Gpsp 0.9-2xa

Great work Exophase :D I have just tested a couple of games and near on all of them work fine but Im getting some that freeze up and stop or the emu just quits ie Breath of fire 1 and Metroid Fusion :(
but apart from that its Great :) and I know this is a public beta so when you have the finished product it will kick a$$

Ps Rivroner could you please tell me what settings you have got on for your Metroid Fusion to work because I have tryed 4 copys but still no luck and if you do post cheers m8 :)

shinra said:
Excelent work!! thank you Exophase, I copied the emu alongside with the bios and mmu hack on a fresh directory but it seems there is (at least for me) random freezes of the emu, also sword of mana (U) always freezes the emu. ¿Anyone have the same problem?
No random freezes for me, but Sword of Mana is killing the emu as well :ph34r:

DethBall said:
Great work Exophase :D I have just tested a couple of games and near on all of them work fine but Im getting some that freeze up and stop or the emu just quits ie Breath of fire 1 and Metroid Fusion :(
but apart from that its Great :) and I know this is a public beta so when you have the finished product it will kick a$$

Ps Rivroner could you please tell me what settings you have got on for your Metroid Fusion to work because I have tryed 4 copys but still no luck and if you do post cheers m8 :)
Metroid Fusion (E) and it hangs while you are watching intro , before story intro finish.
In my previuos testing i don´t wait till intro finish :rolleyes:
Before it works with no problems.( i mean with Zodttd last release.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Exophase for this release.

It is running pretty fast and the sound is MUCH better now, It hardly stutters even on my slow 240 MHz machine.

Once the lock-ups are fixed this will be fantastic (had it lock on Castlevania after 5 minutes).
Pac-Man collection doesn't work. The beginning with the "rippling blue pac-background" doesn't animate and when you select something it locks up. This may be a good bug test game because it does it right away and consistantly.

Great work, again thanks :)

DaveC said:
Thanks Exophase for this release.

It is running pretty fast and the sound is MUCH better now, It hardly stutters even on my slow 240 MHz machine.

Great work, again thanks :)
Yes, sound is cristal clear now :)

Well, i am gonna play Winning Eleven :lol: B)

Sorry about the lack of inclusion of mmuhack.o.

Do use it though (if you don't have it grab the previous version from zodttd).

I'm going to get these compatability issues worked out of course, then on to more fun. I think it's time I start getting serious with profiling, but with custom profilers (this is not normal code.. just like there has almost never been a good reason to use gdb but I've had to spend probably hundreds of hours in the CPU debugger >_>)

I'm actually kinda looking forward to it.

Funny thing, I thought that my fairly optimized C code would be producing good ASM. Turns out GCC for ARM sucks. I tried writing my own version of the expand_blend function and it ended up being a little over half the instructions in the GCC version (37 for GCC, 19 for me) - what's more, they used all the registers and were spilling like crazy, both with immediates and onto the stack. I still have two registers free! And I'm not an expert at ARM ASM (well, maybe it doesn't take a lot to be good enough. Or at least better than the compiler :|)

Now I understand why everyone touts hand-rolled ASM here, because the compiler is junk! At least the translated code + stubs are MY trusted machine code being ran. I just know that I won't be able to rewrite my video.c in ASM any time soon :( But those blend functions could be using a big chunk of time. Again, profiling. Should be fun :B

I guess I'm late to the party, but this is quite impressive! Compatibility seems to be much lower (as it seems you know), but the speed's outstanding! Everything I've thrown at it has been fullspeed at 200 so far.

Well the speed is great. I don't know what you did with the scaling but its a LOT better :)

Anyway heres the obligatory list of games which no longer work:

Wario Ware, Inc.
Wario Ware Twisted

Also the "Cheats and Misc. Options" makes it freeze.

I realize this is an alpha release, thus bugs are to be expected.

Pokemon Sapphire might be broken as well. I'll try another version. Ruby and Emerald work.

Blah said:
Well the speed is great. I don't know what you did with the scaling but its a LOT better :)

Anyway heres the obligatory list of games which no longer work:

Wario Ware, Inc.
Wario Ware Twisted

Also the "Cheats and Misc. Options" makes it freeze.

