Derailing telephony thread ...

kabaiakh

Very Active Member
In Two Months, Pyras enter /massproduktion/.
Two Months later, every preorder is delivered.
Two Months later, first version of a Pyraphone software is being tested.
Two Months later, OTFE reaches stable status on the Pyraphone.

Two Months later ...
Weekly stats show a massive increase in orders.
A few pals are hired to fulfill all those orders.
Everyone turn crazy about this huge success.
10000 orders milestone is looming.

Two Months later ...
The DragonBox shop goes offline without warning nor explaination.
@Evildragon gives no sign of life.
Last orderers begin to complain.
Early orderers begin to worry.
Investigations are made.

Two Months later ...
Someone from the community thinks he recognized @Evildragon, seeing someone with the same glasses walking a dog like his.
But this 'somemeone' had very short hair, so he was not sure and he couldn't take picture since he didn't have the camera mod.

Two Months later ...
Rumors start to spread.
@Evildragon is said to be now under some kind of WITSEC.
Most of the orders seemed to come from organised crime, terrorists and corrupted politicians (sorry for the pleonasm).
All of them, in need for a secure platform to communicate, turned to Pyra.
In a BBC interview, the-one-who-must-not-be-named states: "I knew something was wrong long ago, I'm done with this project".

Two Months later ...
Every Pyra owner is now seen as potential threat.
Some, trying to sell theirs on eBay, have been traced, arrested and imprisonned.
Now some remaining owners want to get rid of theirs.
The few members of the community still actives report strange behaviours on the forums (now on TOR to avoid beeing traced).
Some Pyras had powered on automagically before bricking itselves.
First analysis tend to point out some kind of remote attacks.

Two Months later ...
The Trump government has officially passed the Computer Trust Act; making legal *only* hardware and software from well known compagnies.
Soon followed by other countries, the hunt for open hardware and free software is opened.
Librists from all over the world are now coerced into turning to proprietary platforms or enter underground resistance.

Two Months later ...
The first clones of the Pyra surface on the black market.
It is the last device one can still build by oneself.
The only trustworthy platform.
Spare parts are hard to find and 3D printers are now only available as a service from the largest brands; reporting to the authorities of course.
So it's very tricky.

Two Months later ...
In an attempt to keep everything under control, youtubers broadcasting DIY Pyra videos are offered a position "with a solid contract".
But scientists and journalist across the planet are said to use second hand or hand made Pyras.
No one tells about it, but many know someone or know someone who knows someone who is said to be able to provide one.

Two Months later ...
Fed up with those stupid earthers they have monitored for the past few years, aliens decide to make first contact.
Under the authority of the galactic union, they are authorised to give asylum to any representative of the human species asking for it.
Soon, queues way longer than the ones for the last iDiots device spawn from aliens embassies.
Artists, thinkers, makers, you name them; as well as ordinary people, givng up everything they have, patiently waiting to be flown away to the skies in a wish for a different life, in a wish for a better life ...

Two Months later ...
Blaming one another for the massive bleeding of citizens from the planet, countries start to declare wars across the world.

Two Months later ...
No one will ever know who shot first but a nuclear winter is coming on a shining planet known as Earth. Nature will start over. With the bees, probably.
Somewhere near Saturn, wrapped in 2,500,000 tons of spinning metal, a PyraOS is quietly booting ...

Nicely done. The most implausible part is stage 3 where ED mysteriously walks away. It needs something before that as a pivotal point breaking his commitment to the project and community. I.e. some usage case scenario where Pyra users and community have broken some form of protocol that ED would consider sacrosanct, though I'm not sure what that would be. The community would have to be doing something truly nefarious with the hardware so bad it would make a German blush. Speculation on what that could be would very well break any decency standards though, so maybe the story is best left without knowing what that breaking factor was.

Two Months later ...
Blaming one another for the massive bleeding of citizens from the planet, countries start to declare wars across the world.
Countries that blame others for citizen bleeding will just erect walls (btw: two months after denying to plan that) while claiming to protect their people from harmful external influence.

The most implausible part is stage 3 where ED mysteriously walks away.
I think the most implausible part is the WITSEC section. If there was one thing to take away from the cases of Snowden and Manning, then it is, that human rights will always be subordinate to political interests.

I wonder if ED can monetize his cut hair. I mean... he sold broken, but signed motherboards.... so why not a bit of hair? Do something Jobs could not...

So, once we get our first generation Pyra's we will have to test:

* LIDS (Linux Intrusion Detection System)
* NUBS (Network Unsigned Bit Stream)
* BLOB (Belated Linux Obfuscated Binary) - sadly the Phone will not work without a blob
* PDA (Plausible Deniability Assesment) - There were some filesystems that could do this
* STYLUS (Systematic Tilted Yearlong Linux User Settings) - I think this is fixed by the now disabled rotochip.
* OOMPF (Overly Obsessive Modified Pyra Frequency) - also known as overclocking
* SOS (Storage On Silicone) - how was that internal soft and squishy memory called again?

Interesting will be sound acoustic tests done on the keymat: are we able to detect keystrokes depending on sound?
And in @kabaiakh scenario: will we ever be able to cross the street with such a device? Probably using a smartphone tethering to the Pyra in the backpack...

The most implausible part is stage 3 where ED mysteriously walks away.

I think the most implausible part is the WITSEC section.

And no one worries about aliens coming to save the world.
You are wonderful !

If there was one thing to take away from the cases of Snowden and Manning, then it is, that human rights will always be subordinate to political interests.

Sad but true.

Probably using a smartphone tethering to the Pyra in the backpack...

I do like the idea. ;=)

And no one worries about aliens coming to save the world.
As a Christian, God and all the Angels were there before the Earth, so by definition... they are extra terrestrials... so Demons are too... and they are coming...

... and the sheeple will say: Shave us, shave us! Because, their wool, and global warming, made them hot.

In numerology, "Dragonbox Pyra" is 7, which traits, coincidentally align well.... (note to Christans: dont put your faith on it, read it up in the book)

Pandora: 33 (ooh...)

Last edited:
As a Christian, God and all the Angels were there before the Earth, so by definition... they are extra terrestrials... so Demons are too... and they are coming...

... and the sheeple will say: Shave us, shave us! Because, their wool, and global warming, made them hot.

That is the general basis for Childhoods End by A.C. Clarke if anyone is interested. Good book.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood's_End

Though my favorite of his is Imperial Earth. In this 1976 book he details a device...
"Clarke describes in great detail throughout the book a personal communications device called a 'minisec' combining mobile video phone and PDA with global data connectivity."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Earth

Back