GTA15/PyraPhone

CardDAV is the WebDAV plugin to handle vCards from my understanding. If you can sync to google or owncloud, then you're on carddav. Who knows, at some point i might support CalDAV and get my calendar app going...

I've got nothing working, so things kind of went on hold as other things popped up in my life. I'm hoping when i have something i know will do what i want, i can spend the time working out how to use it, rather than messing around with a device that I'm not actually sure will do what i need it to do anyway.

I still use sms frequently, but I'll use WhatsApp over mms.

I wouldn't hold your breath for something from me. I've been failing to complete a lot of my projects for years. In fact, i think Super JumpKick Turbo was the last thing i actually released, and that was some time ago. I have a lot of intentions, but also lots of interruptions, and i generally hate a lot of stuff i make.

I was hoping to work on some dialer and contact db software, but i can't work out how to enable the voice part of the 4g modern i bought (assuming it has one), so I'll wait until I've got the pyra now. I suppose i could still implement around the actual phone functions for now (maybe just start with contacts with CardDAV support)

Which modem is it and how did u try?

Which modem is it and how did u try?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32923...s-Router&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4d1a4c4dcf3vya

It does some thing where it registers as a mass storage for the drivers, or as the modem, and i tried following some instructions for flicking between the two modes, but the tute i was following mentioned a new usb device popping up in /dev, but i couldn't find it iirc (it was a while ago now).
Depending on what happens between now and the pyra release, i might try and dig it out again. I'm not really familiar with the inner gubbins of Linux, so stuff like this goes over my head a bit

Back on topic to the gta15 - Pyraphone?

I'm very curious how the gta15 is going to handle the apparent Linux software hole for dialing software and contacts database and the like - i.e. the phone calling/receiving/database side of things. @hns - do you already have Linux friendly applications in mind for doing these functions?
Besides Android/Replicant there are several such software stacks available. Many originated in OpenMoko projects and have been running on the GTA04. For example:

http://www.qtmoko.net/ - http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/screenshots/
https://github.com/akemnade/simple-gsmgui
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=fso-gsmd-gta04
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/

Well, it will be some work to get them up and running again and adjust to new hardware, but nobody has to start from the scratch.

And you are right, there is unfortunately no standard stack that is widely adoped. Maybe because lack of wide spread hardware. And even more because of lack of experienced volunteer developers.
Most have been very active between 2008 and 2016 but then gave up because it was no longer challenging enough to maintain mature software and many had finished their bachelor/master studies and did get challenging day jobs...

BTW: we have recently been able to install Debian Buster with the Librem 5 Phosh stack on GTA04. And Pyra. Not yet in a useable configuration, but another option for a PyraPhone.

Late last year I bought a relatively cheap Nokia (read HMD) 8110 4G (the bananaphone - but in black) which runs KaiOS which is a fork of Firefox OS which was at one point at least open source.

Are you happy with KaiOS ?
Never used it, but seems like it is installed in the 99% of the "Feature Phones" around.

Were you able to uninstall (or at least disable) the not useful preinstalled stuff ?

Yes, I'm still using it. I only really use it as a phone and as a music/podcast player. As a podcast player it's perfectly usable, but occasionally has experienced some bugs. Firstly, and primarily, the headphone detection is a bit iffy on my unit at least, so I often have to plug and unplug my headphones before it recognised them properly, so nowadays I tend to leave my headphones permanently plugged in. It also occasionally (maybe with a interval of a couple of weeks) where you restart the playback of a podcast, and it starts playing but the playback icon doesn't appear in the header, and from there on in you can't pause it. I generally restart the player after it does that, so I don't know if that odd behaviour persists or not. A less important issue is that often if you pause a podcast and then wait a couple of hours and restart it, you might end up listening to the previous 10 or 20 seconds of the podcast when you restart it; I assume it goes into some standby mode which loses the exact sample point.

As a phone it's fine. My unit only has a TRS jack, so if you're using wired headphones with a microphone the microphone part won't work, but I think if you hold the phone up to your face you can still use it with those headphones. But if you use bluetooth headphones, the microphone part works fine. I guess other phones might have TRRS jacks which I assume would fix this issue. The keypad on mine has turned out to be a little sloppy. It's passable for texting (I use the old T9 method where you press buttons multiple times to get the different letters on each key), but on occasion when I've used telephone banking services I've discovered the some keys aren't debounced properly, so you often get double numbers, which can be frustrating when you're trying to key in your account number.

