gpDrive 0.3 Beta

Hey folks,

Here's another new version. This one supports a few more commands, and some old commands have had features added. Hopefully, this means it'll work on more OS's now.

If it doesn't work on your favourite os, try and provide as much information as possible (whats on the gp32's screen while gpDrive is running provides valuable diagnostic information if you can grab it).

Try it out and give me ya feedback :)

Win98 requires a driver to be written, and so therefore stands little chance of being supported. WinXP/2K/Mac/Linux do not require drivers, so it will be working on these first.

If anyone is willing to create a driver, then contact me for the driver id's and the like.

Zero3K: Didn't the drivers posted in this thread work on your machine?

still doesnt seem to work on W2k. i can access the folders but when i try to click on a file it jsut freezes. also trying to write a file it seems to stop after a few KB (literally). alsop when i use it it seems to disconnect my alcatel speedtouch usb modem and i have to restart to get it to work again.

here the promised bug report for Win2k pro, GPdrive 0.31, copying a file to GP32
GP32 :

(1)

received descriptor(000112)
received descriptor(000209)
received config (010000)
descriptor (000140)
received address

looping back to (1)

PC :
delayed writing failed

ooops, a bit late. I will test the new version too :)

Squidge: Nope, couldn't install it (when I tried to install the USB Disk Controller driver, it said that the included file didn't have any info for my hardware in it)

damaki: do you happen to have a mobo with a VIA chipset? if so, the problem might be the drivers. the VIA 4in1's changelog said that the "delayed write failed" bug has been fixed in 4.51. (i have a VIA board and win2k and i have the same problems as you) i haven't tried these yet as i can't try out the latest gpDrive because my batteries are on the charger. tell me if these helped or not.

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1...04IN1_V451v.zip
changelog: http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1...4in1release.doc

jegHegy posted on Feb 6 2004 at 04:12 PM said:
damaki: do you happen to have a mobo with a VIA chipset? if so, the problem might be the drivers. the VIA 4in1's changelog said that the "delayed write failed" bug has been fixed in 4.51. (i have a VIA board and win2k and i have the same problems as you) i haven't tried these yet as i can't try out the latest gpDrive because my batteries are on the charger. tell me if these helped or not.

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1...04IN1_V451v.zip
changelog: http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1...4in1release.doc
It is a motherboard with an intel chipset and it is not mine (university). And these computers work perfectly with other mass storage devices like mp3 players and USB keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, I've borrowed a pc from work and are going to install Win98 & Win2K on it and see exactly what these problems are and hopefully fix'em :)

Thinking about it, I'm sure I've seen a version of Windows Longhorn in that Microsoft Developer Network Pack somewhere, maybe I could try that also...

Not really other than w2k just being a complete pig! I never thought an external hardware device could crash an operating system before. Obviously, Microsoft seem to assume a bit too much about how a piece of hardware behaves, and so when one gets plugged in that goes nuts, instead of ignoring it like on Linux, it crashes the OS with a nice blue screen of death. Ho humm....

You really want Win98 support don't you? Even though it's now no longer the most popular os, and has become unsupported by Microsoft and several other companies.

At the moment, I just don't have the time (or knowledge) to write Windows drivers, so are concentrating on the OS's that have the drivers built in.

Well, I'll have Windows 98 SE until I get a new computer (which should be this Christmas).

Someone in some other community should make a virtual layer for Win9x to allow it to use the 2k/XP driver system... not that it'd be POSSIBLE, but it'd be nice for those people who still use that system (including myself every so often)

Well, something good has happened. I've swapped source codes with Firefly (author of the original usb mass storage, although only read-only), so he now has smc read/write functions, and I have multi-os compatibility :)

Whether or not the routines make it into his version is up to him really, but I'll certainly be borrowing a few things from his code :)

So, Zero3K and others, Win98 support may not be that far away!

Back