Rolling Thunder

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Title.gif

Rolling Thunder Review​
Rolling Thunder is one of those games that you can simply never forget. It first appeared in the arcades around 1987, and became an instant hit with all who played it.

So what’s it all about? Read on and find out (Wow, I’m a poet :blink: )….

Our Hero
Albatross.gif

You play a dashing secret agent called “Agent Albatross”, he was rather like James Bond, but without the witty comments. Agent Albatross is part of the Rolling Thunder Team, I think they must have thought it a good name at the time, but it still makes me giggle a bit :lol: .

The Mission
Maboo.gif

You must rescue the beautiful agent Lelia Blitz from the dastardly clutches of Maboo the leader of the evil organisation Geldra. And if you can say that after a few double vodkas, I will be suitably impressed. The plot is simple, and who cares with a game like this.

The Villains
Nasty1.gif
Nasty2.gif
Nasty3.gif
Nasty4.gif

Various nasties lurk waiting for you, all cloaked and hooded, how did they see where they were shooting? As you progress, they get nastier, and faster. The weapons they use will be deadlier too, in the beginning, they just try and punch you. Then very soon they try to shoot you. Next, they throw bombs at you, how very unsportsmanlike like. I think you get the idea :ph34r: …

Weapons
Ammo.gif

You start with a little hand gun, with limited bullets. Along the way you will come across doors with ammo signs, these contain, wait for it… Ammo! Plus some weapon upgrades such as a machine gun etc. If you see these doors my advice is to pop in, but make sure no enemy agents are lurking as they will hang around outside. A couple of touches from them and you could be very late, and I mean late as in the late Agent Albatross ARGHHH :unsure: .

Game Play
Well, it’s a side scrolling platformer. You can jump up to higher platforms, but so can the enemies. For those who remember Shinobi, then the game play is very similar. The difficulty level is progressively steady. Later levels get very difficult. All that said though, it’s a lot of fun and you keep coming back for more.

Graphics
Very clear, and kinda greeny blue. The backdrops aren't exactly detailed, but the sprite animation is kewl, especially the way our hero dies in slow motion. See below for screenshots:
RT1.jpg
RT3.jpg

Sound
The music is pleasing and up tempo, keeping you reminded that you shouldn’t dawdle for a G&T.
The Sound effects are nice enough, nothing more to say about them, they fit the bill.

GP32
This was surprising, the version I prefer is on the NES Emulator “Little John”. It’s very close to the arcade game in game play, graphics and audio. Running at 100% it has all the feel of the arcade. The music is a little different but definitely keeps the mood of the original. You can easily forget you aren’t in the arcade. Except for the fact that you’re on the bus, and it doesn’t cost you 10p a game. Mind you, you could make a little box with a 10p slot in it, just for authenticity (I bet I won’t hear the last of that comment :unsure: ).

Summary
A very nice side scroller, similar to Shinobi, very addictive. Excelent on Little John.
I have to give it a good score…

Score
10/10 :)

that green looking guy next to "the mission" is the beautiful Lelia?? :blink:

extremegamer posted on Sep 29 2004 at 09:54 PM said:
that green looking guy nest to "the mission" is the beautiful Lelia??  :blink:

:lol: Noo that's the Evil Maboo. Actually I think I should have included a picture of Lelia.

Clare

P.S. Have edited the picture to include Lelia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hia,

Thanks for the encouragement, this is only my 2nd review ever. I have another review in the pipeline so keep the ole' eyes peeled for that one.

If you have any games that you would like me to review with an open brain, then let me know. I will need to know the following...
1. The game name (obviously :blink: )
2. The system you first played it on, as this is usually the one you have fonder memories of. Don't worry about the games history, I will research all that for you. Mind you, if you have any interesting facts or observations, let me know!
3. GP32 Version gp32_console .

This howerver doesn't have to be an old game, it could be something native to the GP32. or even one of the GP32 remakes that's not on an emulator! But it has to be something that you play on the Gamepark.

Thanks again, :wub: ,
Clare.

nigelibrown posted on Sep 30 2004 at 07:45 AM said:
An excelent review, thouroghly enjoyable read. Ever thought about reviewing hardware? :rolleyes: Keep it up.

Toyz 4 Boyz (and Girlz)

Well I would love to review hardware, anyone going to send me something to review ? :lol:

Clare.

FX23 posted on Sep 30 2004 at 08:18 AM said:
i love rolling thunder, is it available for the gp32 yet?

Yes, but not as a native application. You can play it using the NES emulator (Little John) or the Atari ST Emulator (Castaway)...

Clare.

Hi Warm. I'm always looking for help with reviews of GP32 home brewn games to put on my website..www.gp32exg.com If you want to submit reviews, you can email them to Grobycx@yahoo.com. I will put them up on my site and will make sure you get the credit for writing the review.

I also extend this invitation to anyone in the community that would like to submit a review to my site.

Thanks -EXG

Back