In terms of the preinstalled stuff, I've just moved it to the bottom of my apps menu. It'll still kick off google assistant if I hold down the main key for a second or two from the main screen (labelled in the manual as the torch mode, but torch is now actually on the up d-pad). I generally run the phone with phone data disabled and wifi off.

Last edited:
I am thinking to get nokia 2720 flip or nokia 800 tough ( not decided yet).
My objective is to have google free linux phone, which can be done with android but it still feels bloated, and experience is not very good without keyboard and non-removable battery. However I don't have any kaios experience. Some things troubling me is,
1. Removing bloat ( i guess it is possible using hacks from bananahackers)
2. Linux features, like terminal, ssh, ftp etc. ( I am not sure about this) AFAIK nokia kaios phones comes with busybox but there is no terminal. I couldn't find anything related to ssh.
3. Can you use telegram ? AFAIK there is no app, but is it usable from browser?
4. Is wifi hotspot usable ?
5. I am confused between durability of 2720 flip vs non-replaceable battery of nokia 800, which will last longer for me?

1. It's probably doable by hacking, but so far I've just avoid clicking the d-pad in the home screen (which launches google assistant) or navigating all the way down to where I've hidden the google apps on my phone.
2. Similar answer to above. At the factory settings, it has no access to any kind of terminal, but you can probably hack one in.
3. Dunno really, Soz.
4. Yes, I've used it in the past to download OS updates, and I did try out some simple text apps I think, but I've not tried anything with masses of javascript in it.
5. I'm still rocking my original battery and still getting 9-10 days out of a charge on my 4110 4G (I don't use it for mobile data at all, I just use it for phone calls and texts and playing podcasts I've downloaded on other computers). I think the 2720 flip uses the same battery, and I've no idea what's inside a 800 tough.

I am thinking to get nokia 2720 flip or nokia 800 tough ( not decided yet).
My objective is to have google free linux phone, which can be done with android but it still feels bloated, and experience is not very good without keyboard and non-removable battery. However I don't have any kaios experience. Some things troubling me is,
1. Removing bloat ( i guess it is possible using hacks from bananahackers)
2. Linux features, like terminal, ssh, ftp etc. ( I am not sure about this) AFAIK nokia kaios phones comes with busybox but there is no terminal. I couldn't find anything related to ssh.
3. Can you use telegram ? AFAIK there is no app, but is it usable from browser?
4. Is wifi hotspot usable ?
5. I am confused between durability of 2720 flip vs non-replaceable battery of nokia 800, which will last longer for me?
For 3, there is a Telegram program that is open source for desktop Linux with X11. That could be used, if KaiOS supports X11.

Nokia 800 tough is becoming more and more likable...

More questions about KaiOS and data connections... and PC connections...:

1) Do KaiOS downloads stuff with data connection like updating itself or the other apps ?

2) On the average phone with KaiOS are also available offline updates ? Like some PC program that you can use to update the phone ?

3) Is there any option to turn off data connection or disable updates ? (if someone has a contract with costs for downloaded data)

4) How can you backup stuff ? Is there an internal app that copies stuff on the SD ? (In some proprietary format ?) Or there is some PC program who can interact with the phone data and save it ? (In some proprietary format ?)

Thanks

1) No, although if you init a download while it's not on wifi and you have data enabled it'll use that.
2) Not as stock, but I'd expect that to be different if you hacked it.
3) It only updates when you ask it to, and data can be turned off. I've not found mine to be sneaky the way Android is, off means off.
4) You can gio mount the device under linux if it's connected via USB, and on windows I'd expect it to just appear. There you can see all photos and videos taken, and anything you've downloaded and anything you've transferred over to it. I don't think you can backup the OS from there, but I've not digged around mine too much yet.

4) You can gio mount the device under linux if it's connected via USB, and on windows I'd expect it to just appear. There you can see all photos and videos taken, and anything you've downloaded and anything you've transferred over to it. I don't think you can backup the OS from there, but I've not digged around mine too much yet.

What about address book and SMS or maybe Calendar ? Can you see them directly ? Or you must save them first on SD ? (If you can)

For the address book, I seem to be able to share contacts over bluetooth, text or email. I can't find anything from the apps apart from pictures and videos, and messages I've previously sent over bluetooth to this phone. SMSs I can't see a way to share those on the phone, and I also can't see them over gio mount. Calender can apparently be synced with some kind of internet account, but I've not got one of those set up so can't test, and as before can't be see under gio mount. The only thing apart from user data seems to be wifi logs from the few times I've had this phone on wifi.

Last edited:
Back