Gpx2 Or Xgp, Which Will You Buy?

Which one of these will you be buying?

• I am an end user and will buy a GPx2.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an end user and will buy a XGp.

• I am an end user and will buy both.

• I am a coder and will buy and code for the GPx2.

• I am a coder and will buy and code for the XGP.

• I am a coder and will buy and code for both.

• I won't buy any of them

• Total voters

Neither cos I don't see any reason to replace my GP32 with them.
If somebody mentions perfect Amiga emulation, I might think twice - but only maybe.

Muzzaro posted on Aug 19 2005 at 02:14 AM said:
So if we want emulated stuff, homebrews, text adventures and things like support for rollup keyboards (which would make note-taking in class sooo much easier without the bulky laptop), we go for the GPx2?

Yes. GPX2 is going to be the new homebrew king it seems.

Basically GamePark split up in half, because some people wanted to work on on a new commercial game system similar to the PSP (the XGP) and some wanted to make a new more advanced open source system like the GP32. So GPH (GamePark Holdings) is the half making GPX2, and GamePark is making the XGP.

Keep in mind that GPH plans to change both their company name and the console's name in the near future. But for now they are GPH and the system is called the GPX2. People submitted hundreds, maybe thousands, of new names for the GPX2, so it'll be interesting to see what the final name turns out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
iignotus posted on Aug 19 2005 at 01:45 AM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 18 2005 at 06:09 PM said:
Well I didn't say that he WONT port LJ I just said don't get your hopes up.  It is more likely that he won't be developing for the GPx2 than that he will.
I think I should mention that you certainly don't need the original developer of an open-source project to port it to another platform. Also, LittleJohn is hardly the only FOSS NES emulator out there. I can matter-of-factly state that there will be some slamming NES emulation on the GPX2.

Very true.

But I would personally love to see YoyoFr dev for GPX2. He's been burning up the PSP emu scene, his two emus are definitely the most advanced and most impressive. He seems to have similar tastes as me for handhelds (GP32, Zodiac, PSP... exactly the ones I was into and in that order) so maybe he'll get into GPX2 as well. :D

Anyway, quite a few top devs are already planning to get into GPX2 from what I've seen here, at Emuholic and also on the GP32Spain forums. Reesy, Skeezix & Rlyeh for example. There's a holy trinity of devs for you right there. :lol: Many others too, just can't think of all the names right now.

Muzzaro posted on Aug 19 2005 at 02:14 AM said:
I've missed alot of this new "xgp gpx2" stuff so... erm...

What's the difference between the two? Both seem to be from Gamepark...

Edit: Ah. Ok. So the company split into two, the GPx2 is more of a homebrew system, the XGP is going to be more like a GBA or such. Ok.

Seems wierd, but fair enough. :blink:

So if we want emulated stuff, homebrews, text adventures and things like support for rollup keyboards (which would make note-taking in class sooo much easier without the bulky laptop), we go for the GPx2?

Yeah the GPx2 is ideal for emulation, it has a resolution that matches close most systems, 4:3 aspect, digital stick, 2D chip etc. The other has features not as emu friendly like an odd res 16:9 screen, analog etc.

Well I didn't say that he WONT port LJ I just said don't get your hopes up.  It is more likely that he won't be developing for the GPx2 than that he will.
I think I should mention that you certainly don't need the original developer of an open-source project to port it to another platform. Also, LittleJohn is hardly the only FOSS NES emulator out there. I can matter-of-factly state that there will be some slamming NES emulation on the GPX2.

Yeah there will be some sort of NES emu. That is one of the first to get ported it seems. Then you will get SMS, GB, GBC. Anything more and it will likely be quite a wait.

Prophet posted on Aug 19 2005 at 05:22 AM said:

Very true.

But I would personally love to see YoyoFr dev for GPX2. He's been burning up the PSP emu scene, his two emus are definitely the most advanced and most impressive. He seems to have similar tastes as me for handhelds (GP32, Zodiac, PSP... exactly the ones I was into and in that order) so maybe he'll get into GPX2 as well. :D

Anyway, quite a few top devs are already planning to get into GPX2 from what I've seen here, at Emuholic and also on the GP32Spain forums. Reesy, Skeezix & Rlyeh for example. There's a holy trinity of devs for you right there. :lol: Many others too, just can't think of all the names right now.

I think Mike that did the GP32 Frodo port is interested in GPx2. I hope that the dude that did the Atari 400 emu ports his too. I would hate to lose that emu on the new one, but I can still use my BLU for that anyway (dammit I wish the GPx2 was BC) .

:D Most annoying poll ever!!

please keep it simple to two options. three max. Really I think this is three polls in one

DaveC posted on Aug 19 2005 at 05:28 AM said:
digital stick

Directional Pad would have been better though.

NES, SNES, SMS, Genisis, almost 99% of all consoles use directional pad. They're just so much easier to use than the arcade-like clicky sticks.

Makes me feel like I'm doing Hadoken out of my ass playing fighting games with GP32's stick. It just doesn't feel right.

I love the thumb stick. Dpads feel so tight and painful on the thumb compared to a tstick.

Maybe it's because I was very into NeoGeo Pocket Color for couple of years, and became very used to the tstick.

