Nethack

Dzz

stmia r0!, {r2-r9}
Website
Visit site
Hello everybody! I decided to make a new thread for this instead of continuing one from the wish list forum area.

I am releasing my port of Nethack, now version 0.3, for testing. It is still not quite ready for a "public" release to the archive site but it is getting closer.

http://gp2xgamer.com/nethack03.zip

For those who are not familiar with Nethack, I suggest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetHack as a good starting point.

Comments as always are appreciated.

What's new in version 0.3

Tile selector added to main menu
3 tilesets plus default contained in distribution
Transparency added to tilesets
Splash screen added if nondefault tileset is being used
Readme.txt and license.txt added to distribution
Enhanced keyboard added to character name selection
Visible cursor added to Farlook mode (L+X)
R mapped to "repeat last action"
L+R mapped to Fire Weapon (not sure if I'll keep that)
Dropping and picking up multi-item objects get all of them
"Pick Up" added to context-specific menu choices
Wear Armor and Remove Armor moved to top of Wear/Wield menu
Sync() call added after game save
Bug regarding menu extending off bottom of screen fixed
Several alterations too minor to mention

Goals for version 0.4 (preliminary)

Program Features

Display Bugs
High scores + RIP screen
Help display
Scrolling back through text messages
Gameplay Features
Use joystick to select partial quantities in menus
Commands needing text entry (engrave, wish, etc)
Some missing commands (#monster, e.g.)
Fixing situational features (context-specific commands that are missing)

Goals for version 0.5 (first public release)

Fix bugs in 0.4
Continue tweaking gameplay

Here is part of the readme, which describes the controls and tilesets:

COMMAND SUMMARY

In some situations (for example, text entry)
the available command keys are explained on
the screen. In most cases though it would be
cumbersome to do that and you will have to
either refer to the in-game help file, have
the commands written down somewhere, or remember
them. A great deal of thought went into the way
that the commands are arranged, and after a
little while, they become second nature.

L - a "shift" key used to alter command functions
R - repeat last command
L+R - fire weapon
Joystick - move
L+Joystick - move a far distance
Stick-Click - search or pick up
L+Stick-Click - wait
Volume +/- - zoom in/out
L+Volume +/- - scroll top text (NOT IMPLEMENTED)
A - invoke the Action menu
B - invoke the Use menu
X - look at things in your current location
L+X - enter Farlook mode to examine things
Y - open
L+Y - kick
SELECT - invoke the Activities menu
START - invoke the Main menu

USING TILE SETS

A "tileset" is a single graphic file containing
all of the Nethack graphic tiles at a resolution
of 32x32 pixels, in a particular order. The
resulting file is 1280 x 960 in size.
To use them, just place the .png
files in the same folder as the executable,
then select "Load Tiles" from the game menu.

GETTING THE MOST OUT OF NETHACK

Nethack might at first seem kind of shallow or
stupid, but there is a LOT of hidden depth to the
game. Probably the best idea is to go to Google
and do some searches.

after a quick testing I can say that it's a great release. I haven't noticed any major bugs. Just once, when I've changed the tileset, played for a while (10-15 sec) and changed the tileset again no tiles were changed. But when I moved my character, I've noticed that only the tiles that were about to be repainted (ones under @ fe.) changed to the new tileset. But that occured only once so it's not a real bug, more like a glitch.

geez my english is bad, I hope you'll understand what I mean ><

When you step over a square that has multiple items in it, you get a little dialog telling you what's there. In a way that's handy because it lets you know if there's anything there of interest. The problem is that it's irritating when you've been there before or when you know that there's not going to be anything interesting in that square. Having thought about the fixes I can make, here's what I would like to do:

Do not show the dialog. Instead, if there are a reasonable number of things (two or three), print the list of them out to the top text area in one line. If there are more than that, just print on the line, "There are many items here". You can press the stick button to get the Pick Up dialog.

