Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

240MHz? Excellent!

Oh, the saving issue could be due to patched ROMs. Make sure you're using a "clean" ROM.

How about the stuttery sound? Is anyone else getting that at 240 MHz or just me?

In two hours of play i only get 1 crash, it was in DKC1 start title.After that i have decrease Oc by 10 and no more crashes have happened.Maybe i have been lucky? I don´t think so, with the last betas crashes were more frequent.

The sound now is very good :)

Auto Frameskip bug is still there, but no porblem, i can change it manually to fit with the game i am playing.

Frameskip 0 bug is still there.A black screen will appear if you set it to 0 ingame.

The sound improvement maybe have made the games loss 5 frames or so.Before i could plat Castlevania COTM with frameskip 1 all the time, now i have to set it to 2, but the gameplay is very good at frameskip2 any way.

Nothing more at the moment, I am enjoying playing Castlevania COTM a lot, i can´t stop it :D

Thank you very much Zodttd ;)

DaveC posted on Mar 15 2007 at 05:42 AM said:
How about the stuttery sound? Is anyone else getting that at 240 MHz or just me?
It depends of the game, but if you increase the frameskip stuttery sound is fixed.But you will have a non smooth scroolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This version is pretty stable for me. Either a game won't work at all or it runs just fine. If a game crashes in a random spot, it seems to be due to overclocks being 5-10MHz more than this code likes. :)

Yes, I improved sound quality but it took a few FPS away. It's between 3 and 5 FPS. The higher the overclock, the less effect of course.

If I can get the dynarec about 10 frames faster (which is still within reach), I think many games will be very smooth and the autoframeskip won't get so confused. ;P

DaveC: Have you tried not using the menu system and seeing if you still get weird results? Also make sure you're pressing Select to enable the overclock. If you press Start to continue you will NOT set the overclock settings. I couldn't remember if you tried without the menu system, but it could interfere potentially.

AWSOME job ,
quick qestion about overclocking , what is the default speed ?what is a safe speed to goto ? what are the disadvantages of going oo high/low ?

Thanks Bud

imhotep posted on Mar 15 2007 at 06:14 AM said:
Quick question: Is screen filtering supported or is this for PSP only?
Only for PSP.

zodttd posted on Mar 15 2007 at 04:31 AM said:
I'll test Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga again. Last time I tested it, it worked at least a few minutes into gameplay without issues. Try lowering your overclock 10MHz and see if it still crashes in Mario & Lugui or Pokemon. I'm wondering why Pokemon would crash at random times. It sounds like a previous bug I had, but I have a feeling cpu_speed and gpSP2X are a bit pickier about overclocks. For instance I max out at 265MHz, but can only go to 260MHz in gpSP2X. I'll look into this.

Harvest Moon won't save? Thats weird. Are you talking about in-game saves or save states?

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga ran without any issues for me. I'm into gameplay right now.

in game saves.

budbud posted on Mar 15 2007 at 05:14 AM said:
AWSOME job ,
quick qestion about overclocking , what is the default speed ?what is a safe speed to goto ? what are the disadvantages of going oo high/low ?

Thanks Bud

Default speed is 200mhz. Any speed is safe to go to, it won't hurt anything if you go too high, just perhaps crash and possibly corrupt your SD card (rare and only requires a reformat or disk check through windows). 240mhz is more or less guaranteed for 99% of people's units. Mine can go to 255mhz, which is pretty common for the newer units. Going higher than the 200mhz default will make your unit drain batteries around 20-30% faster if you go up to 250mhz (just making up that figure based on reports I've seen). Going lower than 200mhz will give better battery life, but you can forget about that when emulating GBA, at least for now. It would be too slow. The GP2X supports speeds down to 50mhz, which is useful for simple homebrew games.

Zodttd: I haven't had any crashing (except the one menu bug where you select Cheats and Misc options after loading a ROM). The sound is much, much better. I am a VERY happy man right now.

Senor Quack posted on Mar 15 2007 at 04:45 PM said:
Zodttd: I haven't had any crashing (except the one menu bug where you select Cheats and Misc options after loading a ROM).
Yeah I got this crash too.

I have left Metroid Fusion Runnig alone for 1 hour and the old crashes have desappeared for me at least. :)
Sound is very good :)
I can save/load without problems an intenal saving of the games are working perfect for me too.
Try to save and then restart gpsp and load, it works for me.

Hot tip: Make sure your audio buffer is set to 2048 (Zod's recommended default). It is supposed to be set at this level, but mine defaulted to 16284 which sounded terrible.

Note: You need to reload rom for it to register.

this is going to be an awesome day! I just woke up, the sun is shining and when I read the news I almost burst in tears out of happines... well... sorta. cheers zodttd!

what an awesome release, though there is one thing i'd like too know about.

How exactly do we go about finding idle loops in slow roms just for the added speed boost it may provide?

Normmatt: To be honest, I'm not quite sure yet. I need to talk to Exophase about it. Hopefully there's a tutorial of sorts we can come up with for everyone. Glad you asked! :)

As for the memcpy and memset. I don't believe they're used in time sensitive routines, but I do have both those functions written in assembly available for use. I tried them and they added little to no performance gain. They use a well mix of Load/Store Multiple as best as I can tell.

zodttd: i read you have used armwrestler too test your dynarec, my armwrestler reports a few opcode problems "AND BAD C, MOV BAD C and ORR BAD N Rd" are the only opcodes which have problems although the AND and MOV bugs are only flag issues the ORR bug seems a little more problematic as its reporting the Destination address is wrong.

This version works a hell of alot better than the old version, thanks for the hardwork on the dynarec, zodttd.

Normmatt: Yeah that ORR bug really bothers me. The flag issues might cause some weirdness, but I don't know whats wrong with that ORR! Do you have the source to armwrestler for the GBA? If so I might be able to figure out and isolate the bug! The MSR bug is fixed in this version, all the flags were reported wrong in that one. Amazing what will work when somethings wrong!

Back