Gplynx - Atari Lynx

Hi just tested and found a few bugz. It seems to be stuck in BLU+ mode. I tried it on my BLU+ and it was fine, when I tried it on the BLU the screen was all glitched out. I don't have the "BLU" file in any directory.

Also the sound is stuttery and kind of skippy. It seems to be out of sync (speeds up slows down) with the game as well, even when "audio with sync" is enabled.

It seems that .03f was about as fast and the sound was more accurate without the stutter. The flicker was not too bad with .03f either.

Thanks again for everything.

Hi Dave,

I will look for the blu+ isue.

I only added the 'audio sync' option for games which run nearly at fullspeed or faster. I implemented it quite stupid :). If the game runs slower, that option makes the speed worse...
/I think I implement it different, I just had an idea/

I added a "feature" after the version 0.3f I think.. If the game runs slower, it interpolates sound data on a stupid way. I will change that or add one more sound option.

Well thanks for the info. You don't know until you try something, it is worth experimenting you never know. I think if you use .3f and just optimize it should be ok. I wouldn't worry about the flicker that much it wasn't too bad. In Many games it was barely noticeable.

Thanks again for the continuing work on this, it is appreciated :)

oh yes, the last version posted here has actually a flicker-free screen. looks very nice :)

Hi,

I created a blu.txt, started the emu and deleted it and started it once again. That worked for me, I currently don't know the problem..

I've done the audio sync option better. It doesn't take any performance and if the emu isn't fast enough there are no strange slow downs.

Further more I managed to speed up the emu a bit (not the version compiled with -O2)

I just tested the 0.3f version from my homepage, and it does nearly not flicker. The current version flickers in my eys (?? :eek:) ) less, but it runs faster.

With Chip's Challenge (no sound, 156mhz, frameskip2) the Version 0.3f runs with ~60fps. The current version with 68fps.
Gates of zendecon also runs faster.

GPLynx50.fxe 7% slower then the other version, but flickers nearly not at all

fishybawb posted on Oct 24 2005 at 03:53 PM said:
Thanks tuskenraider, you've done a great job on this emu! As for the flickering being possibly bandwidth related, does that mean you'll be upgrading to a GP2X? And bringing GPLynx with you? ;) :D

YeS', I've ordered a gp2x :) But the money is still missing in my pocket :blink: Somehow it will work out :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
tuskenraider2k posted on Oct 26 2005 at 09:12 AM said:
Thanks tuskenraider, you've done a great job on this emu!  As for the flickering being possibly bandwidth related, does that mean you'll be upgrading to a GP2X?  And bringing GPLynx with you?  ;)  :D

YeS', I've ordered a gp2x :) But the money is still missing in my pocket :blink: Somehow it will work out :rolleyes:

Do you have a paypal account? Maybe some of us would give a little money for your nice work :)

DaveC posted on Oct 26 2005 at 02:05 PM said:
tuskenraider2k posted on Oct 26 2005 at 09:12 AM said:
Thanks tuskenraider, you've done a great job on this emu! As for the flickering being possibly bandwidth related, does that mean you'll be upgrading to a GP2X? And bringing GPLynx with you? ;) :D

Do you have a paypal account? Maybe some of us would give a little money for your nice work :)
good call davec my old mucker! what currency do we send?

moz posted on Oct 26 2005 at 08:59 PM said:
good call davec my old mucker! what currency do we send?

I think Paypal converts it when he cashes it.

hmm, I was wondering... I never really noticed the flickering too much so much as certain vertical lines that stay constantly their (like setting BLU+ mode in Dr.MD with a NLU) I was wondering if it's just me or is it trying to setup the lcd like a BLU+ even when it isn't?

Hooka posted on Oct 28 2005 at 10:31 PM said:
hmm, I was wondering... I never really noticed the flickering too much so much as certain vertical lines that stay constantly their (like setting BLU+ mode in Dr.MD with a NLU) I was wondering if it's just me or is it trying to setup the lcd like a BLU+ even when it isn't?

Yes it is stuck in BLU+ mode. I have the same problem. I tried it on a BLU+ and the screen was fine. The sound is stuttery in this version too. Try version .3f (the one before this one) The sound is much more stable and the screen doesn't flicker that much, and runs without BLU+ lines, it is the best version as of now.

tuskenraider2k posted on Oct 26 2005 at 04:03 AM said:
Hi,

I created a blu.txt, started the emu and deleted it and started it once again. That worked for me, I currently don't know the problem..

I've done the audio sync option better. It doesn't take any performance and if the emu isn't fast enough there are no strange slow downs.

Further more I managed to speed up the emu a bit (not the version compiled with -O2)

I just tested the 0.3f version from my homepage, and it does nearly not flicker. The current version flickers in my eys (?? :eek:) ) less, but it runs faster.

With Chip's Challenge (no sound, 156mhz, frameskip2) the Version 0.3f runs with ~60fps. The current version with 68fps.
Gates of zendecon also runs faster.

GPLynx50.fxe 7% slower then the other version, but flickers nearly not at all

Hi, I tried version 5.1 and found that after I loaded a saved game (a saved game from version .4) and then choose "Continue" from the menu it just looked like a full-screen screenshot of the saved game. Nothing was moving. It was like the emulator wouldn't start from the save point. I seem to get flickering in all versions, but sometimes it's just not as much as other versions. Thanks for your work on the gpLynx, it's my favorite emu for gp32!

One other thing I noticed. Sometimes when I press start for the menu I get a fuzzy screen of random colors and everyhting locks up. I was wondering if you pause the emulator when going to the menu, or if you basically do a quicksave and then quickrestore when going to and from the start menu? I wonder if one would be more reliable than the other?

I'm thinking that when I get that lockup it's because I'm running at 160MHz. I cannot run at that speed with Osnes9XGP (Reesy) without a lockup. I have to back off to 154MHz to get a stable game. Maybe I'm just lucky it runs at 160MHz most of the time in GPLynx.

Tuskenraider, so you think some kind of auto frameskip option would be useful? For game slike Chips Challenge I can only use frameskip 1 because it gets too sloppy and I end up in the water when trying to move around, but things like California Games doesn't need such precision.

Back