GPDrive 0.5

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Well, here's the new version. The runs at approx 515kb/sec from gp -> pc and 236kb - 266kb/sec from pc -> gp. Strangely enough, Windows explorer seems to be the fastest for uploading to the gp32.

Since this release contains new SMC routines that talk directly to the hardware, it's recommended to backup your smc before using this software with it (If you don't bother and it corrupts your card, don't come crying to me). I have tested it with a 32mb, 64mb and 128mb card with multiple small and large (30mb+) files, but I can't test everything.

This version will eat small files for breakfast :) It contains codes that will detect constantly updating content and buffer them in memory instead of writing them to the smc at every change. This increases the performance of writing as well as increasing the life of the card (as rewriting is reduced). For this reason, you MUST press the select button to exit the software - if you turn off or remove the smc instead, you will loose the buffered content.

It's also 30kb smaller than the previous version :)

===

Also:

This version contains a small utility to rescue dead SMC cards - the likes of which that refuse to be read/written and even formatted. This is basically a low level format, and should only ever be used as a last result. All data on the card will be permanently lost by using this utility. After running, the card will require formatting before it's usable.

To use this utility, hold down the LEFT shoulder button whilst loading the software, and follow the instructions. It's recommended to fill the card with a few big files to ensure the cards integrity before using it for anything important.

===

Errors:

If the program fails to erase a required block on the card, it will say so on the GP32's screen, and will refuse all write operations from then on. These kind of messages start with either a few asterix characters, or the word "STOP" in capitals. There's not much you can do here however as this is a critical error. You could try using a different SMC, or backup the card and use a low level format, but the latter is not recommended unless your absolutely desperate.

===

OS compatibility.

The only OS this software has been tested on is WindowsXP Pro. You are welcome to try it on other operating systems. Don't expect it to work under Win98 or lower however, as they lack a required driver, and I don't have the time to make one.

===

Disclaimer:

I'm not responsible for anything this program does to you, your data, your gp32, your sanity, etc, etc...

sorry but I cant get it working, it only reset my Gp32.
I use Multifirm.

:huh:

LTK666 posted on Mar 3 2004 at 12:12 AM said:
sorry but I cant get it working, it only reset my Gp32.
I use Multifirm.

:huh:
aquafish said his 3.x firmwares weren't stable so perhaps you should upgrade yours. I cannot test it myself as batteries needs to be fully charged for a clean firmware flash :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks damaki I´m gona upgrade to Aqua 4. Thank for answering so fast.

:D Thanks

how does the program work? how do u get windows to see GP32 as a removable drive? when it run GPDrive.fxe on my GP32 it just shows tons of numbers scrolling downwards after a few button presses

Hi,

nice tool!

Just a question.
Will gpdrive use the usb massstorage.class driver?
(I havent any positiv answer of my usb stack here :( .)
So we can use ouer gp32 as a "memorystick" on every OS!

To get it to work properly, all you need do is run the software, and then plugin the usb cable after it has loaded and displayed it's welcome screen. No need to press any buttons until you need to exit.

Yes, it uses the mass storage class driver.

so you're uploading a 166mb file phoda! what kind of memory card have you got :p

Well, now i have this on the GP screen:

recived address
request descriptor (000108)

and my usb stack says:

device enumeration failed, sorry.
GET_DESCRIPTOR(len 18) failed: endpoint stall(4)

and no classbinding to the massstorage.class

any idea?

jlebrech posted on Mar 3 2004 at 08:06 AM said:
so you're uploading a 166mb file phoda! what kind of memory card have you got :p
My thoughts exactly - is this a way of saying you've got a 256mb SMC card that works?!?

Nah. Prolly just a typo. But its nice to dream :)

Has anybody got this to work on windows ME? I can get it to start, but then it gives a configuration 0000, might be due to the firmware though, just wanted to know if it runs on ME for anyone?

Previous version didn't work for me, this one does. Very nice piece of software squidge! It's nice to see a link solution that finally works. The only negative thing I can think of is the interface. It would be nice to see wich files the program is writing and some sort of progress bar.

But even if this is the last version you release it'll prolly be the link method of choice for the majority of GP32 users, myself included :)

LTK666 posted on Mar 3 2004 at 12:55 AM said:
I have update to Aquafirm 4, but the same is happenig. :(
it works here with multi firmware 3.2, 4 and XP sp1. you must have another problem on your side.

damaki posted on Mar 3 2004 at 11:41 AM said:
LTK666 posted on Mar 3 2004 at 12:55 AM said:
I have update to Aquafirm 4, but the same is happenig. :(
it works here with multi firmware 3.2, 4 and XP sp1. you must have another problem on your side.
I tried formating my SMC, I put gpDrive.fxe in GPmm dir with Pc-Link and I laun it form the european firm menu (pac rom fails running) and the screen turns blank and reset Gp. :(

Lee posted on Mar 3 2004 at 08:31 AM said:
Well, now i have this on the GP screen:

recived address
request descriptor (000108)

and my usb stack says:

device enumeration failed, sorry.
GET_DESCRIPTOR(len 18) failed: endpoint stall(4)

and no classbinding to the massstorage.class

any idea?
Any chance of a fuller/more detailed log via PM?

Back