Harddisk-question

steponeloops

Still Fresh
Seeing that 2 GB is not soooo much if we would like to use the GP2X as a travel movie player, I asked myself if there's a possibility to connect wireless harddisks (via an SDIO adaptor).

The harddisk could remain in the suitcase/pocket etc. - no mess with cables.

I already found out that there are small blue tooth Harddisks, but I doubt they would be useful as Bluetooth provides too less bandwith.

Does anyone know if there are Wlan HDDs - should be small and battery powered?! Could anything like that be done?

Peace
SOL

There are USB harddrives like the one you've described which I assume would be a hell of a lot cheaper and faster when reading and writing data. The only thing is no one knows if they will actually work with the GP2X. Wait a week or two until everyone has their consoles and then we'll start to find out what works and what doesn't.

If you reencode your video files (resolution etc), you'll be able to fit 10+ good quality movies on a 2gb card.

Get two cards and you'll be all set.

Problem is that there aren't any sdio-drivers for Linux yet...

If you reencode your video files (resolution etc), you'll be able to fit 10+ good quality movies on a 2gb card.

Get two cards and you'll be all set.

In what kind of quality is that?
Like 300kbit/s for video and Audio?
Do you have an example of such clip?

...And it's not my intention of acting like a dick, I have tried to get good quality and low bitrate when encoding, I'm really interested in seing it work. Maybe h.264?

Last edited by a moderator:
For really high quality (at 320 x 240), you should get something like 1 minute for every 5 MB. Your average movie is 125 minutes long. If you sacrifice a very small amount of quality you can probably fit in about 8 movies between 2 2 GB cards... I think.

For really high quality (at 320 x 240), you should get something like 1 minute for every 5 MB. Your average movie is 125 minutes long. If you sacrifice a very small amount of quality you can probably fit in about 8 movies between 2 2 GB cards... I think.

2h 5min for a average movie? :p
But yeah i get your point...and thats 4 movies per card, opposed to declarations 10+ movies

Well, one can fit a movie on 128MB SMC... :p

1MB/min, 2000 (about) mins... 33 hours

My music are about 1mb/min, does that really suffice for movies?

While on the subject, does anybody know if Gp2x is capable of h.264 encoded movies, i noticed better quality on lower bitrate movies when encoding with x264.

I usally say a movie is about 500mb.

I would really enjoy h.264 though, I could probally get the movies down to 400mb and they would still look better.

yeah, many of us have been watching movies happily on our GP32s with a 128mb SMC. The resolution is the same, so that gives an extra 72mb worth of improvements to 200mb.

Its a lot of work reencoding everything to a good quality but its definitely worth it if you intend on taking it on holiday etc.

While converting the movies is cake, doesn't it take upwards of five hour for each one unless you happen to work in the movie business?

While converting the movies is cake, doesn't it take upwards of five hour for each one unless you happen to work in the movie business?
Takes about as long as the actual movie is. Personally the only quality loss I can cope with is a lower resolution.

Well, Depending on the version of the divx and xvid codecs supported in mplayer on the GP2x. You could use "pocket divx encoder", Which is incredibly fast at re/encoding videos, ~1/3 -1/4 of the films duration.

Trooper

I don't know what computers you have, but my 3 year old comp takes about 10-12 minutes for each hour film. Using Vdub and the realmagic xvid codec.

As I see it, if you want excellent quallity, 250meg wil suffice.

Back