Harddisk-question

To get back to the original topic of this thread. I know there are battery powered USB HDDs out there but you would need a USB SDIO card for that as well as drivers. I've not seen any battery powered WiFi HDDs. Thing is that there are very few battery powered HDDs out there, most run on the power from the host's USB or requires to be plugged in to an external power source. And again you would need a WiFi SDIO card and drivers.

I guess I don't understand the whole hard-drive thing. It just seems so dumb to me. I can understand apple making a splash with 5GB when removable storage was so small, but thats not true anymore with 1GB and 2GB SD being so cheap, and 4Gb and 8Gb SD becoming a reality, and you can use it in a multiude of devices, low power, fast, no moving parts, and furtureproofed

Even ipod nano(a really tasty device by-the-way) has gone solid state, but 2/4GB for that sort of money, in 6 months time(or less) you can buy 2GB/8GB SD for a fraction of the cost of a nano, and use them on your next device too.

I can understand why someone would want more internal nand 128mb instead of 64mb. The 20mb free with just the base applications should have taught people that, but a small hard drive IMO is the wrong technology.

Thats without SDIO becoming a reailty in linux, and if you really really need more storage you can just buy another card :)

Compared to a 4GB SD card a 80GB is probably in the same price range or cheaper (don't know) and it got 20 times more storage. This means that you can bring a huge amout of movies and songs so you can select what you want. The biggest reason for me to get a HDD is so I can play Anime on it, mostly for others. Most of the time a regular powered HDD would suit me, just need to be able to read from it. A 200 GB HDD + a USB rack is cheaper then a 4 GB SD card and I'm planning to buy one later anyway. Even 4 GB isn't much when talking anime, some series takes up multiple DVDs (in DivX) and I got around 250 of them. Another neat thing with USB host is to access USB DVD readers/burners.

Back