Having played a few hours last night, this is probably the most irritating gameplay feature, in my opinion. For anybody else who is irritated by those dialogs, does this solution seem like a good idea?

And while we're on the topic of irritations -- unlike many games, fans of Nethack will be playing this for many many hours. For such people, use this thread to vent your biggest frustrations and irritations about the gameplay and as time goes by I'll see if there's anything to be done about them.

As an example: the second most irritating gameplay feature is the way that the joystick can slide from horizontal to diagonal while trying to take one step, which results in two steps being taken. I intend to experiment with changing this so that you have to move the joystick back to the center to change directions.

Thanks for the testing and feedback!

I am planning to try a nethack port, probably with an interface from falcons eye, vultures eye, noegnud, or one of the other gui interfaces. I do not plan to use the apparently-standard one button per action interface. I would like to work out a circular-tree menu where you press one of four buttons 2-3 times to get to the actions in sorted menus. Of course a 'repeat last action' button would b e iportant too.

I am planning to try a nethack port, probably with an interface from falcons eye, vultures eye, noegnud, or one of the other gui interfaces. I do not plan to use the apparently-standard one button per action interface. I would like to work out a circular-tree menu where you press one of four buttons 2-3 times to get to the actions in sorted menus. Of course a 'repeat last action' button would b e iportant too.
Good luck! One of the great things about having everything be open is that everybody can follow their own vision of the best way to do things, and the game players benefit from the choice.

Since there are already two ports of Nethack for the gp2x though, you could consider doing one of the other popular roguelike games (moria, angband, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent port! I've been playing it a bit, but haven't really found any problems with it at all. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time with this. I never seemed to notice before how silent the game is... of course, it never really had sound in the first place, but for some reason I notice the absense of sound so much more on a handhelf. Is there any way to get into Wizard mode in this version? Do bones files work?

Also, if anyone is looking for a roguelike to port, might I suggest Linley's Dungeon Crawl? I had a lot of fun with this one. Omega is another great one that no one ever seems to remember, although it's so old, it might take a lot of work to clean up the source and get it working on the GP2X.

Oh, another thought... what kind of CPU speed does this need? Has anyone tried dropping the clock speed to see if things still play nicely? I have a feeling I'll be draining a lot of battery power during some late night hacking :)

--Zero

Had a quick play, and this is awesome work, Dzz! Will spend some more time with it to see if there's anything I can suggest.

I haven't played the original Nethack (but logged years on Angband, Moria and ToME) -- is there a way to find out AC ratings of different armors, and damage of weapons?

Well, hopefully if I do it right then my input code would be effectively just a new onscreen keyboard with a really funky button-based layout, something that could be integrated into any other program with its own letter layouts.

is there a way to find out AC ratings of different armors, and damage of weapons?
Well, if you put the armor on, your character will automatically deduce any +/- enchantments.... just check your inventory after you wear it. I think the same goes for weapons too. Of course, if the item is cursed, then you're finding out a little late. If you want to play it safe, you can use a scroll of identify.

--Zero

I've never actually sat down and played Nethack for more than a few minutes out of boredom before, but i'm giving this one a go on the GP2X, it's a nice pick up and play game. I'm finding all the options a little overwhelming, but i'm sure i'll figure it all out eventually - great fun :)

I'm not sure if this is a bug or it's intentional, but you can't move diagonally from a door square.

Also, is it meant to be possible to get trapped and not be able to proceed further downwards? 3rd floor down and a boulder blocked the only unexplored passage :(

Great port though! Really enjoying it.

I've never actually sat down and played Nethack for more than a few minutes out of boredom before, but i'm giving this one a go on the GP2X, it's a nice pick up and play game. I'm finding all the options a little overwhelming, but i'm sure i'll figure it all out eventually - great fun :)

Same, I was overwhelmed with it at first and didn't quite bother afterwards. I'll have to try it again. :)

Hm, I tried to go down some stairs, and my game crashed back to the GP2X Menu. Now I can't seem to load my save <_<

I'll see if it happens agian.

Back