special control modes you may remember -- dungeon mode, for DM and Captive so shoulders would rotate, etc. But here you just tap the damned screen :p

jeff

If you want to film a video with the touch screen being used in a game, but need the Pandora to be in the laptop position so it's easier to film, put something behind it to avoid knocking it over because you can't see the thing properly though the camera when trying to touch the screen. *Months of experience*

And wow, I cannot wait to try this. It's a REAL PORTABLE RETRO COMPUTER. Fuck.

I need a tripod is what I need; holding a cam in left hand while futzing with stylus stinks :)

Did someone port UAE yet?

jeff

Awsome, Will the analog nub be used as a mouse? If so this will really be like a portable ST!

Can't wait to test. This probably means HDD images are supported which will rock.

Any chance after this is done maybe a Handy port with 4X pixel quad?

Great work is such short time :)

Short? I've bene hacking on the mk2 for a year, but the trick was.. with no controls/etc I didn't want to mess with ports/etc too much, since it was annoying as heck :) (well, usb gamepads work, etc.) I have had much more pressing work with libpnd stuff and the daemons, so thats where I focused my time.

But now I've got a real proto pandora, one cannot resist :)

I've got some important fixes to put into the firmware, but one has to do a few things to.. uh, test libpnd right? Right? ;)

jeff

skeezix said:
I need a tripod is what I need; holding a cam in left hand while futzing with stylus stinks :)
No, you just need someone else who happens to live nearby with a steady hand.
*nudge nudge* *wink wink*

*g* This was a very challenign gweek (clocked in way too much OT!)

Next week .. going on vacation on Friday (and babysittingmy little girl, so not as much fre time as I'd like ;)

But Mon-Thursday .. should have some free time. Mostly out in Mississauga, Thursday will be downtown Toronto. I could meet up with people if they want to goof off.

Warning: My PAndora is always in a state of instability and flex -- I screw with the firmware contiuously, so expect crashes when you see me :)

jeff

craigix said:
Very nice :D

Is the keyboard working in the emu? You are really turning me on making things like this.
Well your posting here, did you guys ever get an update on the cases. :D

Great ST emulation by the way. Thanks for the vid skeezix. B)

DaveC said:
Awsome, Will the analog nub be used as a mouse? If so this will really be like a portable ST!

Can't wait to test. This probably means HDD images are supported which will rock.

Any chance after this is done maybe a Handy port with 4X pixel quad?

Great work is such short time :)

Analog doesn'tmap 'magicly' to mouse; I'd have to code that. (not hard)

Touchscreen maps to mouse right off, which is sexy.

Did you notice the audio quality? I figured oyu'd pick that up right away, I was waiting to see what you'd say ;) Course I was rocking back and forth for no good reason so you probably can't hear very well, half the time :p

HDD images work; this is a full Hatari port from current source (1.3.1 I think).

jeff

Back