gpDrive 0.3 Beta

Absolutly fantastic.. you are a genius!!!!

I couldn't use my laptop to access my GP32 for the longest time because I messed up the driver. But now I have been using it all day.. WooHoo!

You need to create a nice backdrop :)

Oh, and someone needs to include this into the next Multifirmware.

weird..does not work for me.
Device appears within MY COMPUTER but when trying to access any file in the GPMM folder it win2k gives me an access error. Neither read nor write works in that folder or in any of its subfolders. Strange. PLUS the lines "Received my address from host ok" and "Received my config from host ok" appear about 10 times when getting the windows access error.
this is exactly the same error me has. I connected like SteveO said...

Last edited by a moderator:
under linux kernel 2.4.23... it doesn't work

I get this in dmesg:
hub.c: new USB device 00:13.2-1.2, assigned address 5
usb.c: unable to get device descriptor (error=-32)
hub.c: new USB device 00:13.2-1.2, assigned address 6
usb.c: unable to get device descriptor (error=-32)

by the way, just a question:
I tried it under windows XP, it worked well.
I noticed that long filenames were allowed.

Does it mean that the gp32 can read long filenames?

Long filenames are written on the disk in such a way that Windows will recognise them, but gp32 will ignore them and use shortened versions instead.

I'll have to look into the linux problems as I'm not sure why they are occuring.

This program is absoloutely amazing, The way PC link SHOULD have been! Kudos squidge.

Squidge, any chance of writing a routine that'd let GP32 programs read long filenames? I.e. read from the vfat accompanying files that windows writes?

I suspect it'd make quite a few people's lives a fair bit easier, even if it is a bit on a tangent...

A library could certainly be written to enable that, and I wouldn't mind writing it as long as people used it. However, due to the amount of time required for such a library, it would be read-only, but I don't think that would matter to much for most people. The only time you write to the smc is to update highscore tables, configuration and the like, and these could use standard 8+3 names. Could be a bit of a nightmare for a filemanager though.

Ok, new month, new version time :)

Here's 0.31. It's had a partial re-write. I noticed some bugs in the old code, and rather than fix the bugs, I rewrote a complete section to make it easier to understand and generally better. Knowing my luck, it probably has more bugs than the old one ;)

Another addition to this version is the addition of more debugging support - so if it still doesn't work on your os, try and write down as much from the screen as possible and throw it in this thread, by pm or by email and i'll see what I can do.

Check the first post for the new version.

A library could certainly be written to enable that, and I wouldn't mind writing it as long as people used it. However, due to the amount of time required for such a library, it would be read-only, but I don't think that would matter to much for most people. The only time you write to the smc is to update highscore tables, configuration and the like, and these could use standard 8+3 names. Could be a bit of a nightmare for a filemanager though.
Read only's better than nothing :) - its something that I have to say I'm marginally surprised hasn't already been done. You're right about the file-manager bit though...

This should be a part of MultiFW. Absolutely essential.
By the way I created a Windups icon for it.

GPdrive.GIF

hmm... really can't get it to work on win98SE... but then again, can't get the pc link program to work either, so that I might have got soething to do with it XD

Now why may I ask does my USB/Ethernet adapter stop working every time I use gpDrive? Is this a coiencidence??? (sp?) ;)

Everything related to the prob (I think) that I have is:

2 USB 1.1 ports on one controller
Win XP
CATC USB/Ethernet adapter
GP32 w/ gpDrive... (obviously ;) )

rcx21000 posted on Feb 3 2004 at 05:50 PM said:
Now why may I ask does my USB/Ethernet adapter stop working every time I use gpDrive? Is this a coiencidence??? (sp?) ;)
I had once a similar problem with Windows XP and gpdrive 0.31, the GP32 driver went crazy and the gp32 could not be detected anymore. But later (after a reboot) it came back :huh:
The debug screen of gpdrive did not give any piece of information. Also pclink could not work anymore.
It seems like a GP32 and USB port issue, like a "free the USB port" which is not done (I do not know how it really work).

edit: bad spelling, again and again

Im gonna do what I always do : wait untill its as perfect as possible, because im very protective of my GP32, and I dnt want anything to go wrong....

Deleted User posted on Feb 3 2004 at 08:24 PM said:
Im gonna do what I always do : wait untill its as perfect as possible, because im very protective of my GP32, and I dnt want anything to go wrong....
Just make a backup and you can use it fully without any risk, it won"t kill you. Good things like this one shouldn't be waited too long ;)
And the more people testing it, the less bugs there will be in the stable version.

(biased advice from a mad alpha tester) :ph34r:

I just unplugged & replugged the USB/Ethernet adapter, and it worked... But I'm not using gpDrive until thats fixed because I porgram and use inet at the same time... :) (but I would do anything you need just to test it...)

P.S. gpDrive is faster than my SMC reader :huh:

divadsci posted on Feb 4 2004 at 09:57 PM said:
has anyone got it to work with windows 2k?
I'm gonna test it tomorrow with windows 2k at my university, an perhaps with a Mandrake (cannot remember the version neither the kernel). ;)

Back