Gplynx

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Just a small update in case you think I've given up on the GpLynx thingy...

CPU core is about 85% done
Mikie (System) is 70% done
Mikie (Sound) is 5% done (fakes most of it, no actual sound output)
Susie (Sprites) is 70% done
Memory (re)mapping - 100% done
Glue code for the above 100% done
Interface 1% done (no actual interface, assumes game name, etc and boots game upon loading the gxb)

Compatibility: Only tested with one game so far - Awesome Golf. Runs the title screen at full speed. Actual game itself doesn't run (most likely due to missing stuff above).

Current Frameskip: 1

CPU Speed: 132Mhz. Non selectable (may change later).

wow, i'm waiting for it! i have a lynx, but it's soo big and it eats up batteries. and i love this handheld very much. especially slimeworld :)

can you estimate, when a first release will be out?

I just played some lynx games using handy and I must say I am pumped about your effort squidge--You have one die hard fan already and you haven't even finished it!! keep up the great effort!

Nice to hear an update - Hope it keeps on going well; I'm really looking forward to Lynx emulation. Then we'll just need a wonderswan emu that actually runs at a decent speed, and we'll have a full complement of handheld systems, I think :D

Great work, Squidge :)

Curious critter that I am, I've got a few questions:
  • Is it easier to make Mikie and Susie work together when they are pieces of software (modules, classes?) inside the emulator? As far as I recall, both processors had to work together inside the Lynx to produce the results.
  • What are the most major difficulties in coding this together?
  • Since Com-Lynx was a serial based system, and the GP32's EXT port is serial as well, will this allow a possible Com-Lynx feature in the emulator?
Aside from these questions, I say that things are looking good :)

DrJones posted on May 11 2004 at 01:48 PM said:
Since Com-Lynx was a serial based system, and the GP32's EXT port is serial as well, will this allow a possible Com-Lynx feature in the emulator?
Mmmmmm, multiplayer Rampart....

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on May 11 2004 at 10:21 AM said:
Just a small update in case you think I've given up on the GpLynx thingy...

CPU core is about 70% done
Mikie (System) is 50% done
Mikie (Sound) is 5% done (fakes most of it, no actual sound output)
Susie (Sprites) is 60% done
Memory (re)mapping - 100% done
Glue code for the above 100% done
Interface 1% done (no actual interface, assumes game name, etc and boots game upon loading the gxb)

Compatibility: Only tested with one game so far - Awesome Golf. Runs the title screen at full speed. Actual game itself doesn't run (most likely due to missing stuff above).

Frameskip: 0 :) (currently, most likely will increase when more of the above is implemented)

CPU Speed: 132Mhz. Non selectable (may change later).
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

0-bake posted on May 11 2004 at 10:43 AM said:
wow, i'm waiting for it! i have a lynx, but it's soo big and it eats up batteries. and i love this handheld very much. especially slimeworld :)

can you estimate, when a first release will be out?
Slimeworld rulez!

V.Good, older handheld systems are something the GP32 needs good emulators for.
For the sound don't bother, concentrate on getting stuff actually working first (I always play with low volume anyway...)

* Is it easier to make Mikie and Susie work together when they are pieces of software (modules, classes?) inside the emulator? As far as I recall, both processors had to work together inside the Lynx to produce the results.

When they are software, anything is possible :)

Yes, the chips can interface & interfere with each other.

* What are the most major difficulties in coding this together?

Timing issues & working out decent algorithms that doesn't result in an emulator running at 1fps. There are easy ways to do most of the stuff requires, but they don't really apply when you want the emu fast on what is really a slow processor.

* Since Com-Lynx was a serial based system, and the GP32's EXT port is serial as well, will this allow a possible Com-Lynx feature in the emulator?

It's certainly possible! I have to emulate serial support for Awesome Golf anyway, otherwise the title screen never gets filled in (had me searching for hours trying to figure out what the fault was...)

You'd need a serial lead with rx & tx tied together for it to work (as the Lynx was single-wire), but I don't think thats a problem.

sound was always an afterthought (at best) on Lynx games anyway.

a couple games like Klax really sounded impressive though. I used to sit and listen to the title screen music for..uh.. minutes. LX Rudis rocks!!

(I would play a LOT of california games on a Lynx emu -- I have it on a real lynx, which I agree is huge and unwieldy by today's standards but.. still a lot of fun!! The Lynx version of that game was markedly different from other ports, BTW)

Updated percentages on first page. Expect a techdemo sometime soon :) (Not this weekend, but soonish)

man it sounds youve done a lot of work on it
i can't wait to try it out when your done
i never had a lynx and it sounds fun to play
good luck

ralp99 posted on May 11 2004 at 07:35 PM said:
sound was always an afterthought (at best) on Lynx games anyway.

a couple games like Klax really sounded impressive though. I used to sit and listen to the title screen music for..uh.. minutes. LX Rudis rocks!!

(I would play a LOT of california games on a Lynx emu -- I have it on a real lynx, which I agree is huge and unwieldy by today's standards but.. still a lot of fun!! The Lynx version of that game was markedly different from other ports, BTW)
You should hear the sound on the intro screen in Robotron, it was full stereo and sounded really good.

Back