Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

Great to see a release. And yeah, I agree with what other donators said about the timing - it doesn't really matter to me when the public version is released. I hope people do continue to donate.

Frustratingly (or maybe amusingly), all this talk of virtualisation has made me start using my GP32 again, so I'll have to wait until I get home from work to test the new gpSP out!

:)
Donating time or money, it's really the thought that counts. Although I'm close to being out of debt now. So I owe so many more thanks than imaginable. :p

tanks alot, zodttd, really unbelievable work.... emu runs great, kurukuru kururin runs pretty good, wario warez would be awesome! but navigating through the menu is giving me a hard time.... ;) best regards, hill

ok, quick bug report. Seems like I cannot use sram saves too well. When trying to save in Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga (U) it sometimes works but most of the time displays a "savegame corrupted" message and aborts the saving process. This is with an overclock to 250mhz.

EDIT: Oh, and also, I had Zelda Minish Cap (E) freeze on me after about 15-20 minutes in the game.

I believe people are having issues with Mario & Luigi's SRAM saving due to using patched ROMs. This was one of those games that needed to be patched to be run on adapters. I'm going to get use my clean rom backup I made and test it. The opposite might be true though, where it might need a specific patch for it to work.

EDIT: The Zelda freeze *may* be due to the overclock. I had to bump my overclock down 5MHz from 265 to 260 when using gpSP2X. Not sure if it's due to the handling of CPUSPEEDs code, or just the usage of the dynarec and clearing cache and such. Try bumping down the overclock by 5 or 10 MHz and see if it does it in that same area again, if possible.

That's incredible zodttd..you make reality that was a dream just few days ago. I'll donate you for sure when i'll get my postepay charged for your future virtualized version.

One question: I didn't followed beta testing topic so deeply..can someone tell me what are the optimization to get a less stuttering audio? The game speed is PERFECT for me though, in lots of game at 200mhz too with frameskip manual set to 2.

Hi ZodTTD,

just been testing 9006. It seems that the CPU tweaker still has the same issues with saving the configuration - saves gamma as 0.0 if you set it to anything other than 1. Also can only set gamma in steps of 0.2, which is either too bright or too dark (needs to be 0.7 on my unit).

The speed is, as was the case with 9005, nowhere near as fast as 9004. R-Type third lightning now needs quite a major overclock to run reasonably smoothly, for instance.

A few graphic glitches in Sonic Advance 2 - Sonic will sometimes disappear completely, mostly after a powerup runs out.

Framecounter is still displaying the number of emulated frames per second, rather than the number of actually drawn frames - so games that skip many frames are still reporting 60fps, which doesn't help in assessing their speed. It would be most useful to see how many graphical frames are being dropped in order to maintain emulation speed.

Incidentally, how are you managing your auto-frameskip? In my emulators I usually set up a second low-priority thread for the graphics which will suspend display processing if the main emulation thread requires it. This requires synchronising the emulation to the sound buffer's play position, but works extremely well - the emulation loop idles while the sound buffer catches up, and during that idle period the graphic thread can do its job.

Just a suggestion, but something similar may help with the awful audio glitching and stuttering that I'm still getting when there's no obvious frameskipping happening, and the emulation is reported as running at 60fps.

No crashes though, but as many of the games I want to play are still unplayable I've not tested many.

D.

Just to note, a good game for testing is Payback for GBA as it crashes ALOT and when it does run it runs at what appears to be 0.1 fps (VERY VERY SLOWLY, like one frame every 10 seconds IF that).

Normmatt was able to help me pinpoint a bug in the dynarec. I'm fixing it now, should add some games to becoming compatible as it was a really large dumb design flaw. :)

"Framecounter is still displaying the number of emulated frames per second, rather than the number of actually drawn frames - so games that skip many frames are still reporting 60fps, which doesn't help in assessing their speed. It would be most useful to see how many graphical frames are being dropped in order to maintain emulation speed."

I'm going to double check that part of the code. It could very well be including skipped frames in the autoframeskip/framerate counting. If so it would be why the autoframeskip is a bit wonky right now.

The reason Sonic dissapears is due to the frameskip though. Imagine skipping every other frame but Sonic is drawn one frame and the power-up orb drawn in the next. If skipping every other one, you will see one or the other. To fix you could try using a random frameskip instead of uniform, but random frameskip is not recommended for any other instance.

Just so you know, I am running Sonic Advance 2 (US) right now and it sounds fine to me @ 260MHz. Very odd how a few people are getting dramatically different results. DaveC is having the same problem. Are you using a menu system btw? What version GP2X and firmware?

zodttd posted on Mar 15 2007 at 10:44 AM said:
The reason Sonic dissapears is due to the frameskip though. Imagine skipping every other frame but Sonic is drawn one frame and the power-up orb drawn in the next. If skipping every other one, you will see one or the other. To fix you could try using a random frameskip instead of uniform, but random frameskip is not recommended for any other instance.

Yeah , it's obvious now :)

I had a similar problem in one of my own emulators with some scene demos a while ago :)

Just so you know, I am running Sonic Advance 2 (US) right now and it sounds fine to me @ 260MHz. Very odd how a few people are getting dramatically different results. DaveC is having the same problem. Are you using a menu system btw? What version GP2X and firmware?

GP2X MKII, Firmware 2.1.0, and no menu system.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great release, many things that were running barely playable in the original version are now fairly playable at 200 (have not tried OC yet).

Is there a way to set the FPS counter to default to on? I like to have it on but don't want to have to press the stick button every time.

I got Camelot games working! After I fixed the bugs Armwrestler reported, I am now able to run games such as Golden Sun and Mario Golf! :)

Expect a v9007 soon with this bug fix and extra optimizations / autoframeskip fixes! :)

Wow wow !

We all love you Zod,

Will try this today !

Thanks for all your works !
paxl13

zodttd posted on Mar 15 2007 at 01:25 PM said:
I got Camelot games working! After I fixed the bugs Armwrestler reported, I am now able to run games such as Golden Sun and Mario Golf! :)

Expect a v9007 soon with this bug fix and extra optimizations / autoframeskip fixes! :)

Goodness all around! :)

Just wondering: I tried to load a savestate from the previous version, and got a complete black out -> power cycling needed to restart. It makes sense to me - These two versions of the emu must be rather different, internally - but I thought I might mention it. just in case it shouldn't be so.

Lunar, a savestate file from slot 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the initial public release (I got in before the update) and was trying Naruto out which is much improved, plays full speed for me. Good Job!

Anyway I was playing for a few minutes when suddenly everything slowed right down, the framecounter dropped from 60 to 40 and everything got stuttery then stopped This was on a static screen, nothing really happening at all. I thought the game had crashed since none of the regular buttons would work, then I hit the start button and the game popped back to full speed and worked perfectly again! I don't know if this is related to the crashing everyone is talking about, but hopefully it will help track something down.

Thanks again! Excellent release. :D

Wow, this is running great! ive been playing THPS3 and Jet Set Radio w/o sound @ 200mhz at close to full speeds! when i get home im going to try overclocking adn whatnot, but this is a great release, Great Job!

(cant wait for the next release!)

Goemon4: Oh Mr Smiley! ;)

Vilmos: That may be due to the crappy autoframeskip job in v9006. I noticed that happened to me but not when using manual frameskip. I'm fixing autoframeskip as we speak. If the issue you described isn't autoframeskip, it could just mean there's something clogging the dynarec while in an idle state in that particular game.

I am glad that you could figure out why golden sun didn't run with normatt's help. This is really improving fast. I am excited for the next release.

Crap, I should be doing university applications right now... must... play... klonoa2!!!

Back