Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

I can't wait for the public release. Believe me, if I had any money what so ever I would donate it to you and all the other devs. Currently however, there is five dollars between my checking and savings accounts....

Could anyone possibly make a video of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? Or, just tell me how gameplay is?

Claym99: At 250mhz OC and advanced RAM timings, the sound in FFT:Advance is much better and the game is perfectly playable for the minute or two I had it loaded. At normal OC and no RAM timing changes, the sound still is very clippy and laggy. I didn't spend any time trying different buffer sizes, however.

Zodttd: I've tried all three Castlevania games. Two of them still have the annoying 2-3 second sound delay. However, Aria of Sorrow has near-perfect sound, now. Ironically, Aria is not listed in the game config .TXT file. The one Castlevania ROM listed in the txt file is Circle of the Moon, and I have the exact ROM it specifies (verified with Wordpad). CotM still exhibits the sound delay, however.

Another bug I noticed, not sure if it's been reported yet, is if you select "Cheats and MISC options" from the main menu, only after a ROM is loaded, the entire emu freezes. If you go into it right off the bat before loading any roms, it displays the proper options. Not sure if that section of the emu has even started to be ported, however.

I am going to test further, now. The performance and sound quality are very good, now. Just a tiny little bit of sound clicks I've noticed, but NOTHING like before. Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, hate to say it, but I'm getting lockups regularly every 10 minutes or so playing Metroid:Fusion. Only a very mild overclock (220mhz when my unit is stable at 255mhz) and default RAM timings. I'll play a few other games for longer periods. Anybody else getting freezes?

zodttd posted on Mar 13 2007 at 04:05 AM said:
Sorry, I've been super busy today. This is the best I could do with the time I had. So v9005 is available for download. Just change v9004d to v9005 in the link. :)

New in this version:
- Fixed a bug in the dynarec (might improve compatibility a bit)
- Added a slight performance increase in the dynarec
- Fixed up the auto frameskip and it now works slightly better. Can still be improved.
- Fixed the serious bug that made many games freeze after a portion of time being played.

As usual, I love feedback. I am messaging people who PMd me today. If you don't receive a PM and were supposed to, let me know.
Testing for you , General :) B)

shinneri posted on Mar 13 2007 at 06:50 AM said:
Speaking of RAM timings, how do you do it with cpu_speed? In Picodrive it's a matter of turning "RAM Timing" from OFF to ON. Here it seems a bit more complicated...
I use this settings, these are the Craigix Standars:

CAS 2
tRC 6
tRAS 4
tWR 1
tMRD 1
tRFC 1
tRP 2
tRCD 2

Zodttd, the sound is worse.I can hear an anoying scratch that didn´t exist before.I have tried to change buffer from default /now) 256 and nothing changes.
I have found a couple of blanck screens (twice of 10 times i pressed vol+-) when pressing vol+- to change frameskip in game.

sam fisher posted on Mar 13 2007 at 06:50 PM said:
Any idea why the file size of the binary has swollen by over a megabyte?
it could have been compiled with debugging symbols
he probably just forgot to turn them off

Senor Quack posted on Mar 13 2007 at 05:37 AM said:
Claym99: At 250mhz OC and advanced RAM timings, the sound in FFT:Advance is much better and the game is perfectly playable for the minute or two I had it loaded. At normal OC and no RAM timing changes, the sound still is very clippy and laggy. I didn't spend any time trying different buffer sizes, however.

Zodttd: I've tried all three Castlevania games. Two of them still have the annoying 2-3 second sound delay. However, Aria of Sorrow has near-perfect sound, now. Ironically, Aria is not listed in the game config .TXT file. The one Castlevania ROM listed in the txt file is Circle of the Moon, and I have the exact ROM it specifies (verified with Wordpad). CotM still exhibits the sound delay, however.

Another bug I noticed, not sure if it's been reported yet, is if you select "Cheats and MISC options" from the main menu, only after a ROM is loaded, the entire emu freezes. If you go into it right off the bat before loading any roms, it displays the proper options. Not sure if that section of the emu has even started to be ported, however.

I am going to test further, now. The performance and sound quality are very good, now. Just a tiny little bit of sound clicks I've noticed, but NOTHING like before. Thanks so much!

This report is about 9005 isn´t it? Sound in 9004D is alot of better.

Now, in 9005, you have fx sounding al real time but music playing a lot of seconds later or not sounding anymore.
I think Zodttd has done a bad compilation without realizing or anything.Maybe that explain the change of size in the gpe as well.

Sorry Zodttd, but this beta 9005 has all that serious bugs.
I prefer playing with 9004D that has a good sound (very good with some games) in spite of all those ramdom crashes.

I've only tested Summon Night so far and sound is worse indeed. Also game feels little slower but maybe it's just me. It also hangs after 10 minutes.

One more thing. When I've loaded Bomberman Tournament and Summon Night after it I was hearing music from both titles (Restart Game worked).

kardasan posted on Mar 13 2007 at 12:07 PM said:
I've only tested Summon Night so far and sound is worse indeed. Also game feels little slower but maybe it's just me. It also hangs after 10 minutes.

One more thing. When I've loaded Bomberman Tournament and Summon Night after it I was hearing music from both titles (Restart Game worked).
Yes, i have this problems too.
Talking about auto framskipping.
Auto frameskip is not fixed yet, if you set auto frameskip 4 is like setting frameskip 4, is always skipping 4.
auto framekip=manual frameskip

My conclusion is that Zodttd has made a bad compilation without realizing of that.
He has the real (and fixed) 9005 and we have 9002 or so :D

¡Wake up Zodttd :D ! :lol:

therealadmin posted on Mar 13 2007 at 12:35 PM said:
If I use my menu in game a lot it freezes up, like maybe 2 or 3 times.
Yes, i reported that before.

Maybe Zodttd is working too hard, having little sleep, and so has started making mistakes? I hope not, as I finally got around to trying out the emulator yesterday and the first impressions were amazing.

Squidge posted on Mar 13 2007 at 02:22 PM said:
Maybe Zodttd is working too hard, having little sleep, and so has started making mistakes? I hope not, as I finally got around to trying out the emulator yesterday and the first impressions were amazing.
Maybe :)

The emulator is impressive with many games, and the sound was good (no lag, well sync) in 9004 D but the ramdom crashes were a big problem.

9005 has the same problems of 9004D (crashes and bad auto frameskip) and a big problem with sound that 9004D has not.(Castlevania:COTM, Zelda, CT Special Forces,Winning Eleven,....)

Sure that Zodttd will fix it in a second B)

When you want Zodttd.Enjoying coding is more important that coding for the people.You have to code for your own pleasure :)

Back