Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

zodttd posted on Mar 16 2007 at 01:10 PM said:
Oh, forgot to mention that. Some user's with d-pad mods weren't able to use push-stick. So I changed the FPS counter to VOLUMEMIDDLE+L+R. It's a weird key combo since it's really only for debugging.
Thank you man :)
More reports:

-Tekken now runs very well and no graphic corruptions :)
-Wario Twisted runs with no graphic corruption but you can´t play it very much :D At the moment you cannot emulate movement detection inside a GP2X :D
-Mario Kart seems smoother now :)
-Stret Figther Alpha 3 now runs and it´s almost perfect :)

Thank very you much Zodttd :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wario Twisted runs with no graphic corruption but you can´t play it very much biggrin.gif At the moment you cannot emulate movement detection inside a GP2X

there is a hacked rom knocking about... using the shoulder buttons for the directions, i've never found it though :(

Heh I noticed that the better gpSP2X gets, the less people post. I suppose it's a good thing. :p

Good to hear about better compatibility and things running smoother!

As for WarioWare Twisted, I believe there is a IPS patch for the ROM that will allow for L/R to emulate movement. That way you just use a GBA IPS patcher to fix your backup.

I'd be posting more but I haven't even had time to put any of the public releases (maybe the first pub release, can't remember...) on my SD card... I will hopefully make a few videos but I'll have to see how much coursework I can get done today...

Correct, I have been playing instead of posting. :D
Anyway, report:
Phantasy Star Collection (U) - Loops intro twice, on the second time the graphics are corrupted then white screen.

And I have a question: is it possible to change default frameskip for all roms from auto 4 > auto 2?

Other than that, GREAT WORK ZODTTD!
Who would have thought this was possible a couple of months ago? :)

Just D/Led 9007, and put it on my card - There should be no problem with just replacing the .gpe from the 9006 version, right?

Still just playing Lunar Legends - I've now beaten the pirates and clocked almost two hours on the ingame clock :) No lockups or weird goings on at all, as far as I have seen. I put a small OC - 220 Mhz - didn't mess with any ram timings or anything, and put it on manual FS 1 - Smooth and nice, works a charm :) Even in-game saving and loading seems to work.

Sound is a bit weird, though. In the in-game menu (that is, where you can equip stuff and check stats of your characters and so on), it is perfect - Almost crystal clear, bopping along. However, once I leave the menu and go to the gameplay screen, the music goes into half-speed, abouts. Has a slightly buzzing quality to it and plays I think on pitch, but as I said, slow...How so? Did I miss some setting somewhere?

The sound buffer is on default, 2048.

All this talk about WarioWare Twisted. ;) The original WarioWare, Inc. is great too!

Burbruee posted on Mar 17 2007 at 01:14 AM said:
And I have a question: is it possible to change default frameskip for all roms from auto 4 > auto 2?
When auto frameskip is working properly, auto frameskip 4 would probably be the perfect setting.

imhotep posted on Mar 16 2007 at 03:58 PM said:
All this talk about WarioWare Twisted. ;) The original WarioWare, Inc. is great too!

Burbruee posted on Mar 17 2007 at 01:14 AM said:
When auto frameskip is working properly, auto frameskip 4 would probably be the perfect setting.

For me auto frameskip 4 is way too choppy, auto frameskip 2 is just about perfect for all games. ;)
( Have to change it for all new games. )

Just tried out Gyakuten Saiban 3 (J) + Case 1 english translation [Phoenix Wright], works perfect on my GP2X. :D

With versions 9006 I played many games, especially Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and none of them crashed (266Mhz with ram tweaks) and it was such a pleasure B) but I noticed SRAM saves often didn't work... Why not add an option to manually save SRAM, just in case?
Also sound quality seems quite bad, is it the emulator or the GBA? It plays flawlessely, but seems like there is some king of 'noise'!

I played Castlevania on 9007 and the game seemed to save correctly (but I just tried it 1 time), but is was slower! It used to play fullspeed with previous version, now it often have slowdowns in some places...

Also, I noticed (in v9006) that using automatic frameskip 2 is smoother than autoframeskip 4... and that shouldn't be ;)

I'm very happy with your work though ;) You deserve many thanks, and have well earned your donations!

I hope i'll get more time this WE ;)

Burbruee posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:07 PM said:
For me auto frameskip 4 is way too choppy, auto frameskip 2 is just about perfect for all games. ;)
( Have to change it for all new games. )

Damn, i'm always a few seconds late :(

I've been tinkering about with the settings on 9007, and at 259Mhz with no ram-setting changes, I can't stop the sound stuttering.

Not a problem in itself, I'm wondering if anyone is able to run it without the stuttering? And, if so, what games?

zodttd - I'll have to double-check that my games are USA versions, as you suggest.

DaveC - any news on the new shipment of D-mods to EvilD?

hackgrid posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:43 PM said:
Nice, GoldenSun works and is close to fullspeed @ 319 Mhz ^^

319Mhz :blink:

I still think the GUI needs serious work, since the emulator itself run very well at the moment it's no more a priority :)

What I suggest is a nicer interface (I don't mind black&white GUI such as Picodrive, as long as it is clear and accessible)
For example the in-game menu don't totally clear the screen (text draws on the game)
The rom folder should be /roms/gba, or allow you to set one by default
you should write a confirmation for savestates once saving is complete (a simmple "Save done" message should do the trick)
Also the built-in CPU Speed isn't user-friendly
And the config files should be saved on a separate folder (one folder for saves, one for roms, one for configs...)

Of course, these are only advises and it's you Zod who decide what you wan't to do ;) just don't think I'm trying to dictate you what to do :unsure:

hackgrid posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:43 PM said:
Nice, GoldenSun works and is close to fullspeed @ 319 Mhz ^^

...and if anyone wants to know where you are, we just have to follow the tracks of boiling battery acid :)

Zod, as I said in my previous post...

As for auto-frameskip, the only real way to get it running reliably in my experience (which is quite extensive in emulation under windows, but not linux), is to use two threads and a series of sound buffers for synchronisation.

The main thread, running at normal priority, will emulate the CPU etc - and will, at the end of each frame's worth of opcodes, enter an "idle loop" while it waits for the sound buffers' play position to reach the start of a new buffer (with each buffer being one frame's worth of sound samples). at the start of that idle loop, it signals a lower priority thread to begin building the frame graphics. Because the main, higher priority, thread has entered an idle loop, the graphic thread gets CPU time.

If the graphic thread finishes building graphics before the idle loop finishes, then all is well and you get the full 50 or 60fps. If not, then the CPU thread takes over again and the graphics thread won't get to finish building graphics until the next idle loop. This way, frames will skip if there's not enough CPU time to complete them.

because you're waiting for sound synch, you get perfect sound (unless the emulator cannot cope in the CPU thread, when there's no way you're going to get any sort of smooth emulation), and a proper, correct auto-frameskip.

As I say, I've been doing this under windows for a few years now and it works very well indeed. I've messed with various methods of checking and computation to see if frames need to be skipped, and none have been as reliable as this. I don't know if you can implement this without a significant rewrite, or even if you can do this at all under linux on the 2x, but it may be worth a shot.

hope it helps, feel free to ignore it though :)

D.

Ha, well ive been playing more games, and mostly everything for me is playing around 80% (with Yod4z ram timings, no sound, and @ 250mhz) great Great Job, Zodttd! (and to think, i thought fullspeed GBA emulation would never come)

I'm finding saving is working properly with v9007, though speed has taken a bit of a dive. Zero Mission was running fullspeed in 9006, but not battery saving, now it's saving but the sound is dreadful again. Whatever's the matter?

Back