But really. the tstick is more accurate and dependable for fighting games than a dpad. It takes a little time to get good with it if you're used to a dpad, but it's better. Afterall, would SNK - the king of 2D fighting - have used a tstick if it wasn't good for fighters? No! ;)

My only concern about the GPX2 stick is the convex pad. The GP32 and the NGPC have concave pads, so they grip your thumb so it can't slide off by accident. The GPX2 has a convex pad like the Zodiac and PSP - not the best choice. Hopefully it's removable so we can maybe replace it with a concave one instead. Maybe even use the one from our GP32. :p

Prophet posted on Aug 20 2005 at 01:56 AM said:
I love the thumb stick. Dpads feel so tight and painful on the thumb compared to a tstick.

Maybe it's because I was very into NeoGeo Pocket Color for couple of years, and became very used to the tstick.

But really. the tstick is more accurate and dependable for fighting games than a dpad. It takes a little time to get good with it if you're used to a dpad, but it's better. Afterall, would SNK - the king of 2D fighting - have used a tstick if it wasn't good for fighters? No! ;)

My only concern about the GPX2 stick is the convex pad. The GP32 and the NGPC have concave pads, so they grip your thumb so it can't slide off by accident. The GPX2 has a convex pad like the Zodiac and PSP - not the best choice. Hopefully it's removable so we can maybe replace it with a concave one instead. Maybe even use the one from our GP32. :p
Analog sticks can be very badly made, though. Just look at the Gamecube (way too sensitive).

iignotus posted on Aug 20 2005 at 07:19 AM said:
Analog sticks can be very badly made, though. Just look at the Gamecube (way too sensitive).

It's not analog. It's a digital thumbstick. Just like the NGPC & GP32 has.

JyCet posted on Aug 20 2005 at 09:04 AM said:
coder and gpx2
open, cheap & 2d chip :)

Jycet is onboard! :D

Well now we know we'll see some excellent homebrew games for sure on GPX2!

Prophet posted on Aug 20 2005 at 04:32 AM said:
iignotus posted on Aug 20 2005 at 07:19 AM said:

It's not analog. It's a digital thumbstick. Just like the NGPC & GP32 has.
I'm not sure I understand the difference... is it a free-moving, 360-degree turning stick that protrudes from the base? Like a Dual Shock controller for PS/PS2 or... really, anything has a stick like that?

No, nothing like that.

I know it visually resembles the analog sticks on console gamepads, but that's where the similarity ends. It's a digital thumbstick, with 4 microswitches. One for each cardinal direction - up, down, left, right. But of course you can also do diagonals (i.e. up+left), so it's called "8way" digital input. You can ONLY communicate 8 directions. It's basically a miniature version of an arcade joystick. Very precise, and very comfortable.

Analog sticks, by definition, can communicate a full 360 degrees of direction. Great for 3D. But for 2D, not very precise. Definitely not the best choice for emulation of 2D game systems.

The best digital thumbstick ever was on the system that pioneered the idea - the NeoGeo Pocket. A really great system in its time, with some of the best portable games ever made. If someone could make a full speed emu of NGPC on GPX2 I'd be very happy.

polooo2 posted on Aug 20 2005 at 01:12 AM said:
Makes me feel like I'm doing Hadoken out of my ass playing fighting games with GP32's stick. It just doesn't feel right.

Lol well put. I'm not a fan of the stick either. Too fragile and unresponsive for my liking. If I still played on my GP32 I'd maybe try the stick fix but to be honest when you buy a brand new handheld system should you really need to bodge it to get it to function properly? Gamepark are so lucky to have a thriving community behind them. They have done nothing to deserve it.

EDIT

I am an end user and will wait and see.

Oh man. I love the GP32 stick. I've owned 3 GP32's (only 1 at a time tho) in my life and all 3 had perfect sticks.

It's very similar to the NGPC. Once you get good with it, it's THE best fighting game controller ever made for a handheld. Honestly!

I hope the GPX2 stick is as good as the NGPC. And since I do believe many people got bad sticks on theor GP32, hopefully quality control will be more uniform on GPX2.

And please get yourselves a NGPC and a copy of Match of the Millenium. Play it under a nice bright lamp, or in sunlight, and thank me later. Easily onr the best portable fighting games you'll ever play. Unless you're a graphics whore of course. ;) It's just 16bit, and very 8bit looking 16bit at that. And the sound is crap. But the gameplay, and the variety - is awesome. Same for Last Blade, Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Mission, and several other NGPC games like Card Fighters. Dripping with gameplay excellence, depth and good game design.

Yeah, once you've tried the NGPC's stick it's VERY difficult to go back to using a GBA style d-pad.

At first I didn't like the GP32's stick quite as much, but it grew on me. I've never had any problems, so I for one am glad GPH are using a digital stick again.

Prophet posted on Aug 20 2005 at 09:35 AM said:
JyCet posted on Aug 20 2005 at 09:04 AM said:
coder and gpx2
open, cheap & 2d chip :)

Jycet is onboard! :D

Well now we know we'll see some excellent homebrew games for sure on GPX2!

YEAH :D
one more reason to buy it ;) I really love all Jycet work & I'm sure he'll bring us some awesome games for our GPX2 :)

Don't you think the GP32's control stick is a bit weak tho? I worry its gonna snap off when i use it sometimes...All hail D-pads in my opinion! However you couldn't beat the Megadrives 6-button control pad.

Back