I realize this is an alpha release, thus bugs are to be expected.

Pokemon Sapphire might be broken as well. I'll try another version. Ruby and Emerald work.

I think Warioware requires a motion sensor built in the cartridge, don't it?

I haven´t included mmuhack.It helps the performance Exo? Anyway the emulator is running almost fullspeed for every game i throught to it :D 275 OC

reiboul said:
I think Warioware requires a motion sensor built in the cartridge, don't it?
Twisted did, but theres a hacked version that uses L & R.

Both worked in Zod's release.

I can run my copy of Zelda/4 swords/Link to the past.

I found out that there is an "old-school intro" on the ROM that is not only as annoying as hell but also probably kept it from booting in the last few versions.

If anyone has a Rom that won't load, check it on some PC emulators to see if somebody added an intro. I never knew there were people adding intros to GBA roms, like they are so cool because they have a Rom reader.

btw it is really fast :). NFS Porsche Unleashed is almost playably fast on manual FS4 without sound at 240mhz, no scaling no filtering ( I don't know the ram timings so I can't apply them, but it might be faster if I did.) NFS Underground is too slow to play still, but I left the sound on, so that might be part of the problem.

lol I was about to get really mad until I read about removing the lolz.

Great Release, Thank You.

Exophase said:
Funny thing, I thought that my fairly optimized C code would be producing good ASM. Turns out GCC for ARM sucks. I tried writing my own version of the expand_blend function and it ended up being a little over half the instructions in the GCC version (37 for GCC, 19 for me) - what's more, they used all the registers and were spilling like crazy, both with immediates and onto the stack. I still have two registers free! And I'm not an expert at ARM ASM (well, maybe it doesn't take a lot to be good enough. Or at least better than the compiler :|)

Now I understand why everyone touts hand-rolled ASM here, because the compiler is junk!

Well I see that as good news for all emulators that don't currently use asm then! :)

Unfortunately I've never used ARM asm - you could find that the more optimised you code something, the less the compiler can optimise?

I rarely resort to asm any more - weird as 10+ years ago I preferred it - just shows how much more complex my software has become I guess.

Very nice, although i have a ds + flashcard which can run all my gba roms at fullspeed I tried this one out just to be able to play in gp2x fullscreen. Speed's is very nice but Pkmn Emerald crashed when trying to save in-game.... ://

evol said:
i for one welcome our new Gpsp2x overlords....
Coolest reply ever. ^_^

Thank you so much for this, Exophase. Circle of the Moon runs without hiccupy audio now. ^_^ And everything looks a whole lot smoother than before. The only game I tested that wasn't 100% playable (by my own standards) was Golden Sun (which would probably still be okay with disabled audio, but hiccups like there's no tomorrow ^^; ). There were a few that crashed on startup too (Densetsu no Stafi, which worked with the previous version, and Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu), but I'm extremely impressed with how quickly this emulator is progressing and, as I never did own a GBA, I'm quite excited to give some of its library a go at last. ^_^ Thanks a bunch.

I've been wanting to get an emulator for a handheld working well on the gp2x as I have come to believe that the games will "feel" better compared to emus of platforms that originally wanted a keyboard or mouse.

However, not knowing much about GBA I grabbed a few random games and was disappointed that none of them work close to full speed even with overclocking and massive frameskip. Yet this thread is one of many praising the speed of the GBA emulator. :blink: (The bubble game included in the archive works ok, but isn't a patch on FluboPuyo! :p )

Can anyone think of something I'm doing wrong? (I just copied the files + bios + roms to the SD card and left everything at default.) Alternatively does anyone have some suggestions of which games run well and which to avoid?

Thanks.

OK, 1st April is over, maybe you can change the link in the 1st post?
EDIT: Oh I see you just changed it :p

From the Readme: GP2X people have already donated a lot more to me than PSP people have, even though there's an order of magnitude or two less users.

As stated in zodtdd's signature, for Paypal donations to Exophase use:
exophase [...a.t...] gmail [...d.o.t...] com

If you can, show your appreciation and continue to let Exophase know what the GP2X community is about :)

Laser, you must save overclock with Y and then press select.

Back