Greatest platformer of all time

I'm looking for new platformers to play and having just completed Wonder Boy 3: The dragons trap I can't help think that was the greatest one ever to exist. 

So please post your favourite platformers so I can hopefully come across a gem. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you play Wonder Boy IV in Monster World ??...it's very good.

Some old skool plat gems IMHO...

Shante..GBC

Wendy : Every Which Way..GBC

Trip World..GB

Avenging Spirit..GB

Kid Dracula ...GB

Kid Icarus..NES

COOL SPOT..Sega Mega Drive...love it.

Yes I am quite partial to old skool plats on the GB's :)

Did you play the pnd Frogatto ???...really well done.

Last edited:
Have you tried Bonk's Adventure for the TurboGrafx-16?

It's a fun quirky platformer..

Impossible Mission - C64/MasterSystem

PsychoFox - MasterSystem

Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure - MegaDrive

Bubble Bobble - Arcade

Rainbow Islands - Arcade

TumblePop - Arcade

Don Doko Don - PC Engine

ActRaiser (SNES), is kinda a platformer/godsim crossover. Probably the first of its kind on a console and its absolutely awesome to play.

Metroid Fusion (GBA), if you're looking for something labyrinthine.

Kenseiden (Sega MasterSystem),  is astounding for an 8-bit cartridge and also rock-hard in terms of difficulty curve.

Popful Mail (Sega CD), has nice RPG-type elements.

Blackthorne (SNES)Prince of Persia with a shotgun.

Metal Warriors (SNES), really cool mecha themed platformer.

Rocket-Knight Adventures (Sega Megadrive), you play as an opossum with a jet-pack and an energy blade - need i say more!

Captain Comic (NES/MSDOS)Really unforgiving platforming exploration game, cleaner graphics on the NES but i prefer the chunkier DOS sprites. 

Rodland on amiga and other systems i guess. its on arcade too i think. very similar to bubble bobble.

I always liked harlequin on amiga and robocod 2. harlequin is very quirky and weird.

Metroid fusion on gba is very good too.

Of course theres turrican 2 and 3 amiga, great games.

Superfrog is fun on amiga.

I like many of the ones mentioned above, and I'll add these for the great fun I've had with them

• Ninja Gaiden (SMS): every time I play this, I cannot believe this is on a 8 bit system
  • DoReMi Fantasy (SNES): really nice and colourful good animation
  • Pop'N'Twinbee - Rainbow Bell adventures (SNES): I like the world concept
  • Hammerin' Harry (SNES): whacking cats, monkeys, and old ladies with a gigantic hammer? Oh yeah!

1. Yoshi's Island - SNES
  2. Ruff'N'Tumble - Amiga
  3. Aztec Challenge 2 (Corgi) - Atari 800 (obscure one I know, but I played it tons as a lad!)
  4. Creatures - C64

FlashBack - Amiga (because it exist and I kinda know one of it's maker. It's beautiful, the story is awesome, the music too, …)

flashback-amiga-005.jpg

(Another World is quite nice too, but for me it always looked more like a QTE than a platformer)

Zool - Amiga (it's an ad for Chupa Chups, but I loved it)

zool_amiga.png

Ristar - MD/Genesis (awesome, but pretty hard)

ristar_03.jpg

Kirby - NES (this game really pushes the NES hardware to it's limits)

kirbyadventure-1.png.gif

Donkey Kong Country series - SNES (those games have something that pushes me to start a new game - again)

donkey_kong_country.jpg

Not a "real" platformer, but the first "metroidvania" Castlevania SotN - PS1 (my favorite game of all time, spent many many hours on it and I still play it from time to time.). In fact, I would say that all the Castlevania series are nice games with some awesome gems like SotN, Rondo of Blood, Super Castlevania 4, Dawn of Sorrow, … (the 3D episodes NEVER HAPPENED!)

Do we have a Spelunky port on pandora?

hum, megaman on the nes?

it seemed a highly punishing plateformer with an additional gun just in case...

FlashBack - Amiga (because it exist and I kinda know one of it's maker. It's beautiful, the story is awesome, the music too, …)

attachicon.gif
flashback-amiga-005.jpg

(Another World is quite nice too, but for me it always looked more like a QTE than a platformer)

attachicon.gif
zool_amiga.png

attachicon.gif
ristar_03.jpg

attachicon.gif
kirbyadventure-1.png.gif

Donkey Kong Country series - SNES (those games have something that pushes me to start a new game - again)

attachicon.gif
donkey_kong_country.jpg

Not a "real" platformer, but the first "metroidvania" Castlevania SotN - PS1 (my favorite game of all time, spent many many hours on it and I still play it from time to time.). In fact, I would say that all the Castlevania series are nice games with some awesome gems like SotN, Rondo of Blood, Super Castlevania 4, Dawn of Sorrow, … (the 3D episodes NEVER HAPPENED!)

I'd also like to know is Spelunky on the Pandora a possibility?

I wouldn't call Flashback or Another world as platformers. Another World is pretty much always on "the same platform" and does not involved jumping or another. 

Flashback does have some platforming elements but both of them are rather adventure games. 

For me, a platformer involves continuous scrolling and a lot of jumping, and the absence of long range weapons. Therefore Turrican is more of a shooter than a platformer. 

Aladdin (Genesis/Megadrive) was a solid platformer, more so than the usual Disney Licences would make you think.

I have recently played a fair amount on these:

[DS] Yoshi's Island DS

[Genesis] ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

[Genesis] Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention

There are a number of others I play semi regularly, but I think this thread has got quite a few nice ones in already!

attachicon.gif
flashback-amiga-005.jpg

attachicon.gif
zool_amiga.png

attachicon.gif
ristar_03.jpg

attachicon.gif
kirbyadventure-1.png.gif

attachicon.gif
donkey_kong_country.jpg

I'd also like to know is Spelunky on the Pandora a possibility?
Did irem not do spelunker I,II and III try panmame and mame4all

Contra 3 on SNES is pretty awesome, but hard as hell.<br />Metal slug is excellent as well.<br /><br />Although those are more like side-scrolling shoot-em-ups as opposed to platformers.

Oh man PSYCHOFOX!!

What a game. I had completely forgotten about that bad boy!! 

I am going to download it now on my phone then bluetooth it over to my Pandora (This thing rocks). 

Keep the suggestions coming -  this thread is getting bookmarked as "My To-do list"  :D

Back