Gridwars2x

atomicthumbs said:
Yaaaay!

Since the warping grid effect is (I assume) too resource-intensive to have on the gp2x, maybe you should have black holes (and maybe shots, to a lesser extent) give out particles or something.
My priority is to get the game playing as closely as possible to the original. I'll think about adding extra stuff after that. Particles is on my wish list :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great....but isnt everything a little to big? There is no space to move around in.

BadWolf said:
It looks great....but isnt everything a little to big? There is no space to move around in.
The sprites are between 24*24 and 34*34 pixels in size. The view size is obviously 320*240, but the level size is 640*480 (the game scrolls - as you will see if you watch the "bomb" video). It would be trivial to increase the total size of the level if this becomes necessary.

I'm a bit bored of coding at the moment, so in order to avoid losing motivation I'm taking a break from coding and doing some of the fun stuff :)

Working on sound now. For now I'm using the sounds from Mark Incitti's Gridwars, but I don't know if I'm allowed to use them, so I might have to replace them at a later date. I'm getting a delay between the Mix_PlayChannel() command and the sound actually being played. Anyone have any ideas?

Once I've got the sound sorted I'm going to start composing some music for the game.

motorollin said:
Working on sound now. For now I'm using the sounds from Mark Incitti's Gridwars, but I don't know if I'm allowed to use them, so I might have to replace them at a later date. I'm getting a delay between the Mix_PlayChannel() command and the sound actually being played. Anyone have any ideas?

Once I've got the sound sorted I'm going to start composing some music for the game.
I assume you have chunksize set to high (2048-ish):

int Mix_OpenAudio(int frequency, Uint16 format, int channels, int chunksize)

Lower chunksize to 512; good trade-off between sufficiently long buffer and quick sound response. To short and you'll hear fragments, too long and you get the sound delays. At least, that's what worked for me :)

It was set to 4096 (from the Lazy Foo example). Changed to 512 and the sound is spot on now - thanks :D

Now that sound is working GW2X is starting to feel like a real game :) I know there's still a long way to go, but I couldn't resist uploading a small gameplay video. Sorry about the camera reflection. Also the green square bullet-avoidance code is still a bit sloppy so I've turned them off in this demo.

23MB Quicktime video here.

I have composed a nice loop for the game over music. I still need to write the title and in-game music. Just as a test I made a 20 second loop of Smack My Bitch Up and set it as the in-game music B)

Hello,

I've tried to email you the new sample loop I made to you yesterday, but it seems like your email inbox is full on the mailserver or something. I am only getting my emails in return with a error message.

Anyhow, I did make the loop, and I hope you will enjoy it. If you need soundeffects to the game, then I can easily produce that for you too. I'm just glad to be helping out. :)

Please state music credit to: Magnar Harestad.

The mp3 file in 320kbps is available on: http://www.harestad.info/music/hero.mp3
The Wavefile is in 96kHz 24 bit format: http://www.harestad.info/music/hero.wav

The MP3 file doesn't loop, since the MP3 format adds a small silence part in the end of the file after save. But the WAV file do have a perfect loop, so just download that one for your game. If you want me to process the file to another setting (to save space on filelength), please tell and I'll make a new version of the wave file.

Cheers Magnar

Wow, thanks Magnar! I have downloaded the WAV version since I need to convert it to OGG format anyway. You can remove the files from your web server now. Thanks so much for doing this for me. I will be sure to credit you in the game!

PokeParadox said:
That music is pretty damn sweet!

If you have any more that you want used in a game, please upload it to Project Infinity! ^_^
If you have any project that needs music, just contact me on magnar@harestad.info

I'm free of charge as long as the project leads to a certain release, and I am given credit for composing the music to the production. I'm easy. :)

Well after a major headache I have finally got MOD music playing in my game. It turns out that the GP2X Dev-C++ SDK doesn't seem to support MOD files via SDL_Mixer, and neither does Open2x. Also it seemed impossible to link LibMikMod in Dev-C++. Eventually I tried it in Code::Blocks and it worked.

Thread here detailing the issues.

Here's updated gameplay video to show my progress. This one shows all of the enemies which are done, includes sounds and music, and shows the game over screen.

Link

Ok as requested here is a *very* early playable demo. Don't get too excited. It's very much WIP, but it does resemble an actual game :)

Link

Please post feedback, suggestions etc in this thread, and bear in mind the To-Do list on the first page of the thread before making suggestions ;)

There was an error in the archive I uploaded. The game did not play the game over music. I have corrected this and re-uploaded the file. If you want the corrected version just re-download from the link in my previous post and replace the gpe.

motorollin said:
There was an error in the archive I uploaded. The game did not play the game over music. I have corrected this and re-uploaded the file. If you want the corrected version just re-download from the link in my previous post and replace the gpe.
Cool - I'll give this a go...

Back