GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

yeah i've had that happen before, too. it seems to be that you need to wait a bit for posting and editing, or editing and saving, or something like that.

now i'm forever stuck with a grammatical error somewhere... thankfully i've forgotten where...

For me too, it says "how the see companies" in the above text, but when I tried replying to it, in the edit box it's correctly saying "how they see companies".

very strange bugs in the xenforo stuff... maybe they can look into the flags and the ghost edits?

so its definately OFF/SLOW/FAST:| O well, at least I don't have to pay for it

I'm really looking forward to getting the WIN. Hopefully not that much longer.

There was another video released recently showing how the fan makes a big difference.
The same demanding game was played on a Z8700 fanless WIN and at the same time on a Z8750 WIN with a fan. At the end of the gaming session, the fanless version hit 80C while the WIN with a fan got to 57C.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to getting the WIN. Hopefully not that much longer.

There was another video released recently showing how the fan makes a big difference.
The same demanding game was played on a Z8700 fanless WIN and at the same time on a Z8750 WIN with a fan. At the end of the gaming session, the fanless version hit 80C while the WIN with a fan got to 57C.
I think the fan solved the heat issue. I simply hope that the copper will Be enough for the light gaming.

After trying to make the best of the horrible battery life and thermal performance of an x86 tablet I don't feel good about the GPD WIN. Seeing all the necessary technical additions in place just to keep this thing operating normally I can't imagine what the battery life will be like.

The more I look at it the more I think ARM is where its at for a device like this. It would be great to run all my software on a pocketable device, but some point you have to cut your losses and move on. Just my opinion.

After trying to make the best of the horrible battery life and thermal performance of an x86 tablet I don't feel good about the GPD WIN. Seeing all the necessary technical additions in place just to keep this thing operating normally I can't imagine what the battery life will be like.

The more I look at it the more I think ARM is where its at for a device like this. It would be great to run all my software on a pocketable device, but some point you have to cut your losses and move on. Just my opinion.
Personnaly I'm fine with 4hours of gaming.

I keep a 13000 mAh battery with me for my phone and now broken tablet that rarely sees use beyond 10% of its charge so I should be able to use that to double or more the life of the Win.

So I wonder... there are really two ways out of a thermal bind.

Can the GPD Win be underclocked until it can be held at thermal equilibrium?

isn't that just regular throttling?

No. With "regular throttling" the system is allowed to run at warp speeds until it hits a thermal wall and is then kneecaped to cool back down then once it cools enough it flips back to warp speeds until it overheats, etc.

The problem with that is that there is no consistent performance envelope that can be seen as 'continuous'.

Hypothetical example:

A game performs at 100% CPU at a stellar 40fps until...
The SoC overheats and drops to 50% CPU and performance drops to an unacceptable 20fps until...
The SoC cools back down enough and pops to 100% CPU and performance bumps up to a stellar 40fps... repeated loop of irregular performance.

Vs.
The CPU gets underclocked to 75%. The game performs at a constant and very acceptable 30fps without interruption or change.

Hypothetical example to explain the point. Underclocking can be nearly as useful as overclocking.

ok, good to know the distinction. not sure it will work as advertised, but interested in seeing results ;)

I was reading on Dingoonity, and a comment was posted from GPD saying that the fan can only be manually operated. So does that mean that the user presses a switch that toggles the fan between off and full RPM?

If so this is a very limited design. It's going to be really annoying to have to constantly turn the fan on when you think it'ss needed and off when you think it isn't, or live with the drain on power consumption and noise by having it always run (and also deal with increased wear...). Plus no ability to run the fan at a lower speed if that's all that's necessary for cooling.

It's NOT a good compromise unless the thermal management software notifies/WARNS you of heat levels and you have a way of manually turning on the internal fan/cooling. It seems funny, but maybe it could work. maybe an LED showing the temp status (grren to red)...and you can monitor it and be aware of what's going on inside of the device by sheer experience with it.

It's NOT a good compromise unless the thermal management software notifies/WARNS you of heat levels and you have a way of manually turning on the internal fan/cooling. It seems funny, but maybe it could work. maybe an LED showing the temp status (grren to red)...and you can monitor it and be aware of what's going on inside of the device by sheer experience with it.

If they can't wire up a fan for software control chances aren't that good that could do so for a new LED :/

Back