Vektar Review

TelcoLou posted on Aug 22 2006 at 11:34 PM said:
Next, after booting up with the game inserted, I saw my ugly GP2X menu ... (double checking the card supplied with the package, I see the words "Plug & Play"). It is not plug and play, it's plug and navigate to the Games menu, then SD card, then Vektar. I can't seem to make a proper autorun.gpu for the game either ...

Using Ryo's excellent gmenu2x 0.4, I made a specific menu on my commercial vektar card, adding all the demo and freeware versions also to the SD card as I think they are all different enough to be fun separately. Played with the colours and transparency a bit in gmenu and added one of the screenshots from the coding competition. It also has an autorun to get it started.
Well, I think it looks pretty cool anyway...

Hope this link works, not used fgrabber or imageshack before:
fbdumpam9.png

If anyone's interested, I guess I could explain it a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
halo9 posted on Aug 31 2006 at 12:14 PM said:
Using Ryo's excellent gmenu2x 0.4, I made a specific menu on my commercial vektar card,
Nifty!

Wouldn't a real package be more satisfactory for a $40 game? I mean, it looks like a generic SD cad in its normal protective case when you buy it, shoved in the package for a TV-Out cable with a new card. It's not even secured, it's just bouncing around in there. I'd much rather download a game than get it in a package I'd want to throw away because it has no display value. And is it just stapled shut?..

Also, if Halo9 (above) was able to fit 3 free versions and a commercial demo on there with it, I would imagine you could cut the price down by using a lower capacity card. 96MB cards do exist.

Epicenter posted on Sep 1 2006 at 11:38 AM said:
96MB cards do exist.
They do?? I would imagine a 96mb card would cost considerably more than a 128mb card though...

Also, I figure that extra space is good for buyers that want to add their own music. I mean, that is what they do.

iignotus posted on Sep 1 2006 at 12:24 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Sep 1 2006 at 11:38 AM said:
96MB cards do exist.
They do?? I would imagine a 96mb card would cost considerably more than a 128mb card though...

Also, I figure that extra space is good for buyers that want to add their own music. I mean, that is what they do.

Yep ... at ~4MB per song, times 10 ...

Jesus, don't use such a high bitrate. That'll reduce performance anyway due to the slow SD card access (DMA is broken, the CPU must handle data transfer between RAM and SD media.) I can fit a 6 minute song in about 2 MB at a lower Vorbis bitrate.. Mp3 I can't say the same about.

Wouldn't a real package be more satisfactory for a $40 game?

GBAx have a set profit they need to make on each Vektar sale, and the current price is based on the current packaging costs. Therefore, any extra cost in increasing the packaging quality would be passed directly onto the price of the game.

You'd then be wanting packaging befit of a $50 game ;)

The point is, this isn't the 'boxed' release with a manual, similar to a Japanese Famicom box Craig described. It's nothing even REMOTELY like it. It's a store-bought card thrown in a TV-out cable package and stapled shut, with some new graphics on the cardboard. There isn't even a reason to release it on a card like this if it can't be at all presentable. It should be sold online for a logical price like $20-$30.

And even with the sorry state it's in, you're waiting quite a while to get a copy, apparently.

Vektar is not a lame game, but its not my kind of game , im looking foward to payback. I just hope payback you can play your music in the NAND area.....

I hate to gravedig in a sense something that was talked about earlier in this topic, but I noticed that everyone who gave their wages/salaries expressed in in #/UK. Wich led me to wonder if DZZ is American. Reason I ask, is that I am american and know that here asking someones wages is in a clasical sense considered Taboo. I myself dont subscribe to this (or any other really). Just wondered if this was the case. Also to prove this

When I was employed at Gamestop in Phoenix,AZ,USA I pulled in $5.15 an hour or roughly #2.80 (sorry dont have the Quid on my keyboard)

Lupin posted on Sep 27 2006 at 03:06 PM said:
I hate to gravedig in a sense something that was talked about earlier in this topic, but I noticed that everyone who gave their wages/salaries expressed in in #/UK. Wich led me to wonder if DZZ is American. Reason I ask, is that I am american and know that here asking someones wages is in a clasical sense considered Taboo. I myself dont subscribe to this (or any other really). Just wondered if this was the case. Also to prove this

When I was employed at Gamestop in Phoenix,AZ,USA I pulled in $5.15 an hour or roughly #2.80 (sorry dont have the Quid on my keyboard)
Here it is, copy and paste it: £
:lol:

hehe I know on my MAC I have I cant hit Shift and whatever ALT is on the MAC Keyboard (I have a Mini and just use a PC keyboard) option I think right?

My only complaint about the game is the fact you cannot redefine the keys. I would have preferred to be able to use the right shoulder button for the shield. Presently you have to take your finger off the fire button to use the shield.

Apart from the above, the game is brilliant. I have almost completed it too :)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:12 PM said:
My only complaint about the game is the fact you cannot redefine the keys. I would have preferred to be able to use the right shoulder button for the shield. Presently you have to take your finger off the fire button to use the shield.

I find it's a bit easier to use the shield if you use R for fire.

subcon959 posted on Oct 22 2006 at 10:57 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:12 PM said:

I find it's a bit easier to use the shield if you use R for fire.
I tried that but I it didn't feel right, I kept pressing shield when I wanted to fire etc :(

Love the demo version of Vektar. Will definitely be buying the commercial version when I'm done with the demo. Quick question for you guys, though: I upgraded to firmware 2.1.1 and now the intro music to the demo is ABSOLUTELY DEAFENING - almost blows my eardrums out if I forget to take the headphones out when starting the game :) I can turn the volume down once the game starts, but the volume steps seem very widely spaced (i.e. LOUD -> normal -> nothing) Anyone else seen this? Any workarounds? And, yes, I do have the Volume Limiter setting on.

Edit: one way to protect my eardrums was to load title.ogg and level1.ogg into Audacity and make them a lot quieter!

It seems to me like Vektar appears to be turning the volume right up - I can hear a strong background hiss even after quitting the game, which is only reset when starting, say, the movie player, or the music player.

Yeah, Vektar does create some weird sounds sometimes... don't know how to solve it, although it doesn't seem to appear when I plug in the head-phone...

BTW: Here is my highscore on the demo 64,600. I played the full version (not the commercial) but that is just way to easy. 40 ups remaining after playing for about 1 hour...

It would be great if you can change the music of the game and if there was this kinda survival mode... the demo is bit too easy when you play the game a couple of times